RS 62ii OR emotiva xpa 3

larbo13

LOL !! New question should I get Rs-62ii or Emotiva 3. I already have a power amp for my front three channels.(Anthem MCA 30) Was thinking of changing it out with the Emotiva, and using it for the rear speakers. Or should I change my surround speakers first ? Either way I will get both , but not right away. DONT tell my wife !! :( I guess my question is which one first ??

Thanks guy's and cheers. :emotion-22::emotion-22::emotion-22: ....

Replacing the Anthem with an Emo is not an upgrade.

You need to wait until I list my Anthem PVA-5. I should be placing the ad in a couple of days. Get the RS-62's and add my Anthem to the mix. :) And talk to your wife.

Bill

Edited by willland

LOL I always talk to my wife, nothing comes into this house without her knowing. Its only fair.

Really ?? anyone else have the same thought? Another anthem mca 30 will cost me 1600$ easy.(without tax) That's why im on the fence with this choice, if I get the Emotiva it's through the internet and if something goes wrong im @#!@# , cause I have to pay the shipping again. And wait even longer.

But I kinda agree with the surrounds. But then again get more power into my front 3... :unsure:

LOL I always talk to my wife, nothing comes into this house without her knowing. Its only fair.

Really ?? anyone else have the same thought? Another anthem mca 30 will cost me 1600$ easy.(without tax) That's why im on the fence with this choice, if I get the Emotiva it's through the internet and if something goes wrong im @#!@# , cause I have to pay the shipping again. And wait even longer.

But I kinda agree with the surrounds. But then again get more power into my front 3... :unsure:

how do you figure more power to front three? mca-30 is 225x3 and xpa-3 is 200x3? or am i reading wrong?

• Moderators
Really ?? anyone else have the same thought?

Although I have not personally heard the Anthem, I agree with Bill. I don't see the Emotiva XPA 3 would be an upgrade over the Anthem MCA 30. I would think Anthem would be a higher quality amp than the Emotiva. Emotiva is a great bang for your buck though.

But then again get more power into my front 3... :unsure:

Not really.....Anthem is 180 x 3, the Emotiva is 200 x 3. You will never hear 20 watts difference between the two. Remember, it takes twice the amount of power to increase the sound by 3dB. I still say surrounds would yield a much better result than switching to an Emotiva amp.

mca-30 is 225x3 and xpa-3 is 200x3? or am i reading wrong?

According to Anthem's website, the MCA 30 is 225 x 1 and 180 x 3.

Well now you got me thinking ,cant remember the wattage on the mca. Had it for about 5-6 years now. I would have to check. So if the Emotiva is 200w you don't think I would notice a big difference in sound if the mca is really 180w ? God you guys move to fast for me me lol.

larbo i also noticed in your signature that you have a 10 foot and a 12 foot sub? how do those compare to regular baby subs? id like to see them HUGE things in action. perhaps a quick youtube video of them in action? ;)

LMAO!!! I must of been drunk ! I fixed it . lol Good eye.

So if the Emotiva is 200w you don't think I would notice a big difference in sound if the mca is really 180w ?

Absolutely not.

Emotiva mfr's great bang for the buck amps, Anthem mfr's great amps. And some of the best preamp/processors you can buy.

Bill

• Moderators
Well now you got me thinking ,cant remember the wattage on the mca....I would have to check.

What's there to remember or check? I just gave it to you and provided a link to their website. LOL

So if the Emotiva is 200w you don't think I would notice a big difference in sound if the mca is really 180w ?

Absolutely not. My previous Parasound HCA2205a was 220 x 5 and my current Sherbourn 72100a amp is 200 x 7. Trust me, I don't hear a difference between 220 watts and 200 watts and likewise, you won't hear a difference between 180 watts and 200 watts.

Just for fun, let's do the math on your RF-7ii's. They are rated at 101 dB @ 1 meter with 1 watt.

1 watt = 101 dB

2 watt = 104 dB

4 watt = 107 dB

8 watt = 110 dB

16 watt = 113 dB

32 watt = 116 dB

64 watt = 119 dB

128 watt = 122 dB

256 watt = 125 dB

The loudest I have ever had it in my HT is around 110 dB and that was as loud as I ever want to listen to my system. See now why going from 180 to 200 watts / ch won't make any difference? It's more about the quality than it is the quantity.

Thanks for all the info , glad to hear I made a good choice with the anthem. I checked the link you put, cant believe there selling it for 2500$ I got mine for 1600$ Wow talk about inflation .

So guess my choice is made and I will go with the rs-62ii. Thanks guys.