? for all builders & Jub owners

Cornman

Knowing the characteristics of the Jubilees & how most of us bi amp them, could any improvement be made to existing amps, or a new specific build for this application to power the K402 horn, & would this amp be dependent on passive or active xover? Builders what do you recommend & current 402 owners what are you powering them with & is your's passive or active?

Cornman

• Like 1

Please don't forget us Eliptrac 400 users, Its not a K402 but its awfully good. What is lacks in coverage it makes up for in very even response. I am using mine with the Faital HF 200 that I mistakenly ordered 16 ohm. But it hasn't made any difference other than probably making them even more sensitive,

My wish has always been to have a dead quiet amplifier. Ampsandsound.com Stereo 15 delivered that.

I'd be interested in seeing curves of the DH-1A on a K402. I had those and JBL2446J's at the same time, but I needed the 16 ohms of the JBL to level match my other horns, since the DH1A's are only 6 ohms. The DH1A's were cheaper on the used market AND they also curved a bit better, but I had to sell them. When I got the 402's I used the JBL drivers to see what the horns would do vs. the JBL 2360. The K402's won, so I would bet they are even better with the EV DH1A's.

Also, Roy Delgado, Klipsch's chief engineer for Pro division in Hope took my DH1A into the chamber in Indy and curved it. He said it was a very good driver.

Apparently you agree as well. LOL.

Brad glad to hear the Ampsound gear has worked well for you. It is nice to have a amp with a quiet back ground, the Sophias have a hiss out to about 2ft. Whats the sensitivity of that driver & horn combo, & whats the cost difference in the DH1a & the Tad 4002?

Whatever55 you have some serious headroom there with those Mc252. :D I tried the Mc 275... neighbors love us...

• Moderators
current 402 owners what are you powering them with & is your's passive or active?

active, DAC to DX-38, 2x Crown D-75, 402/K69, not jubes but MWM.......... About as cheap as this can be pulled off

Very quiet at the speakers no sound, if anything one of the amps itself has a little buzz.

Wouldn't mind trying different drivers but not going to spend the money, especially for the big boys, not going to happen .

Edited by dtel

402 active powered by Juicy Music pCats !

But of course Davis I thought you would hang on to those Pcats. As you know I tried to buy a pair, just to compare,-,just to know- to expand my understanding of what is possible & correlate that to what my personnel sound quality tastes are.

When I first started down this Jub road I was a bit surprised to hear some owners say the quality of the K402 horn was so goood they found it less relevant what amps they used.. now I can understand that thought, but on the flip side,, I find the K402 sooo oo revealing its the same as with all the fine Klipsch speakers- you get out what you put in , if its amplified cold that's what you hear, if its warm & life like going in, that's whats revealed.

Active currently using EV DC-One also have EV DX38

I currently alternate between the following amplifiers.

Jub LF: Cary CAD 2A3i integrated push/pull amplifier (I modified for independent bias of 2A3 and choke

in PWR Supply was added.)

First Watt F3 Single Ended PowerJfet solid state amplifier.

K402 with TAD TD4002: Cary CAD 2A3 SE single ended 2A3 tube amplifier (I modified to accept either

standard 2A3 or modern higher output 2A3 types).

Audio Electronic Supply SE-1 single ended tube amplifier (I modified for

independent bias of output tubes and PWR Supply

modifed with HexFred Rectifiers and

choke in PWR Supply added and 2A3 tube option).

miketn

Edited by mikebse2a3

Active currently using EV DC-One also have EV DX38

I currently alternate between the following amplifiers.

Jub LF: Cary CAD 2A3i integrated push/pull amplifier (I modified for independent bias of 2A3 and choke in PWR Supply was

added.)

K402 with TAD TD4002: Cary CAD 2A3 SE single ended 2A3 tube amplifier (I modified to accept either standard 2A3 or

modern higher output 2A3 tubes).

Audio Electronic Supply SE-1 single ended tube amplifier (I modified for independent bias of

output tubes and PWR Supply modifed with HexFred Rectifiers and

choke in PWR Supply added and 2A3 tube option used).

miketn

What do you think of the EV DC-One compared to the EV DX38 ? Can the settings for the DX38 be transferred by software to the DC-One ?

Brad glad to hear the Ampsound gear has worked well for you. It is nice to have a amp with a quiet back ground, the Sophias have a hiss out to about 2ft. Whats the sensitivity of that driver & horn combo, & whats the cost difference in the DH1a & the Tad 4002?

