JBL 2480 midrange driver

oscarsear

Just an FYI......... Earlier today I visited the Jammin Jersey website checking on other items and took the time to peruse their vintage JBL offerings. I use the JBL 2482 midrange driver on a pair of Dave Hoovers Eliptrac 400 horns. Long ago when I bought these drivers I was advised to look for the ultra rare JBL 2480 drivers. The 2480 was a bridge driver between the 375 and the 2482 modrange and many feel is superior in its own right. I have never once seen a pair of 2480's drivers for sale............. and Jammin Jersey has a pair available. They are exceedingly rare. You will not even find these on the JBL vintage product roster. The 2480 was specified to me by Dr Bruce Edgar for the Khorn (I have Khorns). I have 3 of the JBL 2482's and do not need more product. If you're interested check these out. They're not cheap and they're monstrously huge and heavy. But you'll likely not ever see a pair of these again.

• Like 1

Just an FYI......... Earlier today I visited the Jammin Jersey website checking on other items and took the time to peruse their vintage JBL offerings. I use the JBL 2482 midrange driver on a pair of Dave Hoovers Eliptrac 400 horns. Long ago when I bought these drivers I was advised to look for the ultra rare JBL 2480 drivers. The 2480 was a bridge driver between the 375 and the 2482 modrange and many feel is superior in its own right. I have never once seen a pair of 2480's drivers for sale............. and Jammin Jersey has a pair available. They are exceedingly rare. You will not even find these on the JBL vintage product roster. The 2480 was specified to me by Dr Bruce Edgar for the Khorn (I have Khorns). I have 3 of the JBL 2482's and do not need more product. If you're interested check these out. They're not cheap and they're monstrously huge and heavy. But you'll likely not ever see a pair of these again.

" They're not cheap and they're monstrously huge and heavy " reminds me of the second wife!

JBL 2480s you say eh? I will look into this.

The Altec 290 measures smoother than the JBL 2482, and goes out to 7Khz vs 5Khz for the JBL.

The 2482 does have the advantage of being able to accept a metal diaphragm when you re-drill the dowel-pin locating holes.

Does the 290 go as low as the 2482?

Excellent so now I have to options.

I am looking for drivers that do 300hz to 4khz-5khz somewhere around there. So far 290 and 2482. The 2482 is my preference so far. Any others that should be on the list. I quit looking for the emilar 600 that sucker is rare.

The Community M200 sounds better than the BMS (I own both).

The Avantgarde Trio uses a custom version of the M200, with a Beyma CP380M for the tweeter.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/highend2013/pics_3/avantgarde.jpg

The M200 must be crossed at 4Khz on the top side.

I used to sell the M200 to people with JBL 24xx 2" drivers and offer a money back deal. People always sold their JBL drivers, I never had anyone bail on the M200's.

Edited by djk

The Community M200 sounds better than the BMS (I own both).

The Avantgarde Trio uses a custom version of the M200, with a Beyma CP380M for the tweeter.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/highend2013/pics_3/avantgarde.jpg

The M200 must be crossed at 4Khz on the top side.

I used to sell the M200 to people with JBL 24xx 2" drivers and offer a money back deal. People always sold their JBL drivers, I never had anyone bail on the M200's.

I was just quoted a price of 316 per driver on the M200. You wouldn't by any chance happen to have a curve of a m200 on something like 150hz or 200hz horn?

To use it on a 150hz or 200hz horn you will probably want to drill the back plate and add a small chamber (similar to a K55M).

Tape the gap up real well to keep the ferrofluid and gap clean.

There are some BIG 400hz horns with M200 on them at eBay for $200 for the combo pair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Community-M200-Driver-w-Horn-Outdoor-PA-/190548360327?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speaker_Drivers_Horns&hash=item2c5d913c87#ht_259wt_1120

To use it on a 150hz or 200hz horn you will probably want to drill the back plate and add a small chamber (similar to a K55M).

Tape the gap up real well to keep the ferrofluid and gap clean.

There are some BIG 400hz horns with M200 on them at eBay for $200 for the combo pair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Community-M200-Driver-w-Horn-Outdoor-PA-/190548360327?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speaker_Drivers_Horns&hash=item2c5d913c87#ht_259wt_1120

I have my eye on two big tractrix horns but to roll off around 350hz wouldn't I want a 150hz-200hz horn?

That is a big driver.... Jeepers.

Just found the M4....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMMUNITY-M4-WORLDS-LARGEST-COMPRESSION-DRIVER-CLEAN-200-4KHz-ATUBE-540-/251395434115?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speaker_Drivers_Horns&hash=item3a8855e683

YOWZER!

Edited by seti

The M200 is small, the photo shows a weather cover that is used with a 70V tranformer for outdoor use.

The 37lb M4 is a real beast, and can do 150hz on the appropriate horn.

That is just crazy. This is the first M4 I have seen. 4 inch and almost 40lbs!!!!!

How does this crazy thing sound?

I've only used the M4 on the smaller horns, the 150hz horn is kind of large.

They sound great as a dedicated midrange device, it's what they were designed for. We have a sound contractor in town that has four on a co2 powered lift tower for voice use (no woofers), they are very good at a great distance as well.