HT Build Florida

InnerTuber

It's been a long time since I did the stroll ...... lemme get it back, etc. OK, I've been gone a while. But, I do know where to turn for the best advice.

Quick catch up, ummmm, still working fortunately. Building a house. Need help with home theater. So ... I'm baaack. Trying to stay a step ahead of the automation/low voltage fellows.

First thing on my mind are the KHorns. I can use them behind an acoustically transparent wall for front L/R in the HT, but I also have VRDs and a Blueberry laying around somehwere. While great for KHorns, maybe not so great for the HT.

Should i sell all and start over for the HT, sell VRDs and BBerry and use horns, keep VRDs and BBerry for other speakers, or?

I can't really put the whole set (horns) in another room, so I'm wondering about this first.

Ummm, feedback encouraged, literary that is ....

• Moderators

Would you still like to have a nice 2 CH setup also ?

If so use a switch box to separate the 2 CH components from the speakers. Also use a AVR for everything HT switching the other components for 2CH disconnected from the Khorns. (press of a button)

Have both in the same room, if you want ? If no desire for 2 CH...sell off the 2 CH electronics and set up a HT with the Khorns.

Glad your back

If I had an acoustically transparent screen, I would consider something like a KPT-325N for the LCR, and buy however many restored KPT-100's you need from me. You can get pricing for new KPT-325N's from cinequip.com, unless you have a Klipsch authorized theater dealer in your area. The reason I say the KPT may be great is that they are tuned to work from behind a screen. As for the KPT-100's you can get those for a very reasonable price, and I have figured out a way to ship them safely.

CinemaSeriesBrochure.pdf

Thanks Dtel and Mustang. Looks like on this one we'll put the 2 CH in another room and the KH in the HT. It's tricky to hide everything for the WF.

I'll read a bit on your suggestion Mustang.

On to the next decision. Where to have the slab drop down for the front row and what to run under the slab.

Contemplating where to drop the slab 6 inches. Actually trying to stay one step ahead (or at least up) with A/V and contractor. Would like to have my own opinion of how the setup should be to compare to their suggestions. So,

The room itself is 17 x 28. Subtract 4 feet for quipment behind AT screen. Leaves 17 x 24.

That should hold 4 seats across x 2 rows. Maybe 3 foot aisles down both sides.

3 20 amp circuits.

AT wall is ~17 x 10.

I come up with, starting at the screen which might be 120" wide, 139 diagonally -

First seat row at 15' and second at 19'.

Then a small bar behind second row and a 3' aisle at rear fills up the room.

Run a conduit under slab and pull cat6 and outlets just before the 15', 19' and up the cabinet for the bar.

So, the 6" drop in slab would be 15' from the screen.

I like the idea of a bigger screen, but it pushes the seat rows back to far. I'm not sure if that is ultra important. I kind of like the front row in movies. Sore neck and all ....

Any thoughts or suggestions on the slab work? Or whatever. Thanks as always.

To your original question, you should be able to blend HT and 2-ch in the same system. You might not have the right ingredients to do it, but it can be done. I know with Juicy Music, the Peach had that capability however, it has no phono section like the BB.

Choices....choices...

I'd suggest to over-wire so you can do things in the future. I've got wires strung though my room so I can biamp 3 speakers on the other side of the room. I can run them with 6 runs of speaker wire.... or, I can kick over to XLR setups and biamp the same speakers while putting the amps on the other side of the room which might make my closet a bit thinner.

Not knowing how I'd need it in the end, I've got 4 20 amp circuits. I have tons of plugs in the closet. I have each circuit dedicated.

Circuit "1" goes to the front left corner of the room. I have two different outlets in this area. One is about the height of the Jubilee bass bin so if I set anything on the bin, I've got a plug nearby. I also have another outlet above the K402 so if I put an amp (on a shelf) up high, I have an outlet nearby.

On EVERY SINGLE of these outlets, the upper socket is switched and the lower socket is hot. This way I have the option of having constant power to something or switching something else off.

Circit "2" goes to the center speaker location and circuit "3" goes to the right side front corner.

Now to the closet.... the far left column of outlets is wired to circuit '1', the second column are wired to circuit '2', third column are to circuit '3' and the fourth column are to circuit '4' and dedicated to the closet.

EACH of these circuits are wired through a gang of switches as you walk in so for everything that is on a switched circuit, you can simply hit the on/off switch at the door.

Yeah... my wife thinks all my wiriing is nuts until I asked her if she knew what wire needs we'd have? (no)

I then asked if she would rather me do the wiring OUTSIDE of the walls so it's visible in the future? (hell no!!)

She's not said a word since.

I've got 12 two duplex ensembles in the closet. Meaning, I've got 12 boxes with 4 plugs in each one.... 48 plugs. Each speaker location has four (or was it eight) plugs... I forget. Either way, if I ever run out of plugs and need some kind of power strip, I should be shot.

Here's a picture of the closet. Look at them in columns, not rows.

On the left side, I actually hae 4 outlets (all switched on top, hot on bottom) so I can hang something high and have some outlets. On the right wall, pick a single column. on the top I have some speaker wires going to a location. In the second box are a couple of Cat-6 wires and a couple of XLR wires so I can biamp. In the third box are a couple more XLR wires so I can biamp (or run other wires for subs) Below that are two 4-gang boxes so I have eight plugs down low on each circuit. Again, each outlet is switched on top and hot on the bottom (this is the case for every single outlet in this system)

post-15072-1381985559922_thumb.jpg

My brother in law is an electrician.... had some nice orange outlets, hospital grade, that he gave me for free.

Wife almost went into tears when she saw their color...[8o|] then I asked if if she ever saw the wall in the living room behind the Jubilee's?

She realized she hadn't.... and suddenly felt better. [Y]

I did however, give her instructions that no vacume cleaner nor anything else is to be plugged into an orange outlet. [:D]

post-15072-13819855602124_thumb.jpg

I might add that I also added an extra length of wire in an area of the wall (in the garage near the 2nd panel box) so that if I ever wanted/needed to add a balanced power line, I'd have the necessary length of wire already setup in the wall.

I'm not sure if balanced power line is the right word.... my understanding of it is, you take the hot lines in and there is some form of transformer in there that takes the power to the other side. This transformer kills most (all?) noise that might be in the power lines.

I'm holding that idea in reserve but, have attempted to also prewire for it.

My brother in law is an electrician.... had some nice orange outlets, hospital grade, that he gave me for free.

I think the orange outlets indicate an outlet that is hooked up to the emergengy generator. When there's a power outage, those are the outlets that are still usable.

I think the orange outlets indicate an outlet that is hooked up to the emergengy generator. When there's a power outage, those are the outlets that are still usable.

Does the wife, sitting on a bicycle attached to a generator, sweating her buns off to provide me electricity so I can sit in air conditioning and sip tea, count?

[:o]

Edited to add: The orange plugs that I'm using are also 20A rated, as they should be since they're sitting on a 20A circuit.

Now, back to getting the wife to peddle faster so I can turn the volume up... [A]

Just a idea(something I was thinking of doing in my basement/control room). But there are some some 12 volt triggered powered strips, and or boxes with outlets. I was wondering if there is something else like that, that one could wire a couple of outlets to so when they turn on the home theater receiver it would turn on the power amps(of course mainly for the ones using commercial power amps with out 12 volt triggers).

Does the wife, sitting on a bicycle attached to a generator, sweating her buns off to provide me electricity so I can sit in air conditioning and sip tea, count?

Collection%25Collection%25Collection%25Pedal-power1.jpg

To the matter at hand, anyone have a particularly good site for calculating the distance she should be from the screen, screen size, projector location while she peddles? I know there are many to choose from. Would like to get the slad to drop in the correct spot behind seating row, (or peddling it appears) 1.

Thanks IT