Anyone using an alternative web brouser? Just tried Slimboat

tigerwoodKhorns

MS explorer really slowed down on two computers. I cleaned the registry and they acted better, but MS wants me to "upgrade" from explorer 8. So I googled lighweight browsers and found Slimboat. I needed something that would work on windows and Linux and this seems to fit the bill.

It is fast and seems to work well.

I don't understand "fast" vs. "not fast" as to these browsers. There are differences, I am sure. But I have a fast machine, and all of the browsers are fast. The only thing affecting speed is probably my internet connection. Except for pages loaded with crappo (big data download) or downloading big data for some other reason, they all come up almost instantly.

IE was hanging and not loading. I had to keep refreshing and it would not load many times. This happened to two machines relatively quickly.

Task manager showed IE using 100% very frequently. Slimboat is 1/10th of that. A registry cleaner helped, but Windows software always gets slower for some reason. I'm sure it is not by design...

I'm not very competent with computers, but the last tech that worked on my computer set me up with some free ware. Glary Utilitie, cleaner, smart Defrag. Whenever the computer gets slow I run the defrag. I run the others almost daily. Seems to keep things up to spead for me. Of course they want me to buy updated version, but I'm happy with the free ware.....................Taz

I'm not very competent with computers, but the last tech that worked on my computer set me up with some free ware. Glary Utilitie, cleaner, smart Defrag. Whenever the computer gets slow I run the defrag. I run the others almost daily. Seems to keep things up to spead for me. Of course they want me to buy updated version, but I'm happy with the free ware.....................Taz

Thanks for the tip. Running a utility like that on Windows really helps. I have CC Cleaner and Autoruns which do a good job with the registry and Auslogics defrag which actually works and works quickly (vs Windows defrag). Bu tI do nto use them every day and they are not as easy as Glary. I like the Glary utility.

If a Windows computer was a car, imagine that you have a high HP and torque engine, but you attach a huge trailer to the car so it is no faster than any other car. Then, as you use it, crap is constantly put in the trailer so it gets heavier and heavier, until eventually you need to buy a car with more power just to have normal performance. This is what is called the Registry and it seems like it is designed to make yoru computer get slower over time.

My fastest computer is one that could barely handle Vista without freezing. I put Linux Mint on it and it is faster than any computer that I have (got rid of the trailer). Think about it, all of the tablets have "slow" processors and memory, but they have lightweight OS's and work efficiently.

When I last moved I performed a speed check after the internet service connection was completed (same company, same 'speed') and found my speed had decreased from 40+ to around 27mbps. Of course the installed gave me some fast talk about the modem needing "break-in" so I just politely let him leave.

After a couple of days I ran more speed checks with the same result and phoned in a trouble call. The tech came out, measured the signal and found nothing. Finally, the light bulb came on over his head and asked which browser I was using at both places. I switched over from Firefox to I.E. and the speed popped back to the 40+.

According to him, Firefox uses some software that reduces the throughput. All I can say is that between Chrome, Firefox, Safari and IE there is significant differences between ping times and download speeds. I use Firefox but if I need a VERY large file I might switch back to IE for that download.

Try a speed check between browsers yourself. Of course this has no bearing on the load the browser is placing on your computer, just internet speed.

I'm running Xubuntu (varient of the Ubuntu [Debian-based] distro) using the Xfce desktop instead of Unity. I have tried:

FireFox

Chromium (open source behind Chrome)

Opera

Arora

Konqueror

Midori

Rekonq

Of all of them, Midori gives me the best compromise between supporting most widgets, sloppy Javascript and imperfect CSS coding while providing the least system overhead, both in terms of CPU and memory usage. I'm running a (very) old Dell Optiplex based on an older Pentium something-or-other... system was almost unusable under Windoze 7 (never tried 8). Firefox, Chromium and Opera all suck up more resources than Midori. I tend to wind up with a bunch of open tabs with stuff like phpMyAdmin running on several hosts in different tabs, so the lightweight footprint makes a big difference.

Don't know offhand which would be available for Windoze.

Midori is available... Thanks for the info Ray. I hadn't heard of this on. It even lets me log onto the Klipsch forums with no problems.

Haven't seen you for quite a while.

Bruce

I'm running Xubuntu (varient of the Ubuntu [Debian-based] distro) using the Xfce desktop instead of Unity. I have tried:

FireFox

Chromium (open source behind Chrome)

Opera

Arora

Konqueror

Midori

Rekonq

Of all of them, Midori gives me the best compromise between supporting most widgets, sloppy Javascript and imperfect CSS coding while providing the least system overhead, both in terms of CPU and memory usage. I'm running a (very) old Dell Optiplex based on an older Pentium something-or-other... system was almost unusable under Windoze 7 (never tried 8). Firefox, Chromium and Opera all suck up more resources than Midori. I tend to wind up with a bunch of open tabs with stuff like phpMyAdmin running on several hosts in different tabs, so the lightweight footprint makes a big difference.

I will have to look into this. I have Lubuntu downloaded but have not tried it yet. Supposed to be faster than Mint.