Cornscalas in Va. or NC?

Shakeydeal

New member here and new Cornwall II owner. I really like what I am hearing and would like to go to the next level. I am torn between updating the xovers and tweeters or going whole Hog on a pair of Cornscalas. Comments and thoughts are welcome, but I would really like to be able to hear a pair within driving distance of southwest Virginia.

Thanks,

Shakey

OK, Ozzy, I see you made it over here. One thing about Hi-Eff speakers as you probably know is that they are physically big. Which makes them harder to audition than others. It took me a awhile to hear my first Khorns and I have yet to hear Jubilees. You are in an area where there are more opurtunies than I am, so I am sure that you'll eventually find some.

LIsten to Khorns, Jubilees any Hi-Effs you can find. Also, Don't forget other Horns. A friend of mine has a pair of Oris Horns, on top of some Altec bass Bins that simply sound wonderful. I have also heard Avantagard Horns and while very Pricey also sound Great. If you don't get any bites on this post, ask what Klipsch Forum members are in your area and if they are open to auditions. Most are. I have had a few forum members over to my place.

When I did eventaully decide on a Pair of Khorns, it took me about 8 months to find a used pair close enough to drive over and pick them up. 700 Miles round trip. That was 8 years ago and pretty much got me off the 'speaker' merry go round'.I can't ever see myself getting any other speaker than a Horn Midrange. The Dynamics are unsurpassed !

I'm your guy to listen to Cornwalls with refreshed xovers and an all tube setup.

Shakey,

I have heard Cornscalas, and Marty's offer is something you should do IMO before making any final decision on the Cornscala.

You should also visit WC in NC, if he has a variety of Klipsches to hear -- I haven't had that privilege myself, but would definitely do it if I were in that market.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

To give you a little background about me.

System is:

VTL ST-150

K&K tube phono stage

Sonic Euphoria PLC (autoformer passive)

Well Tempered Amadeus with Benz Wood body

SB Touch with MHDT Havana DAC and CIA PS

I have a pair of Reference 3a Grand Veenass that I am selling after hearing the Cornwalls. The GV are great

speakers, but the Cornwall just moves me and is the direction I want to go in.

I would love to visit the dealer in NC, but honestly I have no interest in a new pair of Klipsch speakers. I think if

I heavily modified my CWs. they would be as good or better than the IIIs. I am sure the K-Horn would rock my

world, but that is out of my price range right now.

The Cornscala sounds interesting and on paper makes sense. I just don't want to deviate too far from the sound

I am getting now, cause I like it.

Oh and BTW. any detractors that say Cornwalls can't work out in the room should come over. These are nearly

six feet from the front wall and bass is solid below 40 hz. I tried them close to the wall and the magic disappeared.

Yeah, they sounded like really good speakers, but I already have that. Into the room, they sound like musicians

playing instruments.

Shakey

Shakey,

If it's not too far from you, you should still check out WC in Charlotte. He also builds crazy things. Paying him a visit might be a surprise.

I can uynderstand full well how much better your Corns sound when placed so far from the wall. My LaScalas also sounded their best when I had them pulled away from the wall. Imaging was superb!

Bruce

I am sure the K-Horn would rock my
world, but that is out of my price range right now.

Don't rule out the Khorn. They can be as cheap as cornscalas used. I bought mine used. So, go listen to them before you make any decisions. Then you can mod the hell out of them and tailor them to your likings.

If you decide you want Khorns, you would probably only have to wait no more than 6 months to find a used pair close enough to pick up.

Enjoy your Cornwalls for now, but listen to as many Horns as you can.......And then......SET amps !