The best looking La Scala ever?

Max2

• Moderators

The best looking LaScala to me was during a pilgrimage they had a new set of Walnut LaScala ll on the factory floor waiting to be boxed up. It was the first set I had seen, the thicker sidewalls and the perfect Walnut were amazing, the thicker wood really changed the whole look of the speaker.

A member here was selling a set later at a great price and it was hard to say no standing there looking at them, I was buying 402 horns and didn't have the money and really wanted the big horns. But they looked great.

These were equipped with the Crites cast-frame woofers and CT-125 tweeters, EV HR-90 horns tailored to fit , original K55-V drivers with new membranes plus ALK Universal crossovers.

They also have the bass-bin mod with two flared ports at the back.

You could say "these are no La Scala's anymore" and you are right. But, compared to a stock set of LS's they sounded much [and I mean MUCH...] more detailed and natural while mainaining the same livelyness as the stock ones.

Product of step-by-step modification over a number of years.

Recently sold them to a good friend, to make room for the rebuild University Classics. I do still enjoy them very much though when listening to music at his place.

For me they are still my favorite La Scala's !

post-33317-0-61100000-1402739689_thumb.j

post-33317-0-21800000-1402740091_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Money for Nothing really sounds good LOUD on my pair.

I have the Brothers in Arms on vinyl, and it sounds incredible on my LS. And I still have a crummy cart on my tt.

Bruce

Brothers In Arms CD is one of the best sounding CDs I have.

The remastered version that I also have is even better sounding.

Michael (Colterphoto1) says numerous live sound engineers use Brothers In Arms for listening tests of their rigs. He now uses the remastered version as he says that sounds even better. I'd love to get a 30th anniversary edition as I think it's supposed to sound even better.

Maybe more the DVD than the CD but the Eagles' Hell Freezes Over sounds really good to me.

• Like 1

Money for Nothing really sounds good LOUD on my pair.

I have the Brothers in Arms on vinyl, and it sounds incredible on my LS. And I still have a crummy cart on my tt.

Bruce

Brothers In Arms CD is one of the best sounding CDs I have.

The remastered version that I also have is even better sounding.

Michael (Colterphoto1) says numerous live sound engineers use Brothers In Arms for listening tests of their rigs. He now uses the remastered version as he says that sounds even better. I'd love to get a 30th anniversary edition as I think it's supposed to sound even better.

Maybe more the DVD than the CD but the Eagles' Hell Freezes Over sounds really good to me.

This is an interesting album, as it was originally recorded on a Sony 24 track DASH digital recorder. Sample rate wasn't that high, but they were meticulous in the recording.

• Like 1