Movie in the park

Scrappydue

Hey all, I have been toying around with the idea of doing a movie in my backyard for the neighborhood with my own gear. Well upon mentioning it on Facebook my idea has blossomed into a movie at the park. Lots of interest and even some from the city park and Rec department. What I am wondering is what kind of speakers would I need to look into for something like this? I know 2 channel would be the easiest. But it's just not as cool for movies as surround sound. I was thinking maybe something like some la scalas for fronts and something like a heresy for rears. Or maybe kpt model stuff. Im thinking of stuff i can find used that isnt greatest cosmetic as i would be moving them arpund alot anyways. Run em all off of a lower end 5.1 receiver. Something like my denon 1713. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Might be worth doing in the back yard once/twice so you can iron the bugs out.

I did this and it worked great.... but discovered the issues of not having power in the field (so had to change where it happened to near the house)

If I did a surround deal, I'd have issues of people walking/driving over the wires to various speaker locations.

Don't expect much OOMPH in the bass department as it takes cubic inches to power it outside. Don't get me wrong, it will probably sound good, you just won't "feel" those LF effects unless you got some woofage woofing.

I had a single LaScala near screaming at its lungs as I played an Ohio State Marching band CD and I walked around the field. Sounded fantastic.... much like you were at a stadium listening to the band playing.

I was going to do this once at the dock and have a "boat in" theater experience.... perhaps a couple times over the summer. Never happened. I always wondered if there would be legal issues playing something like that (even if for free) at a public event.

post-15072-13819860101562_thumb.jpg

You might want to check into obtaining the rights to show the movie in a public setting. Being in a public park with the rec dept might constitute a commercial showing. Doing it in your own backyard would be fine. Protect yourself. Great idea though.

I myself would do your homework on the legal issues , the City could give you a permit but that is not permission rights to publicly show a movie .

you might do all this have a great time & then many months later get a bill from the movie's owner of the rights even thou it was a free affair there still might be a fee they would want from you

I know this happens to small retail shops that play a radio station broadcast they come in wanting fee for just having a song they own play over the stores systems even thou it was a radio station .

Just saying know everything before you jump into the pool .

When I was playing Grateful Dead shows I had recorded them so they were my recordings the band allowed the recordings so no rights of any company were stepped on .

Heritage stuff would be pretty sweet and you could definitely use their higher sensitivities. Just remember, it's a lot to lug around. I DJ'ed for a little bit in high school and had 2 mach speakers, GLI amp and "the command center".

This could be a really fun project, trying to seek out klipsch gear. I would try to do the 5 channel. Have you thought about subs?

I looked into a public movie showing in my neighborhood this past Spring. Nervous of possible fines, I found this website to be the 'go-to' for licensing:

http://www.swank.com/other/index.html

It's expensive. $350 and up depending on how many people are to show up (which is very hard to guess with this kind of presentation). I love the idea of having a movie for our neighborhood but the money squelches it for me. Sure I could charge people but that's not in my mental recipe.

While info-gathering cyclonecj mentioned there are movies that are now 'public domain'. There must be a list online somewhere. Ferris Bueller is one. This route means older films, but it's something.

Other advice given to me was to elevate your speakers so everyone (or as many as possible) can see them. Block that line of sight and it will be more difficult to hear.

i despise how money hungry the movie and music industry is. it's not like they don't make enough when millions of people around the world pay to see the movie then millions more pay 20-30$ for a blu-ray? all this licensing stuff probably scares so many people from doing things like this. guess i can just invite the whole town into my "private" home and then i have nothing to worry about lol.