Bee colony collapse

tube fanatic

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mankind truly is the worlds worst enemy. Anybody remember the clean up that China had to do before the olympics? Anybody see the oceans reefs 20 years ago compared to today? Size of the rain forrest? I fear that my kids won't have much of a world to live in once they get my age and shudder to think about what it will be like for their children. No one entity is ultimately responsible and if there were such an organization, wouldn't have the power to stop thngs. Greed 1 Earth 0.

Mankind truly is the worlds worst enemy. Anybody remember the clean up that China had to do before the olympics? Anybody see the oceans reefs 20 years ago compared to today? Size of the rain forrest? I fear that my kids won't have much of a world to live in once they get my age and shudder to think about what it will be like for their children. No one entity is ultimately responsible and if there were such an organization, wouldn't have the power to stop thngs. Greed 1 Earth 0.

A good analogy is that we treat the Earth like a vehicle that we abuse and do not maintain. Problems are arising and breakdowns are happening and we just ignore them and keep abusing it.

I am reading a book about Monsanto and one of their very high level executives (may have been the COO) from the 1980's said that it was a horrible combination of arrogance, greed and stupidity that is in charge of their company. Unfortunately, these are the people who have the most power and paid for political connections.

I read another book about the TARP bailout (written by the attorney who was put in charge of preventing fraud, he quit after being exposed to the Washington system for a few years). he quoted the bank executives who essentially say that the problem is that they were just so right about everything and it is a good thing that they were in charge. The reality is that they really believe this.

If you have been around narcissistic people like this, you realize that you cannot reason with them, they are right no matter what and no matter the consequences. On a much lower leveI, have dealt with many attorneys that make mistakes in docuements, and then, instead of saying, oops, lets change this, they defend their mistake to the end, even if it is not good for their client. Unfortunately, these are the people who usually lust for power and who are in charge and have the connections and power.

For every foot you move away from a power cell tower ,,The power is halved,,Also any power lines..do the same...The report is Balony science..

Well........that's baloney..........power attenuation with distance would follow the inverse square law.............no matter.

Our nearest cell tower is about 10 miles away and my old Blackberry can pick up the signal. Can you offer up any non-baloney research proving that even a weak signal has no affect on a bee's (or any other organism's) system or navigation? I'm just saying that it's worth looking into.

The growth in the use of neonicotinoid pesticides such as acetamiprid, clothianidin and imidacloprid, some of the most widely-used pesticides in the world, has roughly tracked rising bee deaths since 2005.[7] In 2012, several peer reviewed independent studies were published showing that neonicotinoids had previously undetected routes of exposure affecting bees including through dust, pollen, and nectar that sub-nanogram toxicity resulted in failure to return to the hive without immediate lethality,[9] the primary symptom of CCD,[10] and indicating environmental persistence of neonicotinoids in irrigation channels and soil.[11] These studies prompted a formal 2013 peer review by the European Food Safety Authority that said neonicotinoids pose an unacceptably high risk to bees, and that the industry-sponsored science upon which regulatory agencies' claims of safety have relied is flawed.[12]

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, pesticides may be contributing to CCD.[50] Scientists have long been concerned that pesticides and possibly some fungicides may have sub-lethal effects on bees, not killing them outright but instead impairing their development and behavior. Of special interest is the class of insecticides called neonicotinoids, which contain the active ingredient imidacloprid, and similar other chemicals, such as clothianidin and thiamethoxam. Honey bees may be affected by such chemicals when they are used as a seed treatment because they are known to work their way through the plant up into the flowers and leave residues in the nectar. Scientists note that the doses taken up by bees are not lethal, but they are concerned about possible chronic problems caused by long-term exposure.[31] Virtually all of the genetically engineered Bt corn grown in the U.S. is treated with neonicoticoids and a 2012 study found high levels of clothianidin in pneumatic planter exhaust. In the study, it was found that the insecticide was present in the soil of unplanted fields nearby those planted with Bt corn and on dandelions growing near those fields.[51] Another 2012 study done in Italy also found clothianidin and imidacloprid in the exhaust of pneumatic seeding equipment.

It has been looked into,,,,Can you read with comprehension ?????

Well............you got me there, it is hard for me to comprehend most of what you write.

You spelled Bologna wrong.

Um, baloney is the correct spelling, not bologna (only capitalized if you're talking about the city in Italy) and not balony (per Horonzak).

You spelled Bologna wrong.

This thread forum may not be the best place to criticize spelling and grammar.

And it is Bbaloney. Baologna is a sausage meat-like tube consisting of a slurry of animal parts that you don't really want to know about, Baloney means nonsense.

Fixed it for you. [;)]

To increase the buzz factor of this subject, we need to address an even more pressing matter, which is Hornets. Ole Dan Rather didn't mention this, but a handful of hornets (15 or 20) can easily destroy an entire honey bee colony (30,000 +). Happens all the time, and some where in the world its' happening right now.

