The million dollar sub question

rocksnap

Not a newbie but been out of the game for a while. Just (thought) I finished piecing my HT system together. But...

My brand new, yet to be fired up SVS SB-13 Ultra vs home built... I was looking thru these sub forums and did see scrappydue's build of a couple SI 18"/inuke amped subs for about 3/4 the price of a SVS, of which he had dual SVS 13's prior to his build! Or there are many other home builds out there.

I would rather have sonic QUALITY over QUANTITY. That is, many sub's will rattle the house, but I am looking for fidelity, which the SVS reportedly does. There also is the possibility of a SECOND SVS in my future depending how satisfied I am with just the one.

Reading thru several of the other HT forums several of the reviewers actually added the SVS to their systems as they thought it was that good. To me that speaks volumes... One would think they would have the resources to build their own if a self built was that good... I know scrappydue bought his boxes pre-cut as a kit, which is the way I would go if I do change my mind.

Any input to those in the know would be greatly appreciated!

While I do believe you can get quality and quantity in the same box, look at your top priority and make the call. I love my SVS SB13 Plus(95% same as Ultra) for music and HT. I added it to my existing Revel B15 and Klipsch RSW10d and I am now totally satisfied. Two SB13 Ultras will add both quality and quality to your experience.

Pick Scrappy's brain some more if you may consider diy subs.

Bill

There's a lot of DIY options. The main advantage of DIY is price/performance. You can buy subs with excellent sound quality but typically pay more than if you build something yourself. Store bought can be better or worse than DIY but it's almost always more expensive.

If you are up for DIY, there are also horn subs like the tuba subs, and the F-20. Truly wonderful subs for music and HT.

The F-20 is a super easy build and goes a little lower than a THT. If you stand it up against a wall with the mouth along the wall, it has a relatively small footprint (20x30") for a horn. 4 of those would equal at least 8 18's and can be built for less than a kilobuck. I'm just sayin'.

For a Million Dollars, you could build 4,000 of them, but you would be really really busy for a long time. But you could entertain an entire metro area when your were done.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

Forgot to mention that if you build, or have Jason STR build you a Low Profile THT (Bill Fitzmaurice design) with a 12" driver, you can cut your footprint by another and still have a horn sub against a wall or corner. If you put it in a corner, you will extend the bass response lower because the corner becomes part of the horn. You will give up a little efficiency, but still blow away a Direct Radiator sub.

The SVS is a nice sub. A lot of people will not build a sub because they feel uncomfortable with their skill level. Quality can be higher in a DYI sub since the component can be picked out and may not be under the same restrints that a companies is when it come to engineered design/performance / price/ and profit that drive a product.

The horn sub sounds intriguing for sure. I will look into that a little more. Perhaps as a DYI second sub. Or would that clash with a new SVS SB-13 Ultra? Better to stick with matching components...

No clash, but you would soon figure out who the "Mac Daddy" is of the two.

A precut kit would be an easier option tho, if there is one from a supplier. But doing all the cutting is not out of the realm either... I have the know how, but having the drive is another thing... It's snowmobile season! If only we had snow... : - (

The horn sub sounds intriguing for sure. I will look into that a little more. Perhaps as a DYI second sub. Or would that clash with a new SVS SB-13 Ultra? Better to stick with matching components...

ive always read that it is a very bad idea to mix horn subs with direct radiating subs.

ive always read that it is a very bad idea to mix horn subs with direct radiating subs.

I think this has something to do with the delay of the horn length. My THT's measure about 10-15' farther away than they actually are when measuring with Audyssey. I always took that to mean that the driver cone is indeed 13' from the horn mouth. Somebody correct me or expand on this if I am wrong.

Ok, sticking with conventional subs. Horn subs are intriguing, and I'm not worry about the build, but from what I gather they are a bit more finicky on the tuning. And I haven't heard a horn (knowingly) sub since the mid 80's. I liked them then, but without hearing today's horns, I don't want to get into something like this blind. And from what I remember, horn subs were very powerful/mega headroom but at the sacrifice of fidelity. Now it has been a long while so don't go biting my head off. I could be, and probably am, out of touch with today's horns.

So that leaves the DYI conventional build or stick with the SVS, or two, purchase. I have at my disposal, if needed, a master wood craftsman. This guy can do damn near anything, and at $35 an hour is very reasonable for his talent. A pre-cut kit, I can handle. A need to cut box, he will handle.

So, a bird in hand - a known entity (and still yet to be powered up in my HT), SVS. Or, still searching the forums here and else ware for DYI vs comparisons. Would I be happy with a DYI or two for less $$$ than one SVS? Probably, but again the DYI is an unknown to a bigger extent. Going off to search... Thank you all for your valuable input.

Ok, sticking with conventional subs. Horn subs are intriguing, and I'm not worry about the build, but from what I gather they are a bit more finicky on the tuning. And I haven't heard a horn (knowingly) sub since the mid 80's. I liked them then, but without hearing today's horns, I don't want to get into something like this blind. And from what I remember, horn subs were very powerful/mega headroom but at the sacrifice of fidelity. Now it has been a long while so don't go biting my head off. I could be, and probably am, out of touch with today's horns.

So that leaves the DYI conventional build or stick with the SVS, or two, purchase. I have at my disposal, if needed, a master wood craftsman. This guy can do damn near anything, and at $35 an hour is very reasonable for his talent. A pre-cut kit, I can handle. A need to cut box, he will handle.

So, a bird in hand - a known entity (and still yet to be powered up in my HT), SVS. Or, still searching the forums here and else ware for DYI vs comparisons. Would I be happy with a DYI or two for less $$$ than one SVS? Probably, but again the DYI is an unknown to a bigger extent. Going off to search... Thank you all for your valuable input.

Horn loaded subs actually have better fidelity than reflex. This is a subject for a new thread, but you need to be informed that horn loaded subs give natural amplification and because they are quite large have less distortion. Reflex subs are small and need lots more power to get the same sound. This is inherently inferior. The trade off is size. Horn subs take up a LOT of space! If you had a reflex sub that was huge, it would dig deep and be more efficient as well. Just not as efficient.

Parts-express sells sub kits. Prices are pretty reasonable, and you can research feedback. I have never bought one, but I know there are people here who have and said they were good.

Edited by mustang guy