Just scored some Cherry RF-63's!!

K5SS

Actually Audyssey doesn't do this, it is actually your processor/receiver's maker which controls this setting when Audyssey is run, however Chris Kyriakakis the founder of Audyssey recommends resetting this to SMALL and using the appropriate crossover setting for your speakers when using a subwoofer.

Either way, whatever software set them to large, I do like the sound better that way in my room.

I do appreciate the advice though.

Bill

instead of telling a person to set them to Large or Small shouldn't you guys be telling them to try both in their rooms and see what they like. you can always tell them what you use in your system. i personally set mine to small with a rat shack meter.

The search has begun for a mint first generation RC-64 in Cherry. I bet this will take me a while.. That is one amazing system roaddog359 and thank you. They do sound awesome but now I need to figure out what surround speakers I need. First gen RS62's?

• Moderators

now I need to figure out what surround speakers I need. First gen RS62's?

I used the RS-52's with my RF-83's for about a year. They had no problem keeping up with the RF-83 / RC-64. I had found a pair of RS-62 for a steal so I upgraded. The RS-62's are more enveloping and sound better but they typically are a lot more than the RS-52's.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a question for you guys. How would running three RC-62 sound as my three surround speakers sound? I was just going to order some first gen RS-62's but thought running the RC-62's horizontal might give me a little more sound "coverage". Oh, the price would be about the same..

BTW, LOVE THE RF-63's. So much so that I sold my RF-3, RC-3 and RS-3's.

How would running three RC-62 sound as my three surround speakers sound?

Never tried it but considering the design of the RC-62(tapered array, 2.5 way), it just seems to me that it may not sound "right". The RS-62 is designed for wide dispersion and is wired out of phase to obtain that goal. You may could try using an RC-62 as a center surround flanked by a pair of RS-62's

Bill

The rs is going to give a much different feel to

Movies than a direct radiating. Personally I will never run anything but an rs style speaker for areas again. Where are you just gonna "order" the old series if you don't mind me asking? I know there are places that advertise them and when I called and ask they said they don't change the add but they just send the new series without saying anything. If it were me I would keep an eye out for rs-62's. I enjoy mine!

• Moderators

I agree with the others. The RS-62's are fantastic for HT. I started out with the RB-35's as surrounds and frankly the RS-62's provide an awesome dispersed sound, especially when you have them placed on the side walls, slightly behind and slightly higher than your ears.

• Moderators

I have learned that when it comes to HT gear, buy it once, buy it right.

I know I had to learn that the hard way. The only thing I would add to that statement is be patient and you'll find some reaslly sweet deals and save a TON of cash in the process.