? What is the SIMPLEST CPU config for music playback

joessportster

If you plan on downloading more stuff maybe its best to get a bigger drive so you don't run out of space. Hard drives are not expensive until it crashes and you lose all your valuables.

If you mirror your drives it would be much safer.

I have all my current files backed up now on a 1tb external, I keep it tucked away so it doesnt get dropped etc..., I also plan to get another backup so i can have 3 file locations just incase

What exactly is a mirror drive ?? I assume it is an exact copy of the main drive, Including OS etc...Correct ??

My concern is loosing pics and music, I dont have to have a copy of the operating system do I in order to use my external drive and restore music or pics on another cpu ??

If you plan on downloading more stuff maybe its best to get a bigger drive so you don't run out of space. Hard drives are not expensive until it crashes and you lose all your valuables.

If you mirror your drives it would be much safer.

I have all my current files backed up now on a 1tb external, I keep it tucked away so it doesnt get dropped etc..., I also plan to get another backup so i can have 3 file locations just incase

What exactly is a mirror drive ?? I assume it is an exact copy of the main drive, Including OS etc...Correct ??

My concern is loosing pics and music, I dont have to have a copy of the operating system do I in order to use my external drive and restore music or pics on another cpu ??

Mirror copy is another copy of your hard drive implemented through RAID software or hardware.

Raid 1 or 5 is most popular but there are other options as well.

Use google for more information, theres too much information to list here.

Thread

Cool little device but looks like it uses only SD cards for storage

Title:

What is the SIMPLEST CPU config for music playback

The best method is to separate your noisy disks from the playback device, ergo a NAS. Build in redundancy and flexibility because you separate the storage from the player .. you can swap players in and out all day long without having to consider your internal storage needs.

Thread

Title:

The best method is to separate your noisy disks from the playback device, ergo a NAS. Build in redundancy and flexibility because you separate the storage from the player .. you can swap players in and out all day long without having to consider your internal storage needs.

What is a NAS ??? I am barely computer literate

Thread

Title:

Here's some high level reading..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage

http://lime-technology.com/

http://www.synology.com/en-us/support/nas_selector

Honestly, I wouldn't even attempt to build a PC based system until you've gotten familiar with some basic technology concepts and the commonly selected software options for Hi Res audio playback. You'll end up just pissing away money and getting frustrated.

I don't use the Rasberry but I know others use it for streaming 1080p videos to their NAS. I use a i3NUC to stream mine from the NAS with OpenELEC/XBMC for the media player software on one of my NUCs and Windows 7 with Windows Media Center and JRiver for the software on that one..

Thread

Title:

Here's some high level reading..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage

http://lime-technology.com/

http://www.synology.com/en-us/support/nas_selector

Honestly, I wouldn't even attempt to build a PC based system until you've gotten familiar with some basic technology concepts and the commonly selected software options for Hi Res audio playback. You'll end up just pissing away money and getting frustrated.

I don't think i was clear enough with my intentions, I will try to lay it out better

Current set up, sony vaio 650 gig hard drive with under 100 gigs avail. All music is ripped CD at loss less and a few MP3 at 256 or less. this is connected to my Schiit Bifrost Uber DAC via usb2, this is then connected to my ampsandsound EL84 amp, Headphones plugged into the amp

Files are played via windows media player, I have tried alot of the so called better players (Jriver, foobar,media monkey) and to be honest i hated them all, they are overly complicated, hard to navigate, and i really hate the way they store music. In short i could not hear any better resolution from any of them and i have no need for all the excess features. They are just not worth the aggravation FOR ME !!!!

What i want to do Is set up exactly what i have now except substitute the simple tower / server for my laptop

I have absolutely 0 desire to pick what I hear now apart in an endless attempt to improve my sound, (been there done that) I am very happy with what i hear, it has detail to spare, tonal balance top to bottom, highs are sweet as can be with mids fleshed out as good as i have ever heard and bass that is deep and impactful, The only aspect of my listening that lacks is soundstage and that is caused by headphones

soundcard is bypassed by my DAC, so all i want is more storage in a more reliable / robust package IE...desktop, which i will manually backup on 2 separate external drives. I am sure there are tons of better ways to do this, I like the apple tv suggestion, I just have to look at whats involved with swapping the drive, Looks pretty straight forward except having to copy the drive for the operating system

Just add a hard drive to your new computer and transfer your files from your old system to the new one and make things easy.

