BUILD THREAD: 4 Stereo Integrity 18's

Scrappydue

What this iPod Dock you speak of? I have some very crazy ideas regarding an EXTREME iPod Dock.

The thread can be viewed at https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/144722-bluetooth-ipod-dock-on-steroids/

Unfortunately, due to the parsimonious data limit under the new forum regime, the original attachments have been deleted. In my copious free time I'll establish an account with Photo Bucket, or the like, and restore the photos.

My audio challenged friends and family are amazed at the sound from this boombox. My bother paid it the ultimate left-handed compliment when he said it sounds better than his Bose dock, which it clearly does.

I'm in the process of installing one of my plethora of chip amps, as well as a Bluetooth receiver, inside the enclosure. I'm also experimenting with installing a 12v battery and charger inside the enclosure, then the AC cord will only be needed to recharge the internal battery.

Until then, the attachments should suffice.

post-6832-0-01340000-1387128701.jpg

post-6832-0-46500000-1387128721_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-96820000-1387128738_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus

There's no tuning sealed boxes. The boxes are also pre cut so they just need assembly.

Hmmm...I'm asking because in the component and price list Scrappydue laid out, he included....

not part of the build but needed for tuning:

Repeater USB cable 9.98 from parts express

Dayton Omnimic V2 299.00 from parts express

There's no tuning sealed boxes. The boxes are also pre cut so they just need assembly.

Hmmm...I'm asking because in the component and price list Scrappydue laid out, he included....

"Not part of the build" means these weren't needed to assemble the subs. The mic and cable were used to measure the subs response in his room.

I'm in the process of installing one of my plethora of chip amps, as well as a Bluetooth receiver, inside the enclosure.

Will you re-calculate the port volume?

Yes. I'll have an extra glass before and after the transformation.

Seriously, that assumes there was a precise calculation the first time, which there was not. The enclosure is ~ 0.5 ft3, which is similar to discontinued Tekton single driver BR enclosure with Fostex FE103e driver, therefor, the port volume (2.0" D x 2.0" long) in the single driver cousin to the boombox is similar to Tekton's. Experimentation with the length of the port in that configuration sounded best at 2 x 2.

In the boombox, 2 drivers share the volume and port (somewhat like a Bose unit). Clearly it's a tremendous compromise to get some bass reinforcement in a reasonably portable (>22#) enclosure. Some experimentation with port length for the boombox demonstrated that longer sounded better. At ~4.0" in length, the boombox port is as long as it can be. Placing the unit on its back with the port facing a hard floor, approximately 1.0" from the floor, due to the 4 rubber feet, seems to further reinforce and tighten the bass.

The reduction in internal volume will be minimal, if any. What comes out will essentially offset what goes in. This is a seat-of-the pants project, not hard science. The result sounds very good. Regular people are very impressed; PWK and Amar B would have been able to point out many weaknesses.

Edited by DizRotus

"Not part of the build" means these weren't needed to assemble the subs. The mic and cable were used to measure the subs response in his room.

correct. You could let audussey take a stab at it but I wanted full tunability to be Abel to take advantage is sealed subs.

Seriously, that assumes there was a precise calculation the first time, which there was not. The enclosure is ~ 0.5 ft3,

I wasn't sure how you figured it. When messing with sub building in Winisd, you have to factor in bracing. It;s not much of the total volume, but it does make a difference.

• 4 weeks later...

No need to "tune" a sealed sub? May I ask why other sealed subs come with electronics in which you are able to tune them? I know the SVS SB-13 Ultra does... There is quite the menu to tune the parameters built into the amp. I know a good HT receiver has some of the same basic settings as well as built in Audessey XT 32 in my new HT receiver but everything I have researched says to use the SVS SB tuning first. Then, if necessary the Audessey XT 32 if needed to fine tune.

I am a newbie so forgive me if I am missing something here. I just bought the SVS and have yet to fire it up. But my clock is ticking on my 45 day trial if I want to return it and build one which is why I am here asking questions. I would LOVE to hear a home built before I go sending my SVS back. The thought of saving a bit of coin if I build 1 or 2 subs is very appealing!

First off when we say time we mean that a ported sub will have a tune of say 20hz. It plays loud down to that and then falls in it's face. Sealed are sealed. There is no tune. They play as low as they can. Yes I use dsp to "tune" them after similar to the two parametric EQ's the Svs sledge has available.

Building is easy. And two 18's could be built with a nice amp over what the sb-13 cost for sure. However unless you a professional finisher I would say the finish isn't as "nice". It's nice enough that my wife has allowed it onto the new living room subs I'm building if that says anything.

But, everyone has their priority and most don't wanna build subs. I owned two Svs and once I moved them into my basement they lost just about all magic appeal to me. They just did nothin for me anymore. I knew I needed big woofers to move big air. And now i have it.

But, everyone has their priority and most don't wanna build subs. I owned two Svs and once I moved them into my basement they lost just about all magic appeal to me. They just did nothin for me anymore. I knew I needed big woofers to move big air. And now i have it.

Can you elaborate on the part about moving your SVS subs into the basement? Are you saying that the subs performed better upstairs where they were surround by wood-construction floors/walls, but once they got into the concrete floor/walls of the basement they did not have the same impact?