Show me your La Scalas

muel

I just purchased some 1976 black La Scalas a couple of weeks ago that were very clean and in great shape except for some veneer chips. I'm going to be veneering these with some nice cherry (maybe cherry) but am undecided about some details. I'm thinking about leaving the doghouse black but veneer the sides, top, face of the motorboard and front edge. I'm not sure how I want the grain to run. Has anybody left the inside of the doghouse black?

I'd like to see what other folks have done as far as grain orientation, grill work, and any other creative ideas. Post your pics and let's see what you got!

Thanks in advance! [:)]

Thanks for the replies. Hmmm... I'm wondering if no one has ever left the entire inside of the doghouse black while veneering the rest? I'm considering not touching it because right now it is in perfect condition. It occurs to me that I could play with Photoshop and combine a couple of different LaScalas to see if I come up with a look that I like. Sometimes I can imagine how things will look but other times not so much... I just have to see it.

Another question: How have you successfully removed the Klipsch badge (brass laser style logo) without damage? I'm thinking about a thin blade and a heat gun set on low but I'm afraid to damage the print or bend the plate. What was your experience? Any thoughts?

i plan on taking one pair of my LSI's and resstoring them as road boxes. the plan however is to refinish the outside of the cabinets in spray on bed liner, do the inside of the bin in gloss black automotive paint an then take the factory aliminum reinforment strip on the leading edge of the horn and polish it and put the entire cabinet back togeather with stainless steal Allen bolts.

i plan on doing the second set similar to the way you were asking. only difference was i was sgoing to delaminate the bottom bin to remove the second layer of plywood, then rewarp the entire box in 3/4' furnature grade ply with fingerjoints , expressor stain the outside and bury it under automotive clear and gloss black inside with the polished aluminum brace and stainless fasteners.

i was going to do the road cases first but i can do the second set first. it might take me a few weeks but i will start a thread once i start the project.

as for your badges. i worked in auto industry for years. welding wire works wonders. even dental floss. just be careful. apply some heat with a heat gun or hairdryer will help

Somewhere... I have a pic of some LS with the inside painted black. If I can find it I'll post it.

This is one that Greg Roberts (Volti Audio) did in Koa...(they are LS, not khorns as the file is labeled)

post-7149-13819828578988_thumb.jpg