Yamaha: Negatory

Denon: Nope

Manley: Nada

conrad Johnson: zip

Audio Research: Zilch

Ohkyo: No

Nad: not even

I could go on and on.

Given the markups on even cheap cables you'd think at least one company whose a player in home audio would have their own cable line. At one time or another Sony's put their name on almost anything you can think of and even they don't make or sell cable.

Food for thought.

Edited by thebes

On the other hand... What major audio cable and speaker wire companies sell major audio components?

PS Audio does. I'm not sure if they do speaker cable, but they do some AC cables and power thingies with very high woo factor, so I throw them in with the wire hucksters. Their DACs are actually pretty cool, and their latest amp looks like it would be perfect for high sensitivity active horns, at least going by specs. They claim 130db S/N at one watt or something ridiculous.

McIntosh has a full line of cables...

I wonder if you can buy direct or if you have to visit one of their dealers?

Audio Classics will probably sell you some "used" ones ;) I don't think anything made by McIntosh can be purchased unless you actually visit a dealer but I'd wager that AC would probably be able to work it out somehow though...

For the few that I use, Blue jeans is just fine, double shielded and their connections the fittings are great.

Why is your neighbor pissed off?

The guy now goes out of his way not to talk to me, I figure its the music, could be his new wife, because a year or so back he came over for music and a beer, he's a youngin and is into Tool, so I gave him a dose @17 watts may have spoiled him.

Edited by minermark

For the few that I use, Blue jeans is just fine, double shielded and their connections the fittings are great.

Why is your neighbor pissed off?

The guy now goes out of his way not to talk to me, I figure its the music, could be his new wife, because a year or so back he came over for music and a beer, he's a youngin and is into Tool, so I gave him a dose @17 watts may have spoiled him.

Oh, I see. Loud music.

Excuse me, that would be .......Loud Quality Music.

McIntosh has a full line of cables...

Now here I figure I finally have a foolproof argument on this forum, complete with evidentiary proof, and then some wiesenheimer comes along and t reminds me that I completely forgot to look check out McIntosh.

Thanks a bunch. You are herewith banned from this topic...unless

Gee I wonder just what claims these folks are making for their cables. Here's what they are saying:

"​ McIntosh Speaker Cables contain two large conductor groups made from the finest of the fine pure copper. The two conductor sets are further contained in fire proof insulators, covered in an attractive black mesh jacket and terminated into gold plated, solid brass, spade connectors. McIntosh speaker cables will pass the full power of any McIntosh amplifiers with full fidelity. Speaker cables are available in 2 meter or 3 meter length. McIntosh speaker cables are engineered to highlight performance of our brand's speakers, amplifiers and source components."

Not too bad except about the part where the y claim they were "engineered to to highlight performance of our brand's speakers, amplifiers and source components".

So here's their own published specs which are the same for their speaker and audio cables:

Cable Specifications
Packed

Each

Lengths Available

Available in 1 Meter Increments

Conductor Configuration

Multiple Conductors and Gauges

Conductor Gauge and Material

9 AWG OFC

Insulation

Polyethyline Foam-High Voltage

Shielding

N/A

Outer Jacket

PVC UL CL2 Jacket with Black Nylon webbing

Termination Connector

Gold Plated Brass Spade

Outside Cable Dimension

15.8mm

Directional Arrow to Sync Device

Yes

Unique Features

Gold Plated Brass Breakout Fittings

Packed in Cloth Bag and Box

Yes

Limited Use Warranty

Yes

Yes folks,, it would appear that they are normally wrapped and terminated 9 gauge wire. Yes 9 gauge instead of the 16 or 14 gauge us poor folks normally use. Still, though, in the land of cable hype these seem to be an honest product from an honest, high dollar company.

So my good, man. All is forgiven you can stay as long as you like.

Given the markups on even cheap cables you'd think at least one company whose a player in home audio would have their own cable line. At one time or another Sony's put their name on almost anything you can think of and even they don't make or sell cable.

These companies also don't make phono cartridges.

Now, now Mark. Anybody who sells a turntable will offer a cart, and mot come with pre-installed cable. No they do not usually make the cart or cables, but at the very least they will have make sure the cart meets compliance and is matched spec wise to their arm. etc.

I know of no turntable company that doesn't offer a cart or two to go with their offerings. But not a single (except for McIntosh) (drat!) company that makes components even pretends they care enough about wire in the signal path to address the issue from their own engineering perspective. Nope, not neither to enhance the sound, or grab a few extra bucks fro their customers. Quite telling I think.

Hey! How'd you sneak into this thread anyways!