Vintage Cornwall Question

Hi All

I came across a pair of 70's cornwalls at a decent price, I think.

First off, what do you all think a good price would be? Everything is original and they are in decent used condition. There are no grilles, the seller is saying that these are "decorator" models and that they didn't have grilles.

I am new to Klipsch and am currently running a pair of RF 82's which I really like but I have become curious about the cornwalls since becoming a member here and reading what everyone has said about the different speakers. I have been thinking that a pair of RF 7's or cornwalls would probably be my next move speaker wise.

My main concern with these cornwalls are that being from the 70's are they going to need a lot of updating? new caps, new crossovers and new drivers? If so what am I looking at in the true cost of these speakers? And at this point is it really worth it? I poked around for a couple minutes on Bob Crites site and looked like to me that the updating would be recomended.

Any input and thoughts would be helpfull, Thanks

here is what a decorator cornwall looks like. this one is from 1976 post some pictures of them and we'll see what they look like. on decorators the woofers usually are faded from no grills. as long as all the drivers work you should be fine. crossovers should be fine also. lots of people here like to get the crossovers rebuilt but their is no hurry on that just sit back and enjoy.

It is true that the decorators came from the factory without grills. They were also without hardwood veneer -- only raw birch plywood. A lot of people painted or stained, or did a lot of similar work. My understanding is that the joints of the plywood sides were butt joints rather than angled. (Addition by edit after looking at the photos -- no riser.)

Alf the electrical components and drivers were the same as the finished units. Thus sound should be the same. Even with age, the woofer, mid and tweeter should not need replacement unless they've been damaged. This is a potential issue in any purchase of a second hand speaker. (Addition by edit: They are a classic and sound wonderful by any standard, including 2013.)

There is a strong consensus on this board that the caps of something this old will need replacement. The inductor and autotransformer do not deteriorate. This is probably the best bang-for-the buck upgrade.

As far as value I'll venture $XXX for the pair as fair. [i've removed the amount by edit. I'll start a new thread.] If a woofer, mid, or tweeter is blown, the cost of replacing them really eats into the value, even if you're doing the work yourself.

WMcD

Decorator series Cornwalls are super -looking - they have this eternal look that will never pass - if you see the current Cornscala fad - it is just that in a more modern version of a Decorator - the cabinet is the same size overall -

- being from the seventies - and if they are mint - their sound is unique so - no I would not touch them at all - if the drivers are working correctly - you have the exact same drivers than a K-HORN so it cant be made any better , this sound is unique - for us purists a rare find - Crossovers are very cheap to upgrade -

-50$ with Bob Crites SoniCaps will bring back the specifications of the Crossover , SoniCaps are also a more modern Capacitor so the sound will be clearer that seventies gear were -40 years of evolution in capacitor technology -

- all you have to do is unsolder and solder 4 wires - 2 capacitors per speaker crossover - or again if you can find NOS capacitors , that could be even cheaper as long as the ESR readings are low -

-some capacitors when they get older have higher ESR readings , and that throws off the specs of the crossover - however if the ESR readings are ok -there is no need to change any original component -

- some GE cans are still out here , a recent restoration of 4 NOS caps cost 12$ - I really like the sound that is generated from the GE cans - a perfect fit for older out of specs oil cans -

- take your time and listen to the speaker - with recordings that you like -the decorators and the newer Heritage series are phenomenal speakers made to last a lifetime - take care

I think the point so far is that the drivers need no replacement if working. The capacitors in the cross-overs can (and most likely should) be replaced, but that is really for later. I like to listen to a new speaker for a while before making any changes. The capacitors can wait a while while you enjoy the speaker. Price always depends on location. I was surprised at how low was suggested as a good price. But Maybe I have just grown accustomed to seeing overpriced on Chicago Craigslist.

thanks to all who have weighed in thus far.

So $400 is less than what the seller is asking for on these but he has indicated that he would be willing to work with me on the price.

As far as sound goes what do you all think the biggest gain I would see between the Cornwalls and my current RF 82's?

At my place of work I have a pair of Tannoy super red monitors that are awesome and I assume the cornwalls would be similar.

thanks again

i paid at least 900 -1100 for the ones i posted above years ago.

15" slamming driver is what you will notice plus the actual size of them compared to the skinny 82's. cornwall size is 36x24x18

and they seem to be 72 x 48 x 36 when you first lay eyes on them. When I went to pick up my pair I couldn't believe the size of those things.

these speakers will be gone in a heartbeat - simply building birch cabinets alone can cost a bundle - then adding 2 woofers -2 mids and horns - 2 tweeters -2 crossovers - yep not cheap at all -

they will SMOKE an 82. Reveneer probably the best way to go, you'll lose that look of the edge grain of the plywood but you'll have a real set of classic beauties if you love woodworking. I have a pair of decorator Heresies that another Forum member did the veneer work and I did all the finishing on. Photos are on here somewhere about the technique I used to paint all the cutout holes black after the veneer was on to hide the edges, also I 'blacked out' the woofer so it looks uber cool not grey and dingy.

I replaced the crossover (1965) with a "Dean" model and the difference in the sound was huge which I atribute to the capacitors mostly. However the newer stuff

also as a better resistance value for the inductors and such.

JJK

So I spoke with the seller again today and he admitted that he had attempted to refinish these speakers and in doing so pretty much ruined their appearence. I am more interested in how they sound but even with that being true I would plan to put them in my family room and they are fairly large. So at this point my question is how much work is involved with refinishing the cabinets? Im thinking if the price is right and acknowledges the fact that they are in project condition I could be tempted to take them on. However they are pretty old and I am wondering if I should hold out for a pair that don't require extra work. Right now there are two pairs in my general area the pictured pair, which the seller has mentioned he'd like to try and get $700 for, and another pair which I believe are 80's and in better condition asking $1000 or best offer. Any advice or thoughts to a noob is welcomed.

Cheers

If the seller would "like to try" and get $700, it sounds like there could be a happy middle ground for both of you. First, decide what you're willing to pay, offer less, and "try" to end up with a deal that works for you. Even if chunks are missing, paint would be an economical finish if you want to simply listen to them. If you need to look at them as fine "furniture", others here can offer good advice regarding re-veneering them.

Me? I like the black boxes without grills.

Something in between would be to add grills, but on painted boxes. Hope you find something that works for your aesthetics, but more importantly for your budget.