What size screen?

Coytee

Was downstairs going over the room dimensions with the wifey. After hearing the kind of furniture she wants, it looks like we'll be sitting about 14' away from a screen .

We might not do a screen but, I've prewired power to the ceiling so if I put a screen in (AT if it matters) I'll have everything ready for it.

So the question is, what would be a good size at 14' viewing distance?

In my opinion as big as possible only limited by speaker and rack obstruction. If you use a 10' projection screen, you won't think it's too big. In the old days of low definition, too big of a screen could be grainy. Now days, 1080P is the standard with 4K on the horizon. With my 10' screen at 1080P, standing 5' away, it doesn't look too bad.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators

I'm 11' from 103" screen and I wish I had the width to do 120" -130". Keep I mind each projector has limitations on how large you can go due to lumens and distance from your screen.

Check out the Calculator Pro at www.projectorcentral.com

I'm 11' from 103" screen and I wish I had the width to do 120" -130". Keep I mind each projector has limitations on how large you can go due to lumens and distance from your screen.

Check out the Calculator Pro at www.projectorcentral.com

Good point about the lumen.

Funny thing about the width limit... I joke with my wife that most HT rooms have screens on the short wall and are already width limited almost be design. Mine has the screen on the long wall to accommodate Klipschorns. When I built the box that holds the screen slightly inset into the ceiling, I made it easy to widen it to 15 feet wide. I expect that someday I will have a 15-feet wide super-panoramic screen with a post-4K format. :lol:

I sit about 12' from our 134" screen and I wish I would have went 150"! When we convert the garage I am going 150"+. We might go all the way to 170". Go big as you can and you will never regret it.

Need a light canon for it, otherwise you might regret it. :unsure:

• Like 1

Front row (Giant Bean Bag) is 8ft from 130" 16:9 screen and it is perfect.

Second row theater seating is 12-13ft and is very immersive.

Third row is 16-17' and is great, but could definitely be bigger from that range.

I had a 100" before and it never felt big enough.

From 14' 130-150" range would give you that big screen feel without feeling like you are watching tennis.

My Epson 8350 does great in a completely light controlled room at 130" on a silver spandex screen.

Even with some low ambient light during football parties it looks great.

IMG_9041.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie
  • Like 1

I sit about 12' from our 134" screen and I wish I would have went 150"! When we convert the garage I am going 150"+. We might go all the way to 170". Go big as you can and you will never regret it.

Need a light canon for it, otherwise you might regret it. :unsure:

I am tempted to go the 2 projector route...