Cheap stereo preamp

SuBXeRo

Im looking for a cheap stereo preamp that has both analog and optical inputs. Cheap as in, cheap, not garbage. I was looking at the USP-2 but it doesnt have digital inputs and i dont want to have to buy a separate DAC.

The next question is budget. You may ask, what is cheap???? Yeah, i don't know. I would love to be no higher than $250 but i understand there are limitations. I have been scouring craigs and the net and I am not in any hurry to buy. I have my new-to-me outlaw 2200 monoblocks and I am planning a man-den (caves have doors, i dont have one) which will be linked to my computer and small TV setup which will eventually be connected up to a sonos interfacing network that i just learned about yesterday.

If you have suggestions above my range, I would entertain them and I would really like to know why you suggest it.

thanks!

ian

Ian,

I know this here is an integrated amp but I would not hesitate to use it as just a preamp. It does have a built in DAC, therefore it has digital inputs.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKA9050/ONKYO-A-9050-Integrated-Stereo-Amplifier/1.html

Later on you could use it as an integrated amp in another 2-channel rig.

Same goes for this Onkyo receiver. I have the Integra version DTM-40.4 and I just love it. Stereo and subwoofer preouts in zone 1 and stereo preouts in zone 2. I also played around with my Integra using it as just a preamp with my Acurus A250, and it performed wonderfully. Networking capabilities(Pandora, Spotify, local music files) and wireless with the additional USB wireless adapter.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTX8050/Onkyo-TX-8050-2-Channel-Network-Stereo-Receiver/1.html

with this

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKUWF1A/Onkyo-UWF-1-Wireless-USB-Network-Adapter-NEW/1.html

Around $200.00 shipped to your door.

Bill

Edited by willland

Im looking for a cheap stereo preamp that has both analog and optical inputs. Cheap as in, cheap, not garbage. I was looking at the USP-2 but it doesnt have digital inputs and i dont want to have to buy a separate DAC.

The next question is budget. You may ask, what is cheap???? Yeah, i don't know. I would love to be no higher than $250 but i understand there are limitations. I have been scouring craigs and the net and I am not in any hurry to buy. I have my new-to-me outlaw 2200 monoblocks and I am planning a man-den (caves have doors, i dont have one) which will be linked to my computer and small TV setup which will eventually be connected up to a sonos interfacing network that i just learned about yesterday.

If you have suggestions above my range, I would entertain them and I would really like to know why you suggest it.

thanks!

ian

I upgraded my AV receiver, so I have an extra Onkyo 706 for sale cheap. It can be used as a Pre-Pro since it has Pre-outs. It has phono input for a turntable, 2-Optical inputs, 2- co-ax inputs, can be used for 2.1, 5.1 7.1, 2.0, 5.0, or 7.0. It has 7 analog inputs for 7.1 with external DAC (I was using the Sabre DACs in my Oppo). It should do everything you want, including the use of 7, 100 W power amps. PM me if interested.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

After looking at all of the options, all of which were good here, i decided that since the setup is going to have a TV involved, i might as well cover my *** and go for a surround preamp. I think the UMC-200 would do well, has all of the inputs, easy tv compatibility and should be a quality piece. I have some stuff on craigslist which if it sells would allow me to expand my budget a bit.

I like options and sometimes i hate myself for it because it complicates things 10 fold haha.

Thanks for the input all!

I like options and sometimes i hate myself for it because it complicates things 10 fold haha.

Yeah, surround sound preamps aren't your best choice for music. Anytime you try to combine the two, there will be compromises for one or the other. You just have to get your priorities straight going in.

Shakey