3 channel set up?

lifter

Anyone running 3 channel set up for just music?? How does it sound?? I suppose you need a HT processor to achieve this?
Thanks

Not currently running 3-channel but my NAD T175HD pre/pro and NAD T773 receiver both have a setting that is called "Enhanced Stereo" which can be configured in any manner you desire. As far as I know, all of the current NAD receivers has this feature.

I think it sounds very natural in 2, 3, 4, or 5 channel. I use this feature mostly in 5 channel mode with subwoofers.

Bill

post-26822-13819831381432_thumb.jpg

I actually purchased my center channel speaker [LaScala] before I got Klipschorns for the corners. I have had 3 channel music since 1975.

Back in the day Klipsch published the Dope from Hope Vol. 11 - No. 3 from July 1971. which had a plan using resistors to get a center feed from the normal L and R Stereo signals. It always sounded great to me! Big Smile chris

This is the plan for the box.

Chris...question if I may.

If you play something that has a hard left and a hard right (Queen, Night at the Opera comes to my mind) does your setup pan hard left/right/center or is there some blending of the sounds where hard left might become left/center and hard right might become right/center?

IMHO you need a sizable separation to use a mono center mix channel and (as Coytee intimated) even then, some recorded music will sound lousy by virtue the caliber or style of the recording. I ran a 3 channel and dismantled it for routine listening. It muddled more music than it enhanced and probably mostly because of the room dynamics - it was too narrow in width. I would love to trial the same set up on a wider wall. Mebbe someday.

I have been using 3 channel since 1965 with a Fisher powered center channel amplifier. Now I use the Denon 983 and it is enhanced a ton with the PLC II Cinema position. Works in phono too if your a vinyl nut. And FM, CD, and any position you select.

JJK

Anyone running 3 channel set up for just music?? How does it sound?? I suppose you need a HT processor to achieve this?
Thanks

I think it sounds great if the center level is properly adjusted which requires a little experimentation. IME, the center-mixed material has a better defined position than with a phantom center and allows one to sit closer to the "stage" than in the often-prescibed equilateral triangle. Also, it widens the sweet spot in that center-mixed material is
still perceived as coming from the center a seat or two to the side of
the center axis rather than coming from the then closer L or R.

I'm aware of three ways to do a center: A HT processor is one way. There's also a "black box' approach described in the Dope From Hope and lastly, some old pre-amps, ( e.g., Mac C-26) provide a L+R mixed center output. The HT processor has one potential advantage in that it can provide time delay if, as is likely, you can't put the center at the same distance from the listening position as the L and R.

I'm sitting with my head 11' back from Belles spaced 16' c to c and I find it significantly better than 2-channel.

Mike