Sound bar recommendations

Youthman

• Moderators

Hi Youthman,

I will offer an additional option for your consideration. My daughter wanted/needed a small system for her apartment. I researched the small 5.1 systems and discovered the highly-rated, Klipsch-owned, Energy Take Five Classic 5.1 for sale at newegg.com for $349. A few days later, I found it on sale at newegg for $299 and bought a set.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269024

At the same time, Fry's Electronics had the Denon AVR-300 on sale for $199. Bought that, too.

After assembling the system, I was quite surprised at how good it sounded, so much so that I bought 4 more AVR-300 / Take Five Classic 5.1 sets for my kids and a guest room. My son came over to listen and he thought the RB-5's were playing. Nope, it's the little guys . . . . .

If you monitor the newegg site and the Fry's site, you will find that the receiver and speakers are on sale for those friendly prices from time to time. This combo would let your friend get started for a bit over $500 and permit upgrading as desired.

I almost bought the Take 5 set instead of Klipsch when I was first wanted a HT change a long time ago, ( right after pro-logic died). :o I read every review i could find, all good, found the one place to get them back then and was told if they ordered them I would have to buy them, hearing them first was out, well so was I. Found a little place that sold Klipsch at good prices and had a listen, got a Synergy set, never did get to hear the Take 5 set . For them to still be around they must be pretty good.

Edited by dtel

Jason,

Have you used the Promedia 2.1 system as a TV set up? For the price it does seem impressive. Any idea if it would be enough for a living room that is 13' x 18' ?

No i havent but it will work just as good for the TV as it would a computer.

It will be a good add on for your living room sound. Just plug in to your headphone jack or get an adapter for RCA connection if needed.

We have quintets with subs in the bedrooms but I just recently purchased an energy take 5 system with sub on close out at sears for $250 for everything. Won't be able to tell you how it sounds until after Christmas since I bought it as a gift for my mom.

• 1 month later...

I can only imagine the back lash this will receive! I know its not a soundbar but the Bose Cinemate systems sound very good and they arent very invasive. 2 speakers and a bass module.

I bought the Cinemate 1SR. And while it's an alright, better than decent sound bar, it is not at all worth the extra coins it costs over the competition. I ended up going through 2 of them, because the first one I purchased had a faulty 2nd. Input. The dealer (Bjorn's) exchanged it w/o a problem and the 2nd Input on the exchange unit works as it's suppose to.

IMHO thought, there is a significant design problem with the Cinemate 1SR. The problem was not apparent during the demo, because the sales rep. wanted to Oooooh and Aaaah me with the sound effects of the dvd he offered up for a demo run, and because I was too dumb to think about thaking my own video to demo.

The problem we noticed (at home) occurs when dialog is taking place between characters during action scenes, or when back ground sound affects are taking place. And while the Cinemate 1SR seems to do a good job at amplifying the sound effects and/or back ground sounds, it does so to the point that it interferes with any dialog that simultaneously takes place. These back ground sounds have become intrusive, and make listening/comprehending the dialog difficult, and I found myself constantly fiddling with the volume.... to low one minuet when trying to hear what they're saying, then too loud the next. I did try several times to set the unit up with the built-in configuration setup assistant, but I ended up giving the unit to the kids, and now they think they're even more special.

Edited by Gilbert