Which Valve Is Best For Hersey's

ninanina

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Decware Mini Torii, a gift from my amazing wife last year, is designed for use with the 6L6, 6K6, and some others of that family. Absolutely stunning with Heresies, a system I could be happy with forever after.

wow, just looked up the Mini Torii.

Amazing wife indeed. that is a very sweet looking amp. would love to hear it.

I've got the kit, unassembled so far. Hope to get to it this summer.

i'm planning to build it out as 2A3. also am curious about 45 operation, but it's just a few parts to change to one or the other.

it is also possible to build for 2A3 and use the 45 tube. not sure how close that would be to the actual 45 experience.

I listen mainly to jazz with the Heresy's using a pair of Dared MP-6V Single-Ended Class-A monoblocks. They output 6W each with a pair of 6L6 tubes. They produce the magic tone to express the passion in jazz music.

I've got the kit, unassembled so far. Hope to get to it this summer.

i'm planning to build it out as 2A3. also am curious about 45 operation, but it's just a few parts to change to one or the other.

it is also possible to build for 2A3 and use the 45 tube. not sure how close that would be to the actual 45 experience.

Start a thread somewhere when you do? I'd like to watch along (even though their instructions are supposedly wonderful) and get your impressions.

2A3 and 45 both use 2.5 volt filaments, but the 45 has a lower plate voltage and uses a different value cathode/filament resistor...(1.5K ohms for 45, 750-800 ohms for 2A3?)

One would have to careful not to exceed the total dissipation rating of a 45 used in place of a 2A3. The kit has a way to switch back and forth I would guess...using switches or some such for different value cathode/filament resistors and also for voltage dropping.

This is that multi-color texture paint in desert bisque...I wanted to use rustic umber, but this will have to do...

post-6643-1381985544108_thumb.jpg

I listen mainly to jazz with the Heresy's using a pair of Dared MP-6V Single-Ended Class-A monoblocks. They output 6W each with a pair of 6L6 tubes. They produce the magic tone to express the passion in jazz music.

Murph and The Magic Tones?

I recall picking up the pair for 35-40 bucks from eBay...but I can't remember what brand. I think they are German, like Grundig or Telefunken. They don't have the largest cores, but are tightly wound for good upper bandwidth.

I've used them when I had this RH84 circuit on a breadboard set-up. Not the bass like a James 20 watt universal OPT using the 5K primary, but plenty adequate for the size. The midrange and top-end of these OPTs from listening is rather nice.

post-6643-13819855531286_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just have to hook up the input wires, power plug, switch and fuse. I'll go ahead and get the amplifier going before I mount the output xformers and use clip leads to connect them for testing reasons. The 2 watt carbon comp load resistors are just tacked-in until I get an idea of voltage drop and dissipation of the resistors. With my usual luck I'll be burnin' too much wattage through one or both of them...

post-6643-13819856366172_thumb.jpg