I'm Wearing Her Down!!!......I forsee a 2ch living room setup in Youthman's living room.

Youthman

• Moderators

Tonight my wife and I were on our monthly Date Night. My wife would like to replace our living room furniture with leather. Well during our conversation, I was surprised to hear her say, "I really wouldn't mind if you had speakers in the living room." REALLY? WHOOHOO!!! LOL

I know that might not be big deal to you guys but it was my wife's idea to have the HT and in exchange, other than my promedia speakers for the office, I had to keep all speakers in the HT.

Remember this thread? B&W DM604 S2.....wish me luck!!!

I actually designed a small website for a guy in exchange for the B&W's. I had no money invested in them and they were beautiful and sounded perfect in our living room. Nice solid bass (without being boomy) and vocals were fantastic. I ended up selling them for $650. I have a feeling, I'll be looking for another pair of B&W DM 604 S2 speakers in the near future. [;)] I say "near future" because the deal is, I we have to buy the living room set first. Works for me. [:D]

She definitely likes the small thinner style speakers. The DM604's were perfect size and had a huge sound in our open floorplan home. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards them. The closest in size in the Klipsch line would be the RF-3's but they don't compare in sound to the DM604's. My guess is I would have to step up to the RF-5's to come close to the dynamics of the DM604's.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tonight my wife and I were on our monthly Date Night. My wife would like to replace our living room furniture with leather. Well during our conversation, I was surprised to hear her say, "I really wouldn't mind if you had speakers in the living room." REALLY? WHOOHOO!!! LOL

Rick's Onkyo/Energy combo would be perfect.[Y][Y]

Onkyo-Energy%20014.JPG

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/171855.aspx

Bill

• Moderators

Here are some pics of the living room. As you can see, the floorplan is very open with 12' ceilings. The living room, office, dining room, kitchen and breakfast area are all open to each other.

What would you recommend for a nice 2ch setup? If heritage, Forte II might be the largest I can go. Reference probably RF-5. I haven't heard any of the icon series. I might use the UMC-1 for the 2ch setup and buy a 2ch amp (no subwoofer in the living room).

View from the Breakfast Table

living-room-1.jpg

living-room-2.jpg

View from the corner of the Living Room

living-room-3.jpg

View from the corner of the Living Room

living-room-4.jpg

When we get the new furniture, the small entertainment center, TV and speakers will go on this wall and the new couch will be in front of the bar (somewhere close to where I took this photo from).

living-room-5.jpg

View from the Foyer

living-room-6.jpg

View from the Office

living-room-7.jpg

• Moderators

I went from VF 35, VF 36 of the Icon series to the RF 7's,

Derrick, you mentioned the above in another thread. Just curious how you think the Icon might sound compared to the RF-5, Forte II or the B&W DM 604 S2?

Thx Bill but since there will be no subwoofer, I would prefer floorstanding speakers that have a good amount of bottom end to them.

everyones opinion on bottom end varies but I love my wf-35's. plus they are gorgeous speakers. You could buy a set from newegg for 600 and if you didn't like em send em right back and just pay a restocking fee. But I bet you will like them. My upa-2 powers them beautifully as well. Not sure what you were thinking of powering them with.

• Moderators

I'm sure my wife would like the slinder and elegant style of the icon, I'm just not sure three small 5.25" drivers will produce enough solid bottom end that I'm looking for. I don't need slam, but I do want it to be a very full sound.

Rich, I too think the RF-5's would do the trick. I have owned the RF-3 and RF-7 so I would expect them to perform in between those two which should sound great.

• Moderators

Cool looking home YM. [Y]

I can't believe I am going to say this but If I were you I would keep it small, but nice sounding.

What will it be used for ? If I had to guess it would be used more for general background music for that part of the house. If you wanted more you would probably go into the HT.

Rich, I too think the RF-5's would do the trick. I have owned the RF-3 and RF-7 so I would expect them to perform in between those two which should sound great.

The 5's are much more like the 7's for sound, plus the beautiful real wood finish, they both look and sound very beautiful, a great choice for that room.

Cool looking home YM. Yes

I can't believe I am going to say this but If I were you I would keep it small, but nice sounding.

What will it be used for ? If I had to guess it would be used more for general background music for that part of the house. If you wanted more you would probably go into the HT.

this exactly why I wanted the wf's cause they were smaller and I read a lot of reviews on how musical they were and how much smoother they were than the reference series for music. And the sweet spot is great on them due to the different horn. I love them and you'll be very surprised at how much bass three 5.25 inch woofers can make.

• Moderators

What do you mean by keep it small? You talking bookshelves or just smaller speakers? If so, what are you thinking?

You are 100% on the money with your thinking. Just nice to have music playing while we are cooking, working on the computer, my wife dancing throughout the house (whether it be Zumba or Ballet). Like you said, not cranking, but I want a full, rich sound. The B&W DM 604 S2's definitely fit the bill. They sounded amazing in the room plus with three 7" drivers and being front ported, they had a very full bottom end without being boomy.

• Moderators

I know I'm a bit prejudiced in this matter but RF-5's can sound amazing for music and can do very well without a sub, especially with an amp.

I don't mind prejudice opinions here. I'm open to all suggestions.

Some maple RF-5's would look beautiful in that room.

I was surprised how nice the Maple finish looks in person. I never saw myself likeing it until I bought a pair of Maple RF-7's and now my Maple RSW-15. Very nice finish indeed.

• Moderators

Never had anything in particular in mind really, see what pops up, you have been lucky.

Think about where you would put them and get a rough measurement of what size would look best in that space and go from there trying to match that with what models would sound good.

Whatever you decide make it simple to operate for everyone, that way they will tend to listen to more music in that part of the house.

If you have wireless in the house have something they can just turn on and it plays like Pandora or other internet radio stations, the main goal is to get the music playing. [Y][8]

• Moderators

If you have wireless in the house have something they can just turn on and it plays like Pandora or other internet radio stations, the main goal is to get the music playing. YesMusic

You are definitely on the same page as what I'm thinking dtel. I told my wife tonight I would likely buy a new bluray player that has Pandora and Netflix built into it.

Whatever you decide make it simple to operate for everyone, that way they will tend to listen to more music in that part of the house.

That is very sound advice. Thanks.