Replacement for RF-5...?

oldenough

Simple question, what, if anything, would I have to gain by replacing my (cherry) RF-5's with one of the current reference offerings, or would my money be better spent up-grading my cross-overs? I have owned the 5's since new in 2001 just feeling that itch for something new, though I doubt I will get rid of them as they were bought for me as a present from my wife (she's also a keeper).

• Like 1

I have rf-5s and convinced my father in law to upgrade from his aging AR-14s to klipsch rf-82's. Wonderful sounding speakers, but nothing that made me jealous or suddenly unhappy with my rf-5's.

Now my Cornwalls are a different story. I do all of my music listening exclusively on those and only use my RF's for HT duty.

• Like 1

Hi billybob, yes I have gone that route before, had La Scalas, Heresy, Fortes, Kg4, I need the footprint that the Reference line offers, and regardless of what has already come and gone I do still enjoy what the RF-5's offer, regardless of the attachment I have for them.

• Like 2

I have rf-5s and convinced my father in law to upgrade from his aging AR-14s to klipsch rf-82's. Wonderful sounding speakers, but nothing that made me jealous or suddenly unhappy with my rf-5's.

Now my Cornwalls are a different story. I do all of my music listening exclusively on those and only use my RF's for HT duty.

Thad, would you say that the rf-82 offered any improvements over the rf-5?

• Like 1

No. It was like dr. pepper and dr. pepper made with cane sugar. Slight refinement in flavor but not enough for me to ditch what I've always been drinking just to have that "cane sugar" label.

Incremental refinement, but not nearly enough to justify the hassle of selling old and extra expense of buying new. For my father in law, however, it was like a whole new world had opened up and was hearing his favorite albums for the first time. Since I pushed him towards klipsch, that was gratifying for me.

• Like 1

I have been toying with the idea of up-grading the cross-overs on my rf-5's for quite some time now, and the more I think about it, the more I think it is the way to go. Deans explanations of upgrading x-overs seems to make convincing sense to me, would just mean being without speakers for a time. Not even sure if Dean would do the rf-5, I'm not confident of my ability to to do them myself.

• Like 2

Glad to know you have history with those various speakers. The more I hear about the RF5, the more I wonder what have been missing with the RF3's. We covered this before fairly recently, where the 5's were said to be more refined, maybe even better built(?). Am now thinking you have considered the RF-7's, and whether or not they would be a satisfying upgrade. X-Over upgrade does sound worthy of consideration. Noticed here that *DeanG has at the very least collaborated on the 7's X-O's. And then there are the 83's of course. Since you are going to keep the 5's, seems you have logically come to the X-O's for them. Cannot say that they are suffering from time, but seems to me that some are going to higher quality parts for X-O's for certain refinement.

In My Limited Opinion.

Thanks

• Like 2

How about a pair of RF7 ll which have the same horn as the RF5 so there would be an immediate connection thee. The CF3 or CF4 would provide you with a two way as well but this time with a larger horn. Best regards Moray James.

When I bought my RF5's I was also considering the RF-7, but I couldn't justify the extra expense, for what seemed at the time little gain. Of course I now realise that the RF-7 is more than just an incremental improvement, and I would jump on a pair if I came across them at a reasonable price. However this being Canada they are few and far between, and command a good price.

Of course I now realise that the RF-7 is more than just an incremental improvement, and I would jump on a pair if I came across them at a reasonable price. However this being Canada they are few and far between, and command a good price.

How about a pair of cherry RB-75's.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nvn/ele/4319666214.html

If these were in my neck of the woods(never seen a pair local in cherry), I would not hesitate.

00E0E_28G0xRRhMTH_600x450.jpg