FS: Acurus A200FIVE----SOLD

willland

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why the new Acurus amps cost so much?

For one, the Indy Audio Labs Acurus(and Aragon) amps are designed and built in the USA from basically the same design topography as the first and second generation models from Mondial Designs. Secondly, these amps have onboard diagnostics where you can monitor each channel and even mute unused channels through an ethernet connection. Thirdly, I am sure production numbers are not high enough to be able to get volume pricing on parts. Fourthly, inflation has increased substantially since Mondial Designs sold the Acurus and Aragon lines to Klipsch.

Bill

[:D]Special Easter Weekend Only Price[:D]

I am driving tonight to Atlantic Beach, FL(north Jax beach) via I-4 and I-95. I will travel through Daytona on my way to Jax. Anyone along that path want this Acurus 5-channel amp I will sell it for $600.00 delivered this weekend only. Returning back to Kissimmee on Easter Sunday afternoon.

PM me for arrangements.

Bill

After hearing this amp for a few months now after PM'ing back and forth with Williand, I can highly recommend this beauty! It drives my system easily to levels I cannot stay in room without breaking a sweat! A very neutral and enveloping sound . My front sounstage has fantastic clarity, if only I could find some 63's or 83's up here in Canada where they aren't asking for outrageous prices I'd be all set......GLWS,but this beauty should be selling itself once heard!

After hearing this amp for a few months now after PM'ing back and forth with Williand, I can highly recommend this beauty! It drives my system easily to levels I cannot stay in room without breaking a sweat! A very neutral and enveloping sound . My front sounstage has fantastic clarity, if only I could find some 63's or 83's up here in Canada where they aren't asking for outrageous prices I'd be all set......GLWS,but this beauty should be selling itself once heard!

Joker,

Thanks so much for the enthusiastic endorsement.

Bill

A 200 wpc x 5 channel amp for 600.00!!! That's 60 cents a watt! What a fantastic deal. I wish I were in the market, this would have been gone long ago. Add an inexpensive AVR or pre-pro and you're good to go. Can't believe you still have this.

Bumpity.

I'm very tempted. Been thinking abo going the pre/pro way for a while now. I currently have an Oppo BDP 83 feeding directly the multi channel inputs of my Arcam AVR350.

I'm wondering if I could either get a pre/pro with multi channel pass through orbjust use the Oppo as a transport and get a pre/pro with better DACs and feed it via hdmi.

I might be kinda off topic, but you and other forum members that have posted in this thread seem like yall pretty experienced home theater-wise and your insight could help me decide to sell the Arcam and get your amp instead

• Moderators

I started out using a receiver with preouts as I entered into the Pre/Pro world. Your Arcam has preouts so why not use your Arcam and Bill's amp to add some serious headroom over your Arcam's 100 w/ch. You can always upgrade your Receiver to a dedicated Pre/Pro down the road.

True that, but I need to get the coin from somewhere, but then again, the AVR350 is going for much less than I think its worth on the used market right now. Trying to sell or trade my RF82 and RS42 to get 4 or 6 RB61 II. Maybe if I sell the RF82 and only get one pair of RB61 and keep the RS42 for now, then I could afford the Arcurus. Any takers? Lol the

And only way that I see me being able to get the Dolby True HD and DTS Master HD from my Oppo would be to have a channel splitter join both the AVR350 and Oppo outputs into the Arcurus' inputs, and that to me, isn't really audiophile-esque. The AVR350 doesn't do hdmi audio decoding unfortunately, its one true fault imho, only video up scaling and pass through.

• Moderators

And only way that I see me being able to get the Dolby True HD and DTS Master HD from my Oppo would be to have a channel splitter join both the AVR350 and Oppo outputs into the Arcurus' inputs, and that to me, isn't really audiophile-esque.

Your oppo has 7.1 outputs and your Arcam has 7.1 inputs. Digital Coax cables from the Oppo to the Arcam will allow you to achieve HD Audio. Why do you say that would not be "audiophile-esque"? HDMI doesn't = audiophile? Incredible sound quality = audiophile. Would a system that uses inexpensive interconnects from Monoprice not be considered audiophile since it's not using "high end" (aka expensive) interconnects? I don't believe so. Again, it's how it sounds that is the key. HDMI offers no sonic benefit from using multi-channel connections. The main benefit of HDMI is that the newer models simplify your cables by using one cable for both audio and video. In your case, you would just have extra cables. But I don't see how extra cables equates to being non-audiophile. Just my 2 cents.

And just because one uses HDMI connections doesn't equal audiophile quality as well. Think of all of the home theater in a box systems that are using HDMI. Food for thought.

True that, but I need to get the coin from somewhere, but then again, the AVR350 is going for much less than I think its worth on the used market right now.

Unfortunately, that is all too true with almost all electronics. They drop in value like a rock in a very short period of time, especially as new technology is introduced. One of the benefits from an external amp is that amp technology doesn't change very much. I'm using a Parasound amp that is over 10 years old and it's still rock solid.

Your oppo has 7.1 outputs and your Arcam has 7.1 inputs. Digital Coax cables from the Oppo to the Arcam will allow you to achieve HD Audio. Why do you say that would not be "audiophile-esque"? HDMI doesn't = audiophile?Incredible sound quality = audiophile. Would a system that uses inexpensive interconnects from Monoprice not be considered audiophile since it's not using "high end" (aka expensive) interconnects? I don't believe so. Again, it's how it sounds that is the key. HDMI offers no sonic benefit from using multi-channel connections. The main benefit of HDMI is that the newer models simplify your cables by using one cable for both audio and video. In your case, you would just have extra cables. But I don't see how extra cables equates to being non-audiophile. Just my 2 cents.

The Oppo's multi channel outputs go into the Arcam's multi channel input, which bypasses any digital processing and goes straight to the amplification stage. So I can't have the Oppo's signals go through the Arcam and then use the Arcam's pre-outs to connect to a power amp. Only hdmi has the bandwidth to transport an HD signal, digital Coax and optical toslink do not have enough bandwidth to carry an HD signal unfortunately. And my comment about the audiophile-esque connections pertains more to using a splitter to join the outputs of the Arcam and the Oppo. I have no problems with Monoprice stuff or radioshack stuff, even if I do believe in the difference higher end stuff can do. And the difference between hdmi and multi channel outputs is which unit does the actual signal decoding if I'm not mistaken. I believe the Oppo's DACs are better than the Arcam's, in stereo mode at least. There might be a way to have the Oppo decode the signal and then send it to the Arcam in lpcm format, but I'd rather bypass any processing stage within the amp and have the signals be sent straight to the amplification stage. Don't know here if I'm making any more sense then before lol

Well, I'm glad the op has a pending sale. I was seriously considering it. I think this thread has now opened Pandora's box again for me lol