Need a new Sub

GlenRasmussen

Hey Gang,

I have a pair of 1981 Klipshorns. I have had since new. I Just set up a new surround Media Center.

and looking for suggestions as to which Klipsch sub would best compliment my 5.1 surround system. looking for something to put behind my chair to give that lower crisp bottom end found in most new Blue Ray Concerts.

what would you guys suggest, as I am far from Dealers.

Thanks in advance

Razz

your money will be better spent on a internet dealer sub like svs, hsu, rythmik, psa. can you assemble wood and paint? if so diy is my number one choice. lots of kits out there that are pre cut and easy to put together.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/subwoofer-flatpacks-2/4-sub-flat-pack.html

http://stereointegrity.com/index.php?id=60

that box and that woofer will make a great addition. or you could build two and add an amp for like 1100$ can't get much better than that. they have tons of depth, very punchy for music being sealed. i love mine. my sub quest was never-ending seemed like. i haven't looked at subs at all for about 5 months now since i finished mine.

and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

here's my build thread and you can see how it easy that it was. two 18's for the price of a single mid level svs. thats why i sold my dual pb-13 ultras for what i have now.

http://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/145539-build-thread-4-stereo-integrity-18s/

Edited by Scrappydue

Glen Rasmussen,

If you want a Klipsch Sub that goes Low, then you want an RSW-15, they are no longer made for several years and must be bought used. If you want to go Low and have the room, there is the Klipsch KPT-884. It has a single longer excursion 18 inch woofer in a huge shallow cabinet. If you only want a musical Sub and it has to be Klipsch, then get a Klipsch KPT-684 if you have the room. KPT stands for Klipsch Pro Theatre. They are very large and have two 18" woofers but drop off below 35 Hz so it won't play synthesized music like rap bass notes or low frequency scenes like in Movie explosions. I have two of these subs in my living room. Both Klipsch Pro Theatre Subs require an external amp and can be bought cheap used. If you don't have to have Klipsch, Are you willing to go used, or must it be new??? Are you willing to do it yourself or build a kit??? What is your budget??? We can help you out with a lot better suggestions if you give us these answers, and by the way, WELCOME!!! to the forum, we hope you come and stay for a while!!!

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

If you are wanting a sub for the KHorns, then a horn loaded sub is the way to go. I have a pair of KPT-684's and a pair of THT's and the THT's hands down sounded better with my horn loaded LaScalas. The 684's are great subs, but they are more a match for reflex speakers like KPT-904's and their ilk. If you want a HT sub, try the THT, if you want more musical go for the Table Tuba. Both plans available from Bill Fitzmaurice.

i really wish you lived closer crank, id love to come hear some cinema gear. im hoping to have full cinema setup one day with some 402 horns

Scrappy,

Buy those MWMs with the 402 horns from JWC. A couple of guys that have Jubilees were out at hope and put the 402 horn with the MWM and like it better than their own Jubilees, and it is a lot cheaper!!

My sister has my old quartets and Nakamichi Stereo Receiver. Your welcome to come listen to that if you want as well.

Rog

If you are wanting a sub for the KHorns, then a horn loaded sub is the way to go. I have a pair of KPT-684's and a pair of THT's and the THT's hands down sounded better with my horn loaded LaScalas. The 684's are great subs, but they are more a match for reflex speakers like KPT-904's and their ilk. If you want a HT sub, try the THT, if you want more musical go for the Table Tuba. Both plans available from Bill Fitzmaurice.

Mustang guy,

Like I stated in my post, he needs to answer the questions!

He stated he wanted a "Klipsch" sub, but we need to know if he is a do it yourselfer.

I was head face frame maker in a custom cabinet shop for 5 years, and worked a Laminate cabinet shop for 2.5 years. I have the skill, and the equipement but I am still not a do it yourselfer. If I was, I'd get off of my lazy butt and veneer all of my TSCMs.

Lets find out the answers to the questions before we send him after a Tuba, a Spud, or a Gotham....

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

Welcome Razz, First of all those khorns are no good. Let me take those off your hands, I'm leaving now, down the 401 and should be there soon. All kidding aside. The guys have lots of questions, but reading your first post, It sounds like your after a klipsch sub. If you have the room, i'd say KPT884. Delivered to your door on a well packed skid. I love my KPT684, something about those dual 18's, they move a lot of air, and with some eq'ing it digs down there as well, I think the KPT884 would dig down those few extra hertz. The best thing I've ever done was move away from integrated powered subs. I prefer having the amp separate to the sub.

My next recommendation would be a tuba. a Horn loaded sub to go with your horn loaded speakers. with a crown xti1000. I keep saying this, but im getting ready to build my Tuba, I bought the plans.

what's your budget?

Mustang guy,

Like I stated in my post, he needs to answer the questions!

He stated he wanted a "Klipsch" sub, but we need to know if he is a do it yourselfer.

I was head face frame maker in a custom cabinet shop for 5 years, and worked a Laminate cabinet shop for 2.5 years. I have the skill, and the equipement but I am still not a do it yourselfer. If I was, I'd get off of my lazy butt and veneer all of my TSCMs.

Lets find out the answers to the questions before we send him after a Tuba, a Spud, or a Gotham....

Roger

Gotcha.

I need to learn to veneer. I have tried it and I suck at it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

JTR Orbit Shifter if the budget suits. Horn loaded and upgrading shouldn't ever be a problem again.

Tuned at roughly 31Hz with a 9' folded horn design. 18" driver. Very efficient and powerful. Reminds me of the BFM T48 only bigger. It's definitely an animal pro sub. Not so sure the extra 2Hz bass extension to the Khorn's 33Hz bottom end is enough though.

Perhaps I have this wrong. Are there any specs other than what is listed at http://jtrspeakers.com/portable/orbit-shifter/. BTW, this thread is dead. It seems the original poster has forgotten about it...

Edited by mustang guy

Orbit shifter is rock solid down to 20 hz in room. Lots of JTR buddies. They say the orbit shifter is a monster. I've yet to hear one. One day though. Just had a guy move close with dual dts-10's. I'm excited. Never even heard a horn sub.

Dual Danley's! You gotta know that is a HT dream. Good info on the 20Hz thing. With a 9' horn, the 1/4 frequency is actually tuned to 31Hz. The horn length for tuning to 20HZ is about 14'. That is longer than the THT which is a hair shy of 13'..

Edited by mustang guy

• 2 weeks later...