Re: The Eagles CD "Hell Freezes Over"

J.L.

Hello fellow forum members....

Hope everyone is doing fine....

I was listening the other day to the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" CD and noticed most of it sounded pretty decent (just my opinion). One thing did jump out at me though and that was any track that Glenn Frey sang, his vocals sounded awfully "harsh". By this I mean any time he sang a word with the letter "S" in it, it really was uncomfortable to listen to on my KG 5.5's. I did do the Crites upgrade on my speakers with the titanium tweets and have been happy with them. But in listening to this CD, I don't know if it's just the CD or my speakers?? All the other guys in the group sound fine when they sing, it's just Glenn Frey who sound's like he was using a bad microphone or something??

Anybody else ever listen to this CD and hear this issue??

The tracks Glenn Frey sings on would be track #3, #5, and #12. Wow, not a big CD for him!!!

Thanks for any input on this issue....

I have the DVD and I would say there is just a lot of SSSSS in his S's. Never bothered me but now that you mentioned it I will probably notice it every time!

I'm curious about the dynamic range of the CD vs. the DVD. Has anyone used the dynamic range meter on the CD?

Here are results from the DVD:

Left Right

Peak Value: -3.87 dB --- -3.55 dB
Avg RMS: -22.35 dB --- -22.45 dB
DR channel: 15.87 dB --- 16.47 dB

Official DR Value: DR16

Edited by muel

So it sounds like it's not my speakers, and is just a lousy mix or mastering or whatever caused this. I hope I haven't ruined the DVD for you Muel.... I myself don't know if I'll be listening much to the CD anymore, it is very annoying hearing Mr. Frey sing. I'm a gigantic Eagles fan and can't believe I just said that!!!!

Hello fellow forum members....

Hope everyone is doing fine....

I was listening the other day to the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" CD and noticed most of it sounded pretty decent (just my opinion). One thing did jump out at me though and that was any track that Glenn Frey sang, his vocals sounded awfully "harsh". By this I mean any time he sang a word with the letter "S" in it, it really was uncomfortable to listen to on my KG 5.5's. I did do the Crites upgrade on my speakers with the titanium tweets and have been happy with them. But in listening to this CD, I don't know if it's just the CD or my speakers?? All the other guys in the group sound fine when they sing, it's just Glenn Frey who sound's like he was using a bad microphone or something??

Anybody else ever listen to this CD and hear this issue??

The tracks Glenn Frey sings on would be track #3, #5, and #12. Wow, not a big CD for him!!!

Thanks for any input on this issue....

It's the Mary Hart syndrome:

• Like 1

Hehehehe..... I'm not sure I'm going through the same thing as Kramer did when he heard Mary Hart's voice, but maybe after a few more times listening to that CD I might!!!!!!!

That was a good one, Tasdom!!!! I've been a Seinfeld fan a long time!!!!

I've had that Eagles DVD for 13 years or so and have only listened to it 4 or 5 times. I don't give a lot of thought to my choices of what to play next. I never really thought about it but I have a lot of music that just doesn't make it into the playlist rotation very often. It isn't because I don't like the music... there is just something about it that either makes me cut it short or I keep going back to stuff that is more fun to hear.

Wow.... sounds like we have a few on here that are not Eagles fans!!!!.... hehehe.... I use to listen to them a lot, just kinda went by the way-side in the last 10 - 15 years... oh well.... Just like you said, muel, would rather listen to the fun stuff. Stuff that really makes the ole Klipsch speakers shine!!!! I have CD's that I haven't played in years. So doesn't make my playlist rotation either. My taste in music has really changed as I've gotten older, but one thing that hasn't changed is my constant quest for great sound. That will probably never end.... Hopefully PWK has made this task easier....

I really like the PSW quote that Eagle hater seti has in his post. I don't even try to explain my need for great sound anymore. If I do, by chance, just hearing myself trying to makes me realize how useless it is. It's like if you don't know, I can't explain it to you type thing.... exhausting.....