Whatever55 you have some serious headroom there with those Mc252. :D I tried the Mc 275... neighbors love us...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CFMQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fullcompass.com%2Fcommon%2Ffiles%2F17291-dh1a.pdf&ei=5Wz_UqniONPI0AGDj4DoBA&usg=AFQjCNEXBn9acgUaEIXSB4al2v8xmuePUw&sig2=btzsjYxQmzdadBpUzhzq8g&bvm=bv.61535280,d.dmQ

:D :D :D I love the headroom. It really does not seem like over kill.

The drivers are used at around $100 and up.

What do you think of the EV DC-One compared to the EV DX38 ? Can the settings for the DX38 be transferred by software to the DC-One ?

I'm not sure if files can be shared between the units if that's what you are asking. I always program the units manually myself.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/141092-ev-dx38-vs-ev-dc-one-test-comparison/?hl=%2Bev+%2Bdc-one+%2Bvs+%2Bev+%2Bdx38

The EV DC-One also has more PEQ settings available which is very important to me because I use my Cello Palette simulation program for less than ideal recordings. High Resolution systems are always very revealing of less than ideal recordings but with well designed tone controls (such as the Cello Palette and some McIntosh Preamps have) many recordings can be brought into a much more listenable/realistic sound.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/142681-cello-palette-ev-dc-one-simulation-program-settings/?hl=%2Bcello+%2Bpalette+-ev

miketn

Knowing the characteristics of the Jubilees & how most of us bi amp them, could any improvement be made to existing amps, or a new specific build for this application to power the K402 horn, & would this amp be dependent on passive or active xover? Builders what do you recommend & current 402 owners what are you powering them with & is your's passive or active?

Cornman

It is totally compression driver dependent. Since the 402 is also used with an 8" paper woofer with a small back chamber as a MidBass horn for high power theater use (ask Mark 1101) it has a very low rolloff characteristic, which in my case I take full advantage of.

So, I use the Klipsch manufactured K-1133 driver designed for 3-way and it actually responds below 200 Hz. (although you would never dare cross it that low). In the K-402, it rolls at 18 db/octave below about 300 Hz., so I use a single capacitor value of 66 uF as a first order highpass filter. Combined, I get a 4th order characteristic folloff. IOW, a 3rd order ACOUSTIC rolloff added to a 1 st order electrical rolloff. The tweeter gets the same treatment at 5Khz., since top end of the K402/K1133 rolls off at 5K hz. 1st order. My tweeters respond down to 1 Khz. so I just use one capacitor on those also.

Basically I have taken a "systems approach" to this 3-way, combining PASSIVE electric, Passive Acoustic, and ACTIVE electric for the maximum synergy in the simplest fashion.

The woofer section uses a 4th order ACTIVE rolloff, so I avoid the use of inductors completely in my system.

sorry for the delayed response. I have been traveling. With the 16 ohm driver I would guess more than 110 possibly as high as 115. Don't know anything about the others.

Thanks guys for sharing what your using & your experiences with these magic K402's.

Mike & Claude, I envy guys like you who can customize your amps to build the sound you want, that must be very satisfying. I can do that with a combustion engine, but not electronics.

Brad if your amps are dead quiet with that high sensitivity speaker, thats a good start on a great amp. Thats a great price alternative on those EV drivers, looking forward to hearing some.

I was surprised to see some of you using tube amps on the bass bins, I have the gear, will have to give that a spin. Just always assumed SS would be best on the bass.

I was ready to buy the Jubs unheard, but Wardsweb invited me down for a listen. If you have had the pleasure of knowing Ward, you know what a great collection of custom systems he has. I was surprised- to see he was using a little Tri-path amp on the K402's-- go figure-- :rolleyes:

Mike & Claude, I envy guys like you who can customize your amps to build the sound you want, that must be very satisfying. I can do that with a combustion engine, but not electronics.

Sorry to laugh about your "customize" comment, but my mids and tweets us a single cap value in the right place and are driven by my not quite low end Onkyo AV Receiver amplifiers directly, not via pre outs which is only used by the sub.

What is even funnier is, in order to get the voltage gain up high enough, the AVR power amp section (speaker connectors) also drives the front end of my Behringer DCX (a heretic move I know), as well as the passsive section for the horns.

Balanced inputs require higher voltage drive for less noise and to keep the average levels up there to use the "high bits." So I'm actually going through 2 power amps with a digital Active Xover in between. LOL.........................but it works, since our ears are far less sensitive to bass than they are to midrange.

The output of the Behringer goes to 2 sections of a 6 stereo amp B&K, left channel only, so I can control the voltage gain via level controls to balance the Bass relative to mid/treble intensity while maintaining full digital resolution of the high bits. The amp was purchased used on Ebay for when I go full active with Mini DSPs......very soon.

You call it "custom," I call it "cheap kludge." But it works.

Mike's amplifiers are truly custom, so I'm not even in the same league there.

Edited by ClaudeJ1