You wont need to reinstall windows if the computer hard drive is intact & working. Just plug in your new drive and enjoy the extra space you created.

or just keep your laptop as-is, buy/build a NAS to store your music and redirect your library to that. then all you are changing is your music location and not having to mess with setting up a new computer (or adding a monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc to your stereo setup). many many ways to skin this cat..

• Like 2

Take a look at reviews on amazon, has more bad 365 at 1 star than it has good 340 at 5 stars, that's like 50% favorable, I tend to stay away from devices with these type ratings, I do appreciate the advice link and its a good idea, just looks like has too maany problems for me Im glad you got a good one.

Ouch, lol. I had no Ideal people were having problems with it. I picked mine up from BB. Thanks for the comments. :)

I try to use several websites and read revues, check stats etc... before I buy anything electronic

My temporary solution for this project was an internal hard drive, with an external case, so i can build my oun external basically and when money and space allow i can use the hard drive over agaain

The hard drive I ordered is the Western Digital 2tb red sata III, 3.5" It is optimized for use in NAS so when i get settled I can set up NAS and hopefully have a tried and true hard drive

next is to find a deal on a couple externals with good reviews to set up as redundant mirrors, so i have 3 minimum copies of my files at all times

Heres a link to the drive

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JJLZ7G/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by joessportster

The hard drive I ordered is the Western Digital 2tb red sata III, 3.5" It is optimized for use in NAS so when i get settled I can set up NAS and hopefully have a tried and true hard drive

next is to find a deal on a couple externals with good reviews to set up as redundant mirrors, so i have 3 minimum copies of my files at all times

I know nothing about this stuff so I should stay out of it, but if I am close maybe Thaddeus can explain or someone else. But if you are going to build your own hard drive couldn't you have a proprietary(<-that might not be the right word I want to use) drive let say 3-4 tb, then just add 2-3 tb external drives as needed, think there is some sort of Raid that you can use to mirror what is on the smaller drives in the event that one crashes will mirror them on the proprietary(<-again may not be the right word) drive for back up.

I have only read bits and pieces of this thread so I don't understand your reason for the 2 extra external hard drives.

If I am way off just yell at me to go away,

I know nothing about this stuff so I should stay out of it, but if I am close maybe Thaddeus can explain or someone else. But if you are going to build your own hard drive couldn't you have a proprietary(<-that might not be the right word I want to use) drive let say 3-4 tb, then just add 2-3 tb external drives as needed, think there is some sort of Raid that you can use to mirror what is on the smaller drives in the event that one crashes will mirror them on the proprietary(<-again may not be the right word) drive for back up.

I have only read bits and pieces of this thread so I don't understand your reason for the 2 extra external hard drives.

If I am way off just yell at me to go away,

You can mirror a drive but you would need to re-install windows witch is not a huge deal.

The extra hard drives are for increasing storage capacity.

RAID is a good option but not needed, i like RAID 5 myself but you need at least 3 drives.

Im using a 3rd drive for redundancy ?? Is it overkill, That depends. When you look up the reviews on almost any hard drive today you will find between 10 and 50% bad reviews, Thats a pretty big failure rate IMHO and we have some pictures that can never be replaced, as well as something like 1500 albums ripped. I certainly don't want to have to buy all those again

The reason I chose 2tb, is again reviews it seems if you go to 3 or higher tb you can run into issues with compatibility, also they seem to have a higher failure rate, And I doubt i will ever fill a 2tb drive with music and pictures being the only things on it

I keep one copy on my computer, another on the MyBook and the third is the cloud. Having music in the clound is reassuring in case of HD failure. I had HD failure 10 years ago. It took the tech a lot of time recovering thing which wass not 100%.

Edited by derrickdj1