A fond farewell

Johnlw7

May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind be always at your back. 

May the sun shine warm upon your face; 

the rains fall soft upon your fields 

and until we meet again, 

may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

And may you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead.

• Like 1

Wait, didn't this person pass in late 2013?  Sorry not discrediting it by no means but it seams strange that it's being revived now, perhaps I am missing something?

i figured he had passed by now since his original post seemed to suggest he was close. In a separate thread I asked if anyone knew the guy since we didn't receive notification from his family or friends.  I couldn't remember the guy's screen name and the original thread was found and provided to me.  Besides, maybe there are computers where he is and he lurks on this forum...at least he knows he wasn't forgotten.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

Wait, didn't this person pass in late 2013?  Sorry not discrediting it by no means but it seams strange that it's being revived now, perhaps I am missing something?

My father hung on to life for 8 full months after his terminal cancer diagnosis was given. At 91 YOA he had only been a hospital patient once before in life (born there). He became a revolving door hospital patient in the last 8 months. He passed away August 2014 fully cognizant and mentally sharp, proud of passing his final driver's test on his 91st birthday in January 2014. My mother, also passed away in August 2015 riddled with cancer in every major organ in her body (pulmonary, gastric, liver, etc.) 28 days from her terminal diagnosis. Mom had had dementia for 10 years with my father as her care-giver for the 1st nine of her last 10 years. Neither mom or dad used tobacco and lived an active life healthy lifestyle all of their lives. Dad could still fit in the RCAF uniform he had worn through WWII. Mom could still fit in her wedding dress to the end of dad's life 62 years beyond their wedding day. 

My wife smoked tobacco for two years (age 15 - 17) and is currently off work undergoing chemo due to a re-occurrence of Lymphona. Treatment has been slow, painful and not entirely successful so far this time. She was initially diagnosed 5 years ago.

My point is not so much to relive their individual experiences of living with cancer but to make the point that even when someone is given a terminal cancer diagnosis it does not mean that their life is over. With determination, and lots of family and friend's support and some degree of luck the human capacity to go on under adversity can be amazing.

I saw the initial post of 2013 but I never assumed that the OP had passed away.

Edited by Wolfbane