? What is the SIMPLEST CPU config for music playback

joessportster

The hard drive I ordered is the Western Digital 2tb red sata III, 3.5" It is optimized for use in NAS so when i get settled I can set up NAS and hopefully have a tried and true hard drive

next is to find a deal on a couple externals with good reviews to set up as redundant mirrors, so i have 3 minimum copies of my files at all times

I know nothing about this stuff so I should stay out of it, but if I am close maybe Thaddeus can explain or someone else. But if you are going to build your own hard drive couldn't you have a proprietary(<-that might not be the right word I want to use) drive let say 3-4 tb, then just add 2-3 tb external drives as needed, think there is some sort of Raid that you can use to mirror what is on the smaller drives in the event that one crashes will mirror them on the proprietary(<-again may not be the right word) drive for back up.

I have only read bits and pieces of this thread so I don't understand your reason for the 2 extra external hard drives.

If I am way off just yell at me to go away,

You can mirror a drive but you would need to re-install windows witch is not a huge deal.

The extra hard drives are for increasing storage capacity.

RAID is a good option but not needed, i like RAID 5 myself but you need at least 3 drives.

I use UnRaid... I like the fact that I can use any HDD I have laying around to build a system, and the only requirement is that the Parity drive must be at least as big as the largest drive you have in the setup.

Parity drive that is the word I was looking for. If Joe or anyone for that matter went with only 2 tb hard drives they would be fine. 8 bay server one bay for a 2 tb parity drive then seven 2 tb hard drives that's 14 tbs of space unless you are adding movies in hd that is a lot of space to have. That way the cost, and failure rate would be lower.

Just an idea, back to Joes question for a pc for simple music storage.

Joe how much do you want to spend. I know of some good guides that might help.

I stand to be corrected . . . but.

It seems to me that the digital to analog conversion is being done by the D/A converter in the sound card. That is where quality is determined. The process is not being done by the computer's processor or software.

There is, I think, a mistaken notion that maybe sound quality would be bettered if the overall computer's cpu and software are optimized, and stripped down, for processing the audio signal. However, I think all that stuff is being accomplished on the sound card pretty much alone.

WMcD

I stand to be corrected . . . but.

It seems to me that the digital to analog conversion is being done by the D/A converter in the sound card. That is where quality is determined. The process is not being done by the computer's processor or software.

There is, I think, a mistaken notion that maybe sound quality would be bettered if the overall computer's cpu and software are optimized, and stripped down, for processing the audio signal. However, I think all that stuff is being accomplished on the sound card pretty much alone.

WMcD

sorry but you are wrong, My dac connected via usb BYPASSES the sound card, dac gets the raw digital signal and converts it to analog for playback,

your contention that the soundcard determines the quality of playback would be correct if not for my external dac

as far as my desire to delete all unneeded data on the computer that had nothing to do with sound quality, it has to do with space on the drive, why clutter up a drive with a bunch of unused data, when that space could house more music files ??

Parity drive that is the word I was looking for. If Joe or anyone for that matter went with only 2 tb hard drives they would be fine. 8 bay server one bay for a 2 tb parity drive then seven 2 tb hard drives that's 14 tbs of space unless you are adding movies in hd that is a lot of space to have. That way the cost, and failure rate would be lower.

Just an idea, back to Joes question for a pc for simple music storage.

Joe how much do you want to spend. I know of some good guides that might help.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Also ---- what are the exact requirements for long term storage ? Are movies as well as music stored?

Finally after the requirements are completely defined, those helping joe --- please lay out the exact system hardware / software complement that meets the user requirements.

I can play back hi res audio on my iphone, ipad, laptop, and raspberry pi. Oh and my Oppo BDP-93. In the house, on the road, streaming or cached locally. All from the same single set of data stored in my unRAID NAS.

Can you elaborate. Please start a new thread so not to hijack.

I was thinking about my android or a Tablet to stream to various systems in the house. I like the idea of Raspberry Pi method.