value of AK-3's w/auricaps, barrier strip

tblake10

Looking for some help on what the market value for these may be. These came extra with the khorns I bought from a forum member (fenderbender) a couple of years a ago. The khorns came with ALK ESN's and they are not going anywhere so was thinking these may as well be put to use. The auricaps and non-stock barrier strips (for ease of installation) were added by forum member Mark1101 as I understand it. I see Bob Crites gets $365 for his new AK-3's. I understand the auricaps are fairly expensive. Any help appreciated.

post-28449-0-76590000-1392853272_thumb.j

post-28449-0-97150000-1392853280_thumb.j

No,I got this, but I just saw it.

Those are not the current XO versions of the Auricap, and they went for quite a bit less. I'm thinking $12 per 2uF and about $23 for each 13uF. It looks like he paralleled a 12 and a 1 to get the 13. I'm probably remembering my OEM pricing.

I think $150.00 is fair, and don't forget, you only have half the network there. Bob's versions have the entire network built on a single board using all new parts.

Edited by DeanG

Wow......a blast from the past. My pretty messy attempt at upgrading the stock tweeter/squawker network. If I recall properly those had all the driver leads soldered to the networks and either no barrier strips or minimized ones. I rewired them, added full barrier strip connections for teh drivers and added nice Auricaps. As Dean mentioned the woofer network is missing........as it's in the bass bin.

What I found with these as I have with every Klipsch network I tried to introduce expensive components to improve the sound..........it doesn't work. I remember those did not sound very good to me at all and that's why I built the really nice ALK ESNs mentioned.

I gave those networks to the purchaser for free along with the Khorns and VRDs I never should have sold. That was a great sounding pair of Khorns, I definitely remember that. But it wan't until I added the ESNs that they got that way.

I'd say what you have there in those pictures is worth "parts"..........as they are not a very good sounding network at all. I am sorry, but that's the truth. Since you mentioned my name and someone's getting those.........I had to chime in. I didn't want to see anyone end up disappointed.

• Like 1

are you using es400 LF sections as well as esXX00 HF sections? if you are using ES LF networks does that mean the other half of the AK-3 crossover is still inside your khorns and just disconnected? if so, might want to remove them and include them in the sale offering.

so the vintage monster 300 conductor oxegen free wires are lost...cold solders and all.

are you using es400 LF sections as well as esXX00 HF sections? if you are using ES LF networks does that mean the other half of the AK-3 crossover is still inside your khorns and just disconnected? if so, might want to remove them and include them in the sale offering.

so the vintage monster 300 conductor oxegen free wires are lost...cold solders and all.

Sorry about the intrusion Tim. Whats up with that massive wire on the stock networks. I have some that on old stock AK-2's that looks like its green now

Wow......a blast from the past. My pretty messy attempt at upgrading the stock tweeter/squawker network. If I recall properly those had all the driver leads soldered to the networks and either no barrier strips or minimized ones. I rewired them, added full barrier strip connections for teh drivers and added nice Auricaps. As Dean mentioned the woofer network is missing........as it's in the bass bin.

What I found with these as I have with every Klipsch network I tried to introduce expensive components to improve the sound..........it doesn't work. I remember those did not sound very good to me at all and that's why I built the really nice ALK ESNs mentioned.

I gave those networks to the purchaser for free along with the Khorns and VRDs I never should have sold. That was a great sounding pair of Khorns, I definitely remember that. But it wan't until I added the ESNs that they got that way.

I'd say what you have there in those pictures is worth "parts"..........as they are not a very good sounding network at all. I am sorry, but that's the truth. Since you mentioned my name and someone's getting those.........I had to chime in. I didn't want to see anyone end up disappointed.

FIRST CLASS MOVE on your part (not that the Tim did anything wrong) This is why i love this place :D

Edited by joessportster