Horn project

Guest David H

Does wood normally have a different characteristic sound compared to aluminum?

Some people complain about ringing in aluminum or cast metal horns. Others complain about honking in plastic horns. Now whether or not those issues indeed exist with metal or plastic horns is something that will be debated until the end of time. The advantage of using wood or mdf is their resonant frequencies are below the horns range. So no debate needed. Dave is indeed the new horn guru. I've learned much from his tireless efforts.

• Like 1

Does wood normally have a different characteristic sound compared to aluminum?

Some people complain about ringing in aluminum or cast metal horns. Others complain about honking in plastic horns. Now whether or not those issues indeed exist with metal or plastic horns is something that will be debated until the end of time. The advantage of using wood or mdf is their resonant frequencies are below the horns range. So no debate needed. Dave is indeed the new horn guru. I've learned much from his tireless efforts.

Thank you for the response. I assume that the thickness of the wood would make the resonance drop even lower... So the resonenance frequency would be lower than the cabinet resonance frequency.

Play some FM interstation noise at a moderately loud level.

Push in the tape monitor button (or mute).

Listen to the decay of the noise.

This is what is being added to the music.

Some metal horns make a 'schwing' sound that actually rises in pitch as the noise decays.

A well damped horn is dead silent.

Edited by djk

Guest David H

Eagerly waiting for a review of these horns. :)

See that, not you made me work.

Here is a shot of the driver adapter, I used Conical expansion to mate to the rectangular throat.

Edited by GotHover

Guest David H

Frequency response done in room using FFT and calibrated mic. Not anechoic!!!

Driver is Selenium D-220-Ti

Low frequesncy FR done using Selenium D-250X in room.

Guest David H

well... it is at least interesting

gallery_22274_24_81836.jpg

Yes, this was listening test of the radial horn set atop my Econowaves. The radial horn was significantly more coherent than the original Econowave horn.

Dave

Edited by GotHover

"Coherent". I love that word because it's easy to understand and conveys so much. I like "cohesive" too. Does the music sound like it's emanating from a singular source, or does it sound somewhat disjointed?

Sorry for the incoherent, disjointed rambling. :)

Guest David H

"Coherent". I love that word because it's easy to understand and conveys so much. I like "cohesive" too. Does the music sound like it's emanating from a singular source, or does it sound somewhat disjointed?

Sorry for the incoherent, disjointed rambling. :)

I haven't had a lot of time to listen, however I do consider them cohesive. Does effortless work for you?

My initial impression of the sound - They are far better than expected. Definitely 2 way capable.

Dave

Dave,

I'm curious as to how you are setting up your mic relative to the horn when you take measurements. I just took some measurements of my own build and seem to have trouble getting accurate reading in the higher frequencies. Are you taking these measurements outside, or are you inside and limiting the impulse window to get your readings?

My initial impression of the sound - They are far better than expected. Definitely 2 way capable.

Dave

Great. Please post more comments fater you have had an opportunity to do more listening. Go ahead and use any adjatives that you want, we won't tease you (well except Dean, but he is like Mikey from the old Life Cereal commercial).

Guest David H

Dave

Great. Please post more comments fater you have had an opportunity to do more listening. Go ahead and use any adjatives that you want, we won't tease you (well except Dean, but he is like Mikey from the old Life Cereal commercial).

I took these over to Johnny 5's place yesterday, we spend 3-4 hours listening. I find the Radial horn open, dynamic, detailed.

He likes it hey Mikey!!!!!

Dave

Edited by GotHover

Guest David H

What is the crossover Fr?

This horn has an Fc 0f 400 Hz, should be crossed 600 Hz or higher I have been using it at 1k.

Here I loaded a Selenium D250x to see where is loads.

Dave

Edited by GotHover