got me some cornwalls x 2

SBinLilRock

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm a longtime Klipsch lover. I've been slowly improving my speakers over the years. I got some RF-7 II's about a year ago and really love them, but I've been yearning for something out of the Heritage line for a long time. Well early last month I was perusing the local CL and saw some really nice Cornwalls. They were 83's in near mint condition and were only about 20 minutes from my house. It took a goodly amount of convincing the wife how great a find it was. She was a hard sell (RF-7's are only a year old), but somehow I swayed her. Same day I found them, I had them later that night. I got them in the middle of the week, so I had to wait 'til the weekend to get 'em hooked up (had to do some reconfiguring in the living room). When I finally got to hear them, it was magical. They sounded exactly as I had hoped they would. [:D]

Well, a couple weeks go by and I'm looking at CL again, and dang it--the same guy has another set of corns. These are 87's and just as gorgeous. The squirl wheel in my head went into overdrive as I thought to my self how awesome it would be to have another set .[6], but how in the world would I pull this off? Much, much more convincing (I don't think I can ever question one of her purchases again), but I got 'em.

I am running out of room (I think I'm now officically out) in my living room. I've got a 7.2 system with the RF-7 II's, and now the two sets of CWs. Because of the lack of space (and because I had hear how it sounded), I have them stacked for now. They gel very well together. I have them hooked up where I can A, B or A+B them.

This past weekend I heard a little bit of a crackling drag after vocals coming from the midrange of the 83's. It was at extreme high volume. My son and I were doing the old--how loud can they go test. It wasn't noticeable at reasonable volume, and I probably wouldn't have notice it if the 87's weren't there too. I talked with BEC and he said that was unusual from the midrange. They mostly either work or don't. He recommended we start with the crossovers. He has them now--said he hopes to get them shipped out today. I'm looking forward to getting the corntowers rolling again. I'm pretty sure the crossovers will fix it. I'm not too worried about it, because they sounded great at normal levels--even my normal loud volume. I kind of wanted to get the crossovers updated anyway because of their age.

Any way that's my Cornwall story. I will get some pictures on here as soon as I figure it out. Copying and pasting is not working so good.

Since you want to have them stacked, then try this...flip the ones on top upside down...so that the HF sections of each channel are nearest to each other in each channel...you may be very surprised at the change in what you hear!

-Andy

P.S. Look at the back of the 1983 Cornwalls...on the rear edge of the side panel at the top, if you see an "A" stamped into the edge, they were built by me. I left in September 1983, but I normally had enough cabinets built to last about a month or so before they got through final assembly and serial numbers were assigned to them. If there is a two-letter combination stamped in the spot I described and one of the letters is an "A" and the other letter is an "S" then Steve was helping me build that day.

-Andy

The 83's were $1500. He was asking $1500 for the 87's too, but since I just bought the 83's from him, he gave them to me for $1400. I think I probably paid a premium price for them, but both sets are almost flawless. The guy I bought them from (he buys and sells heritage line on a regular basis) said they were the best conditioned cornwalls he had--of course he was selling them. Both times I went to pick them up he had them set up in his personal system on either side of his Christmas tree. He had a lot of interesting stuff to look at. He had serveral sets of speakers in his garage that he was selling. I didn't get to spend much time seeing what all he had. I did see a beutiful set of Belles and several Heresy sets. He also had an old cornwall (horizontal type) with an off-white honeycomb looking grill that was pretty cool.

I've got a Pioneer Spec 4 amp going to them. It's 150 w per channel 8ohm and I think 180 w 4ohm. I was a little concerned about the 4 ohm load on the amp when all 4 are playing, but so far it seems to be up to the task. The room is about 21'x 21'. As you can see in the pic it is vaulted to one side like a big triangle. One side of the room is open, so there is a lot of volume to fill--the corns don't have any problems fillin' it though[:)]

The 83's were $1500. He was asking $1500 for the 87's too, but since I just bought the 83's from him, he gave them to me for $1400. I think I probably paid a premium price for them, but both sets are almost flawless. The guy I bought them from (he buys and sells heritage line on a regular basis) said they were the best conditioned cornwalls he had--of course he was selling them. Both times I went to pick them up he had them set up in his personal system on either side of his Christmas tree. He had a lot of interesting stuff to look at. He had serveral sets of speakers in his garage that he was selling. I didn't get to spend much time seeing what all he had. I did see a beutiful set of Belles and several Heresy sets. He also had an old cornwall (horizontal type) with an off-white honeycomb looking grill that was pretty cool.

congrats on your speaks, was the sellers name Phil

Ask Bob Crites to sell you some of the red rubber washers that fit inside the horn where the driver mounts so you have a nice tight seal. Be sure to tighten all the screws that affix the midhorn to the motorboard. I would do the same for the woofer and tweeter as well.

Budman, yes the seller's name was Phil.

Phil's a member here and sells A+ condition speakers. i bought my 79 Heresys from him and they arrived without a scratch. i don't mind paying a premium when they are in mint condition. yours look awesome. congrats

Budman, yes the seller's name was Phil.

Phil's a member here and sells A+ condition speakers. i bought my 79 Heresys from him and they arrived without a scratch. i don't mind paying a premium when they are in mint condition. yours look awesome. congrats

Yea, he seemed like a great guy. I had no problem with the prices on the CWs (wife did). It was a rare opportunity to find two sets in mint condition so close to home. I keep an eye on his ebay page to see what he's selling. He's got a set of JBL L150A's on there right now.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the CW scores. They look very nice.

On the mid scratchy sound at high volume, wonder if it could be an amp distortion artifact. don't know, just wondering.

Getting the crossovers refereshed will essentially restore them to factory spec! They are definitely due for this TLC and the results will make you smile!