Oscillating Multi tool

T2K

I have a rigid cordless one, works well. I bought it back when rigid still had lifetime warranty on their batteries. The newer rigid uses the same battery pack as the 18v line which to me is a big deal for anyone that has other 18v rigid tools. Less batteries to keep up with. The rest of my tools are all dewalt 18vxrp. Too bad the dewalt oscillating tool is only available in the 20v max lineup or else I'd have one.

It's a gimmick tool, or so I thought before I got one. Now it's my go to tool more often than not. Don't see how I managed to get by without one. I have the Sonicrafter. I believe they came up with the idea and everyone copied them. I'm doing a bathroom remodel now and I've used it to cut concrete board, baseboards and sand.

I used a friends when I laid tile and wood floors. Made life a breeze, especially cutting the bottoms of door frames so the tile could fit under it. Theres no telling how much time that tool saved me.

I worked for a friend installing hardwood floors, and he used one for those tight spots where a edger/hand-sanding/scraper would not reach...it worked well...

Thanks for the comments. I don't have one and have never used or witnessed one being used. It seems like this tool would be invaluable in instances where no other tool would work with precision. Like some of those ya'll mentioned.

I need a tool that will make a plunge cut in formica, or at least cut formica cleanly, without chewing up the finish.

Keith

If your only cutting formica use a razor blade....we do it all the time. If its attached to a substrate the oscillating tool works well. Ryobi has a cheap one that does a good job for around $100 bucks. If your planning to use it in business you may want to look into the Fein tool,I believe they were first to offer it and it is very well built.

I have a couple of these. They can be very handy as mentioned. I used one to cut 4 door jambs one morning for hardwood flooring. Worked out pretty darn good. Not as good as a jamb saw but good enough just the same. There are times when this is the best tool for the job.