EV HP640 on Klipschorn, now setting up the MINIDSP.

The Dude

Anyone have any experience with this horn. I was thinking of trying it as a mid horn on my Klipschorns. There seems to be other JBL horns that looks like they could work, such as 2380, 2382, 2385. But the 2386 had a lower frequency cut off. I all so was looking at other horn but for the price I can get some of these fairly cheap. If I had the extra dough I would just get Eliptrac 400's and be done with it. But for now was looking for a low cost possibility, If I had to, I could give the P. Audio ph 4530 a try. I was even looking at EV hp 640s or 940s. I don't really want to spend more the 150.00 for a pair of horns right now with Christmas just around the corner. If I came across a steal on a P. audio ph 4525 I have one of those all ready and would just pick it up. But it seems the only ones I can find are across the pond, which shipping would kill me.

I don't have any experience with that JBL, but I do have some HP640 and they're very nice sounding horns. I haven't tried mine with KHorns though.

If the OP is interested, I have a a pair of these in strorage if you are interested. Beware that shipping is pricey.

Please PM if there are any questions. Yes, they do sound good in a two way or three way system.

-Tom

• Like 1

Tom, do you have the JBL 2386, or the EV HP640. I just purchased a single EV Hp640 to test out on my system. I will be testing the Faital PRO hf 200, and the K-69. I would love to have a way to properly take some readings, along with convincing others who have taking readings of various driver/horn/crossover setups. To put in a archive of some sort so people all ways have something to look at. I feel as long the frequency response are there, then it would just come down to personal taste.

Tom you will have pm shortly.

Nick.

Sorry for the confusion. The horns that I have in strorage are the Electrovoice HP 640s. They are a 2 inch throat CD horn that controls dispersion in the horizontal (at 60 deg down to 500 Hz) and the vertical (at 40 deg down to about 1800Hz). They measure about 26 in wide x 13 tall x 17 deep. To me they sound good ----- better than a JBL horn (I used the 2360 - the big guy) but not as good as a Klipsch K402. I only mentioned this as a alternative since someone else brought it up.

IMHO, it can be used with a Klipschorn. You would probably need more than a single pole filter. I put mine on top of a La Scala bass bin for a short time. It sounded pretty good. If you do these kinds of experiments, I would suggest getting an inexpensive electronic crossover for testing (Behringer, DBX etc).

2386 = 40°x 20°, not the best for home stereo.

The HP640 has a 1/4W cut-off frequency below 200hz. The Di is listed as being 9.2dB at 500hz, vs an Altec 311-90 has a Q=5 (Di=7dB) at 500hz..

I would go for a digital crossover with time delay and 24dB and try 400hz~500hz and see what works.

The HP640 sounds great, but I build them into three-way systems above horn-loaded dual 12's, usually at 800hz or higher.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/dkleitsch/CoePA-2009.jpg

Warning: The HP640 pair currently on eBay with DH1A drivers have aftermarket diaphragms.

Tom no problems, I have been wanting to try one of the Behringer dcx 2496's for some time now. I guess I just to save a little and pick on up. DJK, I have read where as some folks say that a 90 x 40 horn are more appropriate vs a 60 x 40 or anything else for that matter for home stereo. does this have to do with when sound exits the horn and reflects off of the walls. I guess I was mainly looking at the frequency range, there are other horns that look as they might fit the bill but not sure. Have you had any experience with the 2360, and 2365. I know by the time I dump money into a pair of those I could just buy the custom maid stuff that is known to work. I did not like the sound of the Altec 511 I know its the 311 you mentioned but how does each one compare to the tin like sound.

Bruce, I was looking at those horns as well. I wish we lived closer to one another, I would be willing to let you borrow my Faital pros, if you let me borrow yours horns. But shipping the everything back and forth could get costly.

Tom, the 2386 is a 40 x 20 horn I think that is what DJK was referring to. I think the 2380 or 2385 might be better. I still might try the P. Audio ph 4530, to see how it works out.

Hi Tom, what did you finally end up as the permenant arrangement?

Is anything ever permenant?

I picked up some K-402s. They sound fantastic!. I am in the process of switching over from the K-69 drivers to some JBL 2446's.

Saga to be continued.

-Tom

This may be a stupid question like asking why did you climb that mountain; however, I have to know. Why switch from the K-69? I only ask because I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a tophat for 3 KPT-904's, and I was going to get the 402/69.

" I have read where as some folks say that a 90 x 40 horn are more
appropriate vs a 60 x 40 or anything else for that matter for home
stereo. does this have to do with when sound exits the horn and
reflects off of the walls. I guess I was mainly looking at the
frequency range, there are other horns that look as they might fit the
bill but not sure. Have you had any experience with the 2360, and 2365.
I know by the time I dump money into a pair of those I could just buy
the custom maid stuff that is known to work. I did not like the sound
of the Altec 511 I know its the 311 you mentioned but how does each one
compare to the tin like sound."

All horns with a long narrow tail and pinch (2360 and 2380 type) in the horn before the horizontal flare sound 'pinched', even at moderate levels. At high levels these type horns really 'quack' and make 'frying bacon' sounds. You can quickly audition many different models of horns by just holding them up to your mouth and speaking through them.

60° or 90°?

A good 60° horn like the HP640 is so smooth off-axis that I would consider it for home use. The H+V combined Di varies only ±1.75dB from 500hz to 16Khz, an Altec 511 is much looser and Altec only measures to 8Khz. These horns sound quite different.

"I just purchased a single EV Hp640 to test out on my system."

Great.

If you like it you can pick up another, if you don't like it I can use another single (I have a single and would like to either buy or sell one).

Great.

If you like it you can pick up another, if you don't like it I can use another single (I have a single and would like to either buy or sell one).

I just received this monster, and I say monster as this is the biggest horn I have sampled. I will hopefully get my hands on a active in the next couple of weeks and will find out. At this time I will be comparing to the P audio ph 4525.

I was thinking today how its kind of tricky finding the right horn/driver combo that goes down to the 400 hz frequency cut off the Klipschorn needs. I read where the Klipschorn has some troubles in the 350 hz. If this is the case why didn't Paul. W. use a mid bass horn of some sort. I know that would make it a 4 way but to each it his or her own. As that would add more components to the crossover network.

" If this is the case why didn't Paul. W. use a mid bass horn of some sort."

That is something he should have done.

Any kind of 5"~10" cone-driven horn crossed to a good HF driver around 1Khz would have worked better.

I had dialog with a BMS midrange user and mentioned the M200 Community sounded better. He tried it and agreed. I suggested trying a 5" P-Audio cone driver (WN-520N) with a mass corner of 1.7Khz, he did, and it sounded better than the M200. He is using a Beyma HF driver that is quite expensive http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%20tpl150h-1.htm

With a crossover of 1Khz (or higher), the HF driver can be chosen on the basis of its VHF performance (16Khz), rather than its midrange performance (500hz) .

http://www.usspeaker.com/Faital%20Pro%20HF10AK-1.htm

faitalpro-hf10ak-f-size475.gif

Above graph taken on the Faital Pro LTH102 Tractrix horn.

Many other horn/driver combos are available as well.FfAITAL PRFAITAL PRO LTH102O LTH10