As Promised, Here first: JBL Horn(s) Complete

minermark

I am in vegas, Let's talk.

You should. Those horns are the next best to k402's with the EV 9040 following only 1% behind

A pair of these on top of Khorn, LaScala, Belle's, MWMs, Quarter Pie, of even Cornwall with Mini DSP or other active filter for shelving and PEQ will reveal detail you never knew you had.

OK, I was working earlier and had no time to really look at this.

I have K Horns and La Scalas that I can use these on. I want to go passive, not active.

Will the aluminum diaphragms go down to 500 hz well (on the La Scalas)?

Do these need to go 3 way?

How hard will a crossover design be? The mids are 8 ohms and most heritage use 16 ohm. I think ALK's crossovers can use 8 or 16 ohm mids.

What about physical size? 32" deep on a 2' deep speaker. Will this fit OK?

Well im in no great hurry for the moment, I went Arab on the four Ev horns so we shall see how those do, I will sit on the JBLs until I hear from you for sure one way or another. how about the weekend to chew on the thought?

(Going Arab on Ebay is when you post something you really don't care about "cause nobody else does" at an insane price, it's the "Free Shipping" that sucks them in.

I sold a Sansui 8080 years back for $3000, it went to Dubai ......

• Like 2

I am in vegas, Let's talk.

You should. Those horns are the next best to k402's with the EV 9040 following only 1% behind

A pair of these on top of Khorn, LaScala, Belle's, MWMs, Quarter Pie, of even Cornwall with Mini DSP or other active filter for shelving and PEQ will reveal detail you never knew you had.

OK, I was working earlier and had no time to really look at this.

I have K Horns and La Scalas that I can use these on. I want to go passive, not active.

Will the aluminum diaphragms go down to 500 hz well (on the La Scalas)?

Do these need to go 3 way?

How hard will a crossover design be? The mids are 8 ohms and most heritage use 16 ohm. I think ALK's crossovers can use 8 or 16 ohm mids.

What about physical size? 32" deep on a 2' deep speaker. Will this fit OK?

I think your on the right track, with the right base it would work. I will be looking at Al's networks was well for my project. Last I spoke with him and don't quote me on this, he said his networks in a way were like universal networks and would work with either 8 ohm or 16 ohm. I don't think you need to go 3 way, recommended crossover is 500 hz so you should be good there, I think the horns them selves would go down to 350 with the right driver. I would go for it if I was you.

• Like 1

Well im in no great hurry for the moment, I went Arab on the four Ev horns so we shall see how those do, I will sit on the JBLs until I hear from you for sure one way or another. how about the weekend to chew on the thought?

(Going Arab on Ebay is when you post something you really don't care about "cause nobody else does" at an insane price, it's the "Free Shipping" that sucks them in.

I sold a Sansui 8080 years back for $3000, it went to Dubai ......

I gotta say they look effing way better on there now at $3200. may switch to 3k and entertain offers ya know but people truly interested will make contact the way you have them listed now. you really had me wound up...still kinda do lol that 300 was hurting the economical aspect of such a great pieces of audio equipment. So once again thank you for getting them out of my pricerange...time to get some sleep :)

edit:likely a good 60 day investment, meaning they will sell in time for what their worth

Edited by beeker
  • Like 2

OK, I was working earlier and had no time to really look at this. I have K Horns and La Scalas that I can use these on. I want to go passive, not active. Will the aluminum diaphragms go down to 500 hz well (on the La Scalas)? Do these need to go 3 way? How hard will a crossover design be? The mids are 8 ohms and most heritage use 16 ohm. I think ALK's crossovers can use 8 or 16 ohm mids. What about physical size? 32" deep on a 2' deep speaker. Will this fit OK?

You can probably cross them at 400 with an Extreme Slope, but if you go passive, you will need a tweeter. I don't know why people insist on cuffing themselves to passive networks, when bi-amping with Active Digital Xovers is so cheap and so much better at solving problems with speakers.

You CAN go 2-way with them, they have an amazing dispersion at 8 Khz, just as good as in the mids. Best to use them with active, like a Mini DSP, then you can do the HF Shelving, high order slopes, AND PEQ both halves.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 pairs of these, 2 way is fine and active xover is definitely the way to go, so much easier ( and cheaper) and adjustable to your ear in place after set up. I have one pair set up in the garage and a second pair I am upgrading the drivers to faital and am planning on mounting on klipschorn bases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk