Klipschorn Project

kg4guy

Well I've had a pair of old Klipschorn bins for some time and finally had a chance to transform them. I just finished one I have AK-3 networks a pair of K-43's a pair of K-77'd and a pair of K-55's ready to go in I need to do some finishing work stain it and into the house it will go then start on the other one.

Very nice work but one question. The sides appear to be enclosed which means the area of the moth of the horn looks to be much less than what a nomal khorn has. That may affect the bass output and loading to the room.

A normal mouth on the khorn has the whole area of the side open, not just the smaller slots that yours appear to have. Easily viewed by the picture. I hope after all that good work the bass output isn't affected much.

post-2137-13819855807314_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Well I've had a pair of old Klipschorn bins for some time and finally had a chance to transform them. I just finished one I have AK-3 networks a pair of K-43's a pair of K-77'd and a pair of K-55's ready to go in I need to do some finishing work stain it and into the house it will go then start on the other one.

Looking good keep the pics coming.

My take was a bit different.... the left side of the speaker looks like you can see through it to the blue tarp in the background. That suggested to me that the output is in the back and the front is more cosmetic.

Then again, maybe that panel has yet to be installed.

Nice project!!

Looks like you eliminated the hollow triangular piece on the side of each bass bin and then enclosed them. I have a pair of speakerlab bas bins that are the same. About 24" across the front is I remember correctly. The see through are is supposed to go against the wall, or will it be closed in?

How is the bass response? I can go conventional or the way that you went with mine if I ever get around to completing the project.

• 1 month later...

I don't think you understood the questions/comments about your decision to make the mouth(s) smaller in your modification. This was not done either in the Anniversary edition or in the TSCM(?) versions.

Precisely. Building horns is not all woodwork though nice job on the woodwork. The smaller horn mouth probably affects the response.

I don't think you understood the questions/comments about your decision to make the mouth(s) smaller in your modification. This was not done either in the Anniversary edition or in the TSCM(?) versions.

Precisely. Building horns is not all woodwork though nice job on the woodwork. The smaller horn mouth probably affects the response.

There is no doubt about that. However, I am not sure just how audible the problems will be.

It would be of interest to look at the low end of the frequency response. Are there measurement capabilities available?