I FIXED MY LaSCALAs- !!! but i still gotta sell em

DANOCASTER

Our fellow forum attendee- Dave Goodrum - came by our store today and picked up a Velodyne sub for his LaScalas. He also encouraged me to "tinker" w/ mine and I was able to fix my phase problems !! THANKS DAVE!!! They now sound great and "in phase" (AAhhhh )but my basement is SO live and I'm a newbie to horns ( I've had B&Ws for 7 years ) that it's still TOO much for me. So if anyone wants a pair of WORKING and phase correct LaScalas- give me an "e" directly at Sparkledrive1@aol.com...Cheeriocwm45.gif

WELL, WELL, WELL....

I was givin the LaScalas a final farewell jam and my wife came down to listen. She had never heard them IN PHASE and pretty much freaked out. She was like " You cant sell these things !! Crank it up !! " --she was dancin around the room like at a club. She ran upstairs to grab some of her favorites and , needless to say, "we" are keeping them !!. I may do a few things to tame down the horns in my giant square concrete basement to kinda "tune" the room alittle but they won her heart when she actually listened to them..So there ya go !!!I guess I am a LaScala owner after all !!

"what a long strange trip it's been "

GOOD DEAL!!

Now all ya need to do is put some elbow grease into em, and some new black paint and she will enjoy LOOKIN at em, TOO! Smile.gif

She probably never heard anything that sounded as good before, did she? Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

That's great! Welcome to the Scala World. My room is very "bright" also. This is what I did: Just start filling the room with irregular shaped objects (they don't need to be "soft")on all walls, works great!

Check out the pic's of mine, that's what they can look like.

------------------

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/MYSTUFF.jpg

This message has been edited by mpgwagon on 06-23-2002 at 01:45 AM

Wonder if the failure of more women to enjoy our hobby is more the failure of more audiophiles to have KLIPSCH!

Congrats, Dano. On your speakers and your wife.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Average system component age: 30 years.

Performance: Timeless

I would imagine his "fix" to the out-of-phase problem consisted of nothing more than following the wires from the drivers to the crossover network and ensuring they were connected to the correct terminals on the WELL-MARKED network board. A few minutes with a screwdriver normally solves these problems. Sometimes one must also remove the door on the bottom to also ensure those wires on the K33 are also in phase on the terminal in the doghouse. Tools required: one flat tip screwdriver and one cross-tip(or phillips) screwdriver...and, of course, the ability to determine red from black in the color spectrum...or to follow the wires by feel....also the time it takes to do this. Smile.gif

I am happy that he took the time to correct the phasing of the drivers so that his wife could "let her ears decide" whether those "ugly black" speakers were really worth keeping or not!! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 06-23-2002 at 10:29 AM

Doesn't it feel good when the audio improvements you make are noticed by the wife?? My wife has no clue about gear, but she certainly can hear the results. Plus she enjoys old antiques and such - so my Klipsch are welcome in the decor too.

Spend some effort on the looks and you'll have the "bargain of the month" - of course those $20 Cornwalls might be bargain of the year!

Glad to hear that you are able to keep 'em!

HELLO..WELL,I WAS confused but not anymore !! Basically, I started at the HF terminal of each cabinet. I simply traced the cables and corrected any phase reversal that had happened when some schmuck went inside to "repair" something. They are bone stock so I'm not sure what he did or WHY. But in the end it was 1 of the large horns and 1 tweeter that were out. So, you can imagine how that would mess w/ things. I will do some room traement- at least some object and angles to break the waves/ reflections. I also will probably take home a sub from work. We just had 2 velodyne ULD-15s traded in. If anyone is interested in the other- lemme know and I'll get in touch. They are too big to ship w/out the orig. boxes but they are awesome subs !!.......Anyway- thanks for everyone's encouragement to stay w/ these monsters and work it out- I'm really glad I did. Pretty exciting speaker- also pretty different than than B&W matrix 802s I'm used too !! But nothing I've heard produces the transients w/ such unrestrained dynamics !! Pretty cool..NOW I just make them "look" good !!cwm17.gif

I'll keep them..I'm always flip floppin' anyway. I sell Martin Logan, Thiel, and B&W during the day. But when I get home- I wanna rock ..but sometimes I miss the imaging I get from the B&Ws so ,for now, they are in storage again. I'll hold onto them ..I really do like them as well- they just arent KLIPSCH !!!cwm38.gif