Will the RF-5's replace the B&W DM 604 S3's?

Youthman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not done a direct A/B comparison between the RF-5 and the RF-7

They sound very similar. The 5's seem to transition better from the mids to the highs. My assumption is that this is due to the smaller drivers on the 5's being able to go up a little higher than the 10" drivers on the 7's. The 7's seem to create a "larger" sound stage and sound a bit fuller.

• Moderators

I was wondering more about how the RF-7s compare to the B&Ws since the B&Ws seemed to beat the 5s in the low frequencies.

That would be a more fair comparison. I would have to do it one day when my son is not home. He can't stand it when I move his gear around. LOL I'm guessing he's become a little attached to his system. [:D]

• Moderators

Not sure either would be comparing apples to apples though considering the Klipsch retailed for double the cost of the B&W is typically cost considerably more than Klipsch (which was one reason why I designed my HT around Klipsch instead of B&W).

Plus the cabinet of the B&W's are 1/2 the size of the RF-83's and RF-7's and weight 1/3 less.

B&W DM 604 S3 - $1200 / pair

Klipsch RF-7 - $2200 / pair

Klipsch RF-83 - $2498 / pair

• Moderators

You are welcome to bring them over. You can compare them between the RF-5's and the B&W DM 604 S3's. Who knows, you might just go home with the RF-5's. [:D] My bet would be on the RF-5's with it having a much larger cabinet, horn loaded tweeter and extra bass driver. Those Paradigm are expensive little guys.

I just noticed your ad in the Emotive Forums. Are you looking to go a different direction?

• 2 weeks later...

I can remeber demoing B&W, Paradigm, Klipsch and Golden Ear all in the same custom shop in Indianapolis. I loved the sound of the Paradigm, B&W and RF 7II's, that day Golden Ear won out by a small margin. I remeber it not being that sensitve and for some the spl would be an issue. All 4 speakers had a unique nidrange and I could make a good argument for choosing any of the 4. I would think it would depend on what you like to listen to and how loud. For HT, Klipsch would be a noticeable step above the other speakers.

I think for me, the way different speakers handle the midrange and mid bass is the biggest difference between speakers.