This thread may not be the best place to criticize spelling and grammar.

I suspect that in this GENERAL forum it's acceptable to have mis-spelled words, and possibly it's even allowed to have a grammatical error or two..... but in a another forum of Klipsch, bad spellers (like me) are handled brutally, GITMO style.

Don't get lost in microwaves. The bees are still dying off for whatever reason, and it's a bad mammajamma.

Honey Bees are very interesting insects. I used to have on my property about 3 large hives and 2 to 3 starter hives referred to as baby nucs. They run a very tight ship and very business like. There mannerisms and agressiveness is determined by the Queen’ Bee's Phemerones. If you have a hot hive where bees do not let you with in 50 feet or more without attempting to sting you, then you can re-queen the hive and within 30 - 45 days your hive will be much cooler (bees have a different temperament- new queen’s phemerones). Any bees that die in the hive are carried out by the bees and dumped on the ground. The hive must be at a certain temperature for the bee eggs to develop so the drones usually stand at the entrance to the hive and with their wings fan air through or into the hive to cool it if necessary. Bees that do not gather pollen and are suppose to gather pollen are kicked out of the hive. Bees rob from each others hives if it is not well defended. My large hives had over 100,000 bees in each. I was not the bee keeper. I hate bees flying around me, but my hives were so calm, that you could walk right up to them or cut the grass around them and I watched many a time the beekeeper take the lids off of the hives only to have most of them sit there and just look at him. I was in it for the honey and in one season I got over 6 gallons. Also the neighborhood benefitted from all the pollenations. I probably still have over 5 gallons of honey. One day I went out to check on them and found 98 % of bees in one hive dead. Speaking with the beekeeper determined that it is very hard to tell why they died. He speculated a pesticide of some sort but he said you really never know for sure. He came a week later and took the bees to his place to keep an eye on them. I do not expect them back. No other bee hives have died at his place

So, I say all this because bees can be very interesting and that bee hive deaths do occur often with no real conclusions.

A note of interest: Trying to re-queen an Africanized hive is futile as the Africanized bees will not accept her and will usually kill her.

Don't get lost in microwaves. The bees are still dying off for whatever reason, and it's a bad mammajamma.

Honey Bees are very interesting insects. I used to have on my property about 3 large hives and 2 to 3 starter hives referred to as baby nucs. They run a very tight ship and very business like. There mannerisms and agressiveness is determined by the Queen’ Bee's Phemerones. If you have a hot hive where bees do not let you with in 50 feet or more without attempting to sting you, then you can re-queen the hive and within 30 - 45 days your hive will be much cooler (bees have a different temperament- new queen’s phemerones). Any bees that die in the hive are carried out by the bees and dumped on the ground. The hive must be at a certain temperature for the bee eggs to develop so the drones usually stand at the entrance to the hive and with their wings fan air through or into the hive to cool it if necessary. Bees that do not gather pollen and are suppose to gather pollen are kicked out of the hive. Bees rob from each others hives if it is not well defended. My large hives had over 100,000 bees in each. I was not the bee keeper. I hate bees flying around me, but my hives were so calm, that you could walk right up to them or cut the grass around them and I watched many a time the beekeeper take the lids off of the hives only to have most of them sit there and just look at him. I was in it for the honey and in one season I got over 6 gallons. Also the neighborhood benefitted from all the pollenations. I probably still have over 5 gallons of honey. One day I went out to check on them and found 98 % of bees in one hive dead. Speaking with the beekeeper determined that it is very hard to tell why they died. He speculated a pesticide of some sort but he said you really never know for sure. He came a week later and took the bees to his place to keep an eye on them. I do not expect them back. No other bee hives have died at his place

So, I say all this because bees can be very interesting and that bee hive deaths do occur often with no real conclusions.

A note of interest: Trying to re-queen an Africanized hive is futile as the Africanized bees will not accept her and will usually kill her.

This was the most interesting post in this thread. Thanks for a little insight into bee behavior.

OK. baloney. I stand corrected. I was just trying to bring some levity to the subject. There are so many issues that we face today and what can we really do to change anything? I'm going back to my bombshelter now.

Well, this took a little effort to dig up:

http://www.youris.com/Environment/Bees/Bees_restored_to_health_in_Italy_after_this_springs_neonicotinoidfree_maize_sowing.kl?buffer_share=9cb80&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer%253A%2520%2540evolvesustain%2520on%2520twitter

Everywhere you hear beekeepers claiming that insecticides are the problem, and they are ignored. But we have reports that colonies are returning to health after banning neonicotinoid in parts of Europe. So why aren't we heavily studying this? Why can't we have farmers stop using these tings and see if it works?