Craigslist 'pushback'

Coytee

I presume we've all listed something on CL and had the scammers contact us with "I'll buy your merchandise, which looks fine to me"...."all I need is your name, phone, address, email....yada yada...

I learned the hard way that if you post your email address you'll probably get flooded with these.

Then it hit me...

What if I put in the body of the listing, how to reach me. Perhaps even make comment about the pushback that's going on... and then put the scammers emails in there as return emails.

If one of them doesn't read the listing (which is my presumption) they'll just go straight to the email listing and spam another scammer.

Anyone who actually reads the listing will know to phone.

Thoughts?

If i'm reading this correctly when you go to put the scammers email in there, that is were the confirmation email would go. Then you wouldnt be able to confirm the listing, in which case it would never get posted. Sounds like a great idea.

• Moderators

I put this at the top of my ads

Due to SPAM, please don't ask if the item is still for sale because I
will not reply. If the ad is up, the item is still available. Thanks
for your understanding.

That helps me eliminate any emails that ask "Is it available".

The rest I just have to use common sense. There will always be spammers and scammers. Sometimes I have emailed someone knowing it was probably spam or scam but did it anyways because I wasn't 100% sure and didn't want to miss out on a potential buyer.

If i'm reading this correctly when you go to put the scammers email in there, that is were the confirmation email would go. Then you wouldnt be able to confirm the listing, in which case it would never get posted. Sounds like a great idea.

To requote you, if I'm reading you correctly....you read me incorrectly....my head is spinning already.

The return email (the official one) would stay associated with the account. I'm talking about putting the physical email address of these spammers inside the body of the listing.

Even if just at the bottom after all the good stuff is gone, maybe like a signature line. Hoping they will see it and bother another one of their own.

If they actually respond to the listing through CL, then of course, I'd want the email to get to me. Currently, they do.

I might try that the next time I list something. I'll admit it's not often. Regardless, I have some logs the wife wants to sell and perhaps a dresser so I'll have another opportunity.

If they read english (the listing) they will see the correct way to reach me is through the phone. If instead, they ignore all that honest stuff and just go to copy down the email, they'll be sending the email to one of their buddies who I would hope would become a bit perplexed at why someone is asking about his merchandise and asking for his name/address/phone etc...

I put this at the top of my ads

Due to SPAM, please don't ask if the item is still for sale because I

will not reply. If the ad is up, the item is still available. Thanks

for your understanding.

I do something similar.... but I still get the responses. Maybe I'm not telling them nicely enough [:P]

• Moderators

I do something similar.... but I still get the responses. Maybe I'm not telling them nicely enough Stick out tongue

Guess I need to clarify....I do that for me, not for them. I still get replies that say "Is it available"....but I know because of the first line in my ad, it has to be SPAM or either they are illiterate.

You can also have fun with unsolicited snail mail that comes with postage paid return envelopes...

You mean like send it back to them attached to a box of rocks so postage is due?

...............................Taz