FS: Vintage Yamaha CR-1040 receiver - Near Perfect Condition!

Rick

Here's a beautiful example of the classic Yamaha CR-1040 receiver. It is in near museum quality condition, and works perfectly. I have been using it every day in my main setup for 4 months, and it has performed flawlessly. The original owner passed away this spring, and it was inherited by his son, who I then purchased it from. It spent its entire life in the same enclosed cabinet and was used very little, and it shows. About the only thing I have been able to see that keeps it from being a near perfect example are a couple of very light "scuffs" on the top of the case. I am guessing it happened when it was removed from the cabinet it lived in, but they are not at all scratched into the finish, and they are hard to photograph, and hard to see to the naked eye. I am nearly certain these can be buffed out. Other than that, this thing looks practically brand new, with a perfect faceplate, straight edges on the cabinet, and no dings or marks of any kind. All the lamps & meters work, the controls are not noisy, and it is 100% operational. And oh yeah, it sounds fantastic! I didn't believe I would ever part with this, but a 7 month layoff has made it necessary.

It comes with all the original paperwork: Product brochure, owner's manual, warranty card, and even the receipt dated 4/9/81. The only thing I didn't get was the original box, but I have extensive experience in packing electronics, and it will be packed very safely for shipping (as well as being insured). My price of $450 includes free shipping to the Continental US only. Postal Money Order/Certified Check Only.

To eliminate the risk of UPS or FedEx damaging it during shipping, I am also willing to take a road trip (up to 150 miles each way from 14845) to meet up with a buyer.

Specs:

General
System: Transistor Receiver
Power consumption: 780 W 120/240 V
Pre Amplifier
Inputs: 1 Phono MM; 1 Phono MC; 2 Tape; 1 AUX
Inp. Sensitivity High Level: 120 mV
Inp. Impedance High Level: 40 kΩ
Frequency Response High Level: 5-100,000 (-2 dB; AUX 0.2 dB) HZ
Signal/Noise High Level: 100 db
Inp. Sensitivity Phono MM: 2.5 mV
Inp. Impedance Phono MM: 47 kΩ
Frequency Response Phono MM: RIAA (±0.2 dB)
Signal/Noise Phono MM: 95 db
Inp. Sensitivity Phono MC: 0.1 mV
Inp. Impedance Phono MC: 50 kΩ
Signal/Noise Phono MC: 85 db
Outputs: Rec out
Harmonic Distortion: 0.02 (0.01/0.05 Phono MM/MC) % at rated output
Tone Controls: Bass; Middle; Treble
Filters: Low; High
Loudness: variable
Power Amplifier
Speaker Outputs: 2 x 2 Speakers; 2 Phones
Continuous Power 4Ω: 80 + 80 (IHF); 120 + 120 (DIN) Watts
Continuous power 8Ω: 80 + 80 (IHF); 100 + 100 (DIN) Watts
Frequency Response: 10-40,000 (±0.2 dB) HZ
Damping factor: 40
Harmonic Distortion: 0.02 % at rated output
Tuner
Display: analog
Frequency Range FM: 87.5-108 MHz
Frequency Range AM: 525-1,605 KHz
Signal Strength Meter: 1 : 0=NO, 1=YES
Center Tuning Meter: 1 : 0=NO, 1=YES
Instrument Multipath: 1 : 0=NO, 1=YES
Inp. Sensitivity Mono: 1.2 (DIN, 40 kHz/ 26 dB); 1.6/0.8 (IHF 300/75 ?) μV
Inp. Sensitivity Stereo: 35 (DIN, 40 kHz/ 46 dB) μV
Frequency Response: 30-15,000 (+0.4/-1 dB) HZ
Harmonic Distortion: 0.07 (Mono); 0.09 (Stereo) % at rated output
Separation: > 82/65 (DX IHF/DIN); 48/35 (Local IHF/DIN) db
Signal/Noise Mono: 90/78 (IHF/DIN) db
Signal/Noise Stereo: 84/74 (IHF/DIN) db
Pilot Signal Rejection: 70 db
IF Rejection: > 100 (98 MHz) db
Physical
Dimensions: 20.5 x 5.9 x 15.2 (w) x (h) x (d)
Weight: 36.4 lbs

Not my best photos, but anyone who knows me knows that I'm a no [bs], honest seller. If anyone wishes to see additional pics, just let me know...

photo YamahaCR-1040031_zps0e01835e.jpg

photo YamahaCR-1040004_zpse82ba092.jpg

photo YamahaCR-1040009_zps25e3ccb9.jpg

photo YamahaCR-1040037_zps3b8dbdfa.jpg

There are no blemishes on the sides, I had wiped it off with a damp paper towel paper and it wasn't completely dry yet.

photo YamahaCR-1040015_zps4ef3fa40.jpg

photo YamahaCR-1040017_zps8ebdbfde.jpg

photo YamahaCR-1040018_zps9805b29f.jpg

photo YamahaCR-1040043_zps7aea0f58.jpg

Great looking unit Rick. I know that this one will be hard to part with....

Boxx,

You are correct, this is very difficult to part with (probably more so than any piece of equipment that I've ever let go)... When I found this, I considered it a once in a lifetime score... And you know how much I loved to take photos of it to post in the "right this minute" thread... [8-|]

Absolutely gorgeous Rick, one of the best looking receivers of that era/time period. If I had the coin I'd be all over it as I would love to have it on the Vandersteens in my sons room instead of the AV NAD unit they are running! I second Boxx on that sweet little setup you have put together and hopefully someone will become the proud new owner soon and help a brother out[;)]

I wish modern Yamaha receivers still came with power output meters and a tuning meter like your CR-1040. I had a CR-1020 for decades and liked its features.

On the other hand, the newer receivers do sound clearer, which more than makes up for the loss of those features, plus the variable loudness. That was good, too.

Also note, for anyone not familar with this... it has an 'adapter' circuit. You can see the connections for it on the back.

This allows you, via a button on the front, to bring that circuit in or out. I used it as an insertion point for my dbx stuff.

This allows your tape monitors to be dedicated to tapes.

I really liked that feature, as well as the variable loudness.

I am surprised there hasn't been more interest in this beautiful receiver, Rick. I have always been a fan of the old Yamaha beasts, & I am very happy with my CR-820. I wish I had any room or need for this piece, it should have traded by now.Happy Friday.