Thread CRAPPING Honey Pot

Thaddeus Smith

But, I must ask, since it is an already open topic since the minders spelled it out early. 

What exactly is the fear of intelligence? And the obvious follow up, why must everything be dumbed down to 0 in order to be considered appropriate? 

I have this really nagging feeling that you are going to tell us anyway, whether we like it or not.

But, I must ask, since it is an already open topic since the minders spelled it out early. 

What exactly is the fear of intelligence? And the obvious follow up, why must everything be dumbed down to 0 in order to be considered appropriate? 

Many people have an instinctive reaction of fear for what they do not understand.  Dumbing down in a social situation creates a feeling of general belonging to a community which promotes "getting along" or you may prefer "group think" and is more appropriate in the community setting than a star chamber atmosphere which leads to confrontation and resentment.  Most extended families attempt to exhibit similar behavior at holiday gatherings and funerals.  Of course the attempts often fail.

There, beat him to it jimbo.

Edited by oldtimer
  • Like 2

Many people have an instinctive reaction of fear for what they do not understand.  Dumbing down in a social situation creates a feeling of general belonging to a community which promotes "getting along" or you may prefer "group think" and is more appropriate in the community setting than a star chamber atmosphere which leads to confrontation and resentment.  Most extended families attempt to exhibit similar behavior at holiday gatherings and funerals.  Of course the attempts often fail.

There, beat him to it jimbo.

What a relief.

• Like 1

As much as I hate to temporarily leave this remarkably intelligent conversation, as an old geezer I must go and take my grandchildren on their weekly frozen yogurt treat.  Along the way, I will be sure to listen to some drug and alcohol fueled music to harken back to my better days of dumbness.

• Like 1

1. POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IN REVERSE

2. FAUX INDIGNATION

Guess where these two ideas originate from? Well ok, I might as well let the cat out of the bean bag for you.....TELEVISION!

PC in Reverse is just a fascinating sociological phenomenon. It works like this. For years the common man felt like an outsider as intellectuals foisted political correctness on them. Resentment built up to fantastic proportions. Then a smart media man saw an opportunity to give this crowd a steady diet of massively dumbed-down info-tainment designed for the rest of us. No haughty university professor talk, no teacher talk, no "intelligentsia" speaking in arcane terms of inclusiveness and all that. Nice, simple talk from a 500 word vocabulary. Well, it was a WILDLY successful thing to do and billions were made by special networks designed to deliver this stuff to the everyman. 

Well, as you might imagine.....time goes by....and everyman decided that EVERYONE must talk like this! Every one must use the 500 word vocabulary, and every idea must represent POPULISM. No elite talk must be allowed! In subject or intent! And that's the reverse PC business. They turned the tables! We all must sound like some bearded duck hunter in the woods 'splainin' stuff like kuntry folk! Anything else, is now POLITICALLY INCORRECT!

Faux indignation is the brother of reverse PC. it's the outrage expressed when one violates any reverse PC principle.