I'm Wearing Her Down!!!......I forsee a 2ch living room setup in Youthman's living room.

Youthman

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Thank you Reference. We've talked about it. We don't have cable and the only TV in the house is a 32" in my 14 yr old son's bedroom that he uses to watch blurays on. Next purchase will be Coffee Table, End Tables and a short Entertainment / TV Stand to house the receiver, bluray player and media. So the TV will likely be way down the road.

Klipsch-RF-7-and-RC-7-Bedroom1.jpg

• Moderators

Thanks Bruce. As you can tell from my post count, I spend the majority of my time on the computer vs watching TV. I can't remember the last time I actually watched a TV show. I watch maybe 1 movie per month in the HT. My son plays games on the PS3 in the HT several times a week. I told him, the next bulb I replace, he is paying 1/2 since he uses the HT way more than I do.

• Moderators

I've been looking on CL for an entertainment center but have not found anything that my wife approves of so today after church, we stopped by several furniture stores and found one we liked for $450. We decided to come home and think about it before making a final decision. I jump on CL and found an 60" entertainment center that had just been listed for $200. My wife and I really liked it so off I went to pick it up. I just have to cutout some holes in the back panel so the receiver can slide in all the way.

A little patience and hooking the wife up with some new furniture and Youthman finally has a 2ch setup. [:D] Cool thing is my wife mentioned that she actually likes having music in the living room now.

Since we watch zero TV, we likely will not put a TV in the living room. My original plan was to have Pandora streaming from a bluray player but without a TV, that isn't going to work. I know there are receivers now that support Pandora. Do they connect to internet via Ethernet cable or can they connect via Wifi?

BW-DM-604-S3-2ch-Setup-1.jpg

BW-DM-604-S3-2ch-Setup-2.jpg

BW-DM-604-S3-2ch-Setup-3.jpg

Very nice find YM! Matches very well with your decor. [Y]

I know there are receivers now that support Pandora. Do they connect to internet via Ethernet cable or can they connect via Wifi?

They are available both ways. The hard part would be viewing your music set up / programs without a monitor. A cheap laptop would work well in lieu of having a tv. You could also stream to a wireless receiver via an iPad / iPhone or android device. A receiver that is Airplay enabled would work very well also.

Very nice find YM! Matches very well with your decor. Yes

I know there are receivers now that support Pandora. Do they connect to internet via Ethernet cable or can they connect via Wifi?

They are available both ways. The hard part would be viewing your music set up / programs without a monitor. A cheap laptop would work well in lieu of having a tv. You could also stream to a wireless receiver via an iPad / iPhone or android device. A receiver that is Airplay enabled would work very well also.

+1 I gave up on Pandora a few years ago, however, in lieu of Spotify. Way better IMO. Controllable via iPad and the options are amazing. If you'd like to here what I like about it send me a PM. It is $10 bucks a month if used on anything other than an PC (read: iPad, iPhone, anything mobile) but again well worth it.

My original plan was to have Pandora streaming from a bluray player but without a TV, that isn't going to work. I know there are receivers now that support Pandora. Do they connect to internet via Ethernet cable or can they connect via Wifi?

Trust me and pick up one of these Onkyo TX-8050 network stereo receivers from A4Less. You can stream Pandora via ethernet or wirelessly. Great sounding and inexpensive way to bring some nice tunes to your family room.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTX8050/Onkyo-TX-8050-2-Channel-Network-Stereo-Receiver/1.html

Pick up one of these for a simple wireless integration.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKUWF1A/Onkyo-UWF-1-Wireless-USB-Network-Adapter-NEW/1.html

I picked up the Integra version(DTM-40.4) a couple of weeks ago and I am totally impressed with this unit driving my Heresys or my RB-35's and it has a tough task of replacing my beloved Luxman R-117 which is a tall order. So far it is succeeding.

dtm404_fr_300.jpg

dtm404_re_300.jpg

9k=

2Q==

9k=

2Q==

Bill

Looks Fantastic. Bluetooth adapter streaming from your smartphone is the way to go in my opinion. It also gives you a screen without having a TV.
I know you also have an IPAD which would make a great controller for Itunes and Pandora. Don't forget about Spotify from your PC nearby. It is great to set up a playlist of any song you ever wanted to hear and let it play, and it is free.

• Moderators

Thx guys.

K4, my wife will likely place something "pretty" on top of the entertainment center to help take up the space between it and the picture frame. She was in bed when I set it up. I'll check with her to see what she wants to do to help balance it out.

Trev, yep...no pets in our home. My 3 girls have begged me over the years and my reply has always been, "When you move out, you can buy all the animals you want". I have enough responsibility raising 4 children, the kids can play with the neighbor's dog. LOL

Wake, I'm definitely liking the Bluetooth adapter concept. It would be great to be able to control the music from my iPhone or iPad. I haven't used Spotify but will have to check into that.

So I'm assuming if I had a Bluetooth adapter, I could even use something like grooveshark on the computer to line up certain songs (I'm guessing Spotify is similar to Grooveshark) and stream it through my 2ch setup?

• Moderators

Also look into MOG. I've been a Pandora subscriber for a couple of years but after using MOG I won't be renewing. They have a free trial if interested.

Are we wearing you down yet? Smile

I'm open to all suggestions. Just trying to figure out what would work best for my setup. I downloaded the Spotify App on my phone. Very slick indeed. Free trial for 24 hours.

The Squeezebox Touch let's you do Pandora or whatever you want via wifi and it will also let you stream your personal music right off your computer via wifi. It's a nifty little box. It has Spotify, Pandora, Radionomy, Rhapsody, Slacker, SiriusXM and many more apps. So that's another option, look for a nice vintage or modern two channel stereo receiver and a Squeezebox Touch.