Alert! Crossovers Are Subjected to Vibrational Effects

thebes

In other words, good vibes can actually have a deleerious affect on your crossovers.

Today, I removed the backs of the Cornwalls to install new Russian PIO caps (yummy, report to follow) only to discover that several years of good vibrations had resulted in a loosening of the screws that hold all those wires in place.

So, don't think you can recap those old xovers and then forget about them for the next 20 years. Based on my experience, and the convening of a panel of imaginary scientific experts, who, mostly, agreed wholeheartedly with my thoughts on this subject, the following technical advisory is now officially in place.

Official Thebes Technical Advisory Number 3.

Here with and so, so, access your speakers cabs every other year and tighten all screws. If speakers are upright, place towels over exposed parts of woofers do prevent accidental tears from a dropped screwdriver

End of advisory.

Thanks "Thebes Technical Advisory Number 3", for another reminder of the importance of good maintennance. In my case you have reminded me that I never got back around to installing "shake" washers on those connections. That should provide a lasting solution.

Your vigilance is appreciated #3. [:D] over & out.....

Cornman

the convening of a panel of imaginary scientific experts, who, mostly, agreed wholeheartedly with my thoughts on this subject

247700419_eb8ffaf0fa_o.jpeg

Yup, that's our chief technical expert. A little barmy but he usual knows what he talking about.

"Today, I removed the backs of the Cornwalls to install new Russian PIO caps (yummy, report to follow)..."

Craig told me about those, they looked interesting. I wanted to give them a try, but there just wasn't enough information available about them to get my comfort level high enough for me to want to work with them. Still intrigued by them, so definitely let us know what you think. Meanwhile back at the ranch ...

post-3205-13819831394912_thumb.jpg

Today, I removed the backs of the Cornwalls to install new Russian PIO caps

http://www.electronicspoint.com/microphonic-film-capacitor-t157441.html

It's probably wise to tie down film and ceramic caps and move them as far from any stray driver-induced EM fields as is feasible.

Also, the acoustic environment inside closed boxes can be extremely high (150+ dBSPL). At those intensities, acoustically-induced microphonics are an issue at high drive levels (e.g., Heresy, etc.).

[:)]

...several years of good vibrations had resulted in a loosening of the screws that hold all those wires in place...

Not to be a smart one, but "DUH?"

ANYTHING that ain't soldered comes loose eventually. Either solder the wires with a terminal block, move the crossovers to the OUTSIDE of the speakers so that screws can be periodically rechecked, or (if you're a masochist), go ahead and take the backs off your speakers every couple of years to tighten the screws. I don't particularly recommend removing the speaker backs repeatedly because they're held on with wood screws. Every time you remove and replace the screws, you damage the wood some more and the screws no longer hold as they once did.

Just sayin'...