Youthman's 2ch Setup Just Received a Sweet Upgrade!

Youthman

If you had one Acurus amp to buy, which would it be and why? I would rather be patient and wait for a 2ch than to spend more money on a 3ch (that frankly looks dated). I prefer the looks of the A200 with the Oval Plate on the front.

The A200 of course. It has "slightly" less rated power than the older A250, 200 vs 250, but it has all the great qualities of the A250(superb bass drive, midbass punch, great detail) but with a softer high end that does not lack the detail but does tame the brittleness that the A250 can have with some speakers. The A200 also does look better than the first generation Acurus amps(A150, A250, 200x3) with the very plain and industrial faceplate.

Bill

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Youth, even the Nautilus series will not sound that much diffent than your current B&W's.

Wow, that is surprising. Figured the higher up the chain you went, the better the sound.

They do get better, they are just not as dynamic (punchy) as horns. More "laid back" and they take a huge amount of power to drive (at least the 801 and 800 do).

Try a pair of Palladiums. They have all of the detail and finesse of the 800 series B&Ws and use horns.

Psssst (in my lowest whisper voice) amps, dacs and yes even cables do not all sound the same, although a lot of people will argue they all do.

But the truth is some people couldn't even be able to accurately tell the difference between even speakers in blind tests.

Some people haven't really taken the time or maybe are not interested enough to notice. Also everyone's hearing is not the same, I know I have excellent hearing. Now color is a different thing as I am partially color blind. I'd never even know I was as I feel I can see colors pretty well, but give me those tests for color blindness and I won't do very well at all.

I forgot to ask, those using an EQ, what do you use?

They are pretty cheap and can be had used on ebay for around $50-$75 for a brand like Yamaha (model eq-70 is pretty good for cheap). Or you can buy a new cheap brand like gmi for around $50-$75. I personally cant live without it. It sounds so much better with just small tweaks up or down to what my taste is.

I don't know how you do it bill. I even whisper that amps sound different and I get jumped on by people here and people over on Avs telling me it's all in my head and that all amps sound the same.

I ain't afraid of those guys.[:@][:D] I knows what I hears.

The first time I hooked up my Acurus A150 to my Quartets after using a Marantz MA-700(200w/ch) monoblock, I asked my buddy what was the first thing he heard, and his reply was noticeable strong punchy bass that he had never heard before from any amp. I totally agreed with his assessment.

Bill

I don't know how you do it bill. I even whisper that amps sound different and I get jumped on by people here and people over on Avs telling me it's all in my head and that all amps sound the same.

I ain't afraid of those guys.AngryBig Smile I knows what I hears.

The first time I hooked up my Acurus A150 to my Quartets after using a Marantz MA-700(200w/ch) monoblock, I asked my buddy what was the first thing he heard, and his reply was noticeable strong punchy bass that he had never heard before from any amp. I totally agreed with his assessment.

Bill

Lol and i agree with you. What i meant was your able to talk about how different these amps sound in different threads and none of these guys ever jump in and and say its all in your head. And i know they read it because they post in the thread. So i was just commenting on how i don't know how you do it without any of them ever saying anything [:o] [;)]

I use one of these, it works wonders!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/audio-control-c-101series-3-equalizer-with-real-time-audio-spectrom-analizer-/261300749471?pt=US_Stereo_Receivers&hash=item3cd6bd049f

What has happened to these forums? I can't find the option of using "bold" text or the option of adding links anymore. Very strange...

So i was just commenting on how i don't know how you do it without any of them ever saying anything SurpriseWink

Well maybe it is because I am THE expert and I know better than all and they dare not to challenge my authority.[;)]

Truthfully, even though we all are Klipsch "fan boys" to some extent, we have no real allegience to any electronics gear mfr's. We may have our favorites but most here are willing to accept others opinions without too much prejudice.

Bill

http://www.ebay.com/itm/audio-control-c-101series-3-equalizer-with-real-time-audio-spectrom-analizer-/261300749471?pt=US_Stereo_Receivers&hash=item3cd6bd049f

What has happened to these forums? I can't find the option of using "bold" text or the option of adding links anymore. Very strange...

The options are still there, although we wlll be getting a new forum in about a week so who knows how things will change then. I am hoping for the better. [:)]

So i was just commenting on how i don't know how you do it without any of them ever saying anything SurpriseWink

Well maybe it is because I am THE expert and I know better than all and they dare not to challenge my authority.Wink

Truthfully, even though we all are Klipsch "fan boys" to some extent, we have no real allegience to any electronics gear mfr's. We may have our favorites but most here are willing to accept others opinions without too much prejudice.

Bill

You got my vote lol. Leaned a ton about amps reading your posts [:D]

That would work perfect. I set mine and then store it behind the cabinet on its side like a pc when I'm done setting it. That way its hidden (like to keepsthe lights to a min). Use 6ft rca so i can pull it out if i want to tweak it. Do you run yours between your pre and amp (i do)? Or do you use the tape in and out? I run it between the pre and amp so it can be used with movies,tv, and music.

• Moderators

Try a pair of Palladiums.

Youthman is too cheap for Palladiums. [:P]

I even whisper that amps sound
different and I get jumped on by people here and people over on Avs
telling me it's all in my head

I've always heard that amps can sound different. I do think you probably hear voices sometimes though. Haha

I can't find the option of using "bold" text or the option of adding links anymore. Very strange...

Yeah, for some reason the BOLD and Links don't work. [:P]
My guess is you are either using an apple product or Chrome. Those
options don't work with those platforms. The new forums should fix
that.