How to connect La Scalas to a PC

Dave A

BTW, I have an Audiophile USB M-Audio outboard DAC I found to have the best cost/performance I'd heard in an outboard. However, they quit making it and updating the drivers and they don't seem to get along with Win7 or 8...though can't say I really blame it!

Interestingly, still works nicely with Linux generic drivers. Go figure...

Dave

They will not fix CRAP recordings though
:lol:

But you can bet they'll sound their very WORST!

Dave

Thats an interesting perspective, I never really put that together. Upon reflection I do believe you are correct though. Stuff I could stomach before I absolutely

cannot stand to listen to now . I guess as a system evolves and gets more resolving, I get used to the better sound quality, and the poor quality is made more

prominent :angry:

Or maybe I'm just getting older and more cantankerous and am losing my ability to overlook the lacking quality !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nah not me I like version 1, I will blame the system :blink:

Thats an interesting perspective, I never really put that together. Upon reflection I do believe you are correct though

Never have doubted it. It's why so many don't like horns...MERCILESSLY transparent. It's also why "horns love tubes." SS is more accurate, and combine SS and horns if you want to hear just how bad the majority of recordings really are.

Personally, I want a little mercy on the amp end...

Dave

I have an Audiophile 2496 card in a Windows 7 box and it works great. I also have a Tascam USB 122, also no longer made, but it works pretty well for my uses.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

Been using one of these for years http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291097050019?lpid=82 connects from the pc speaker jack to the hifi system. There is another where you can still connect to the desktop speakers and the hifi system. One plugs into the back of the other.

Welcome to the forum Tone Boss.

That's been the recommendation of others as well. It is definitely the most versatile of all suggestions. I have a one I bought at Ratshack a while back that I use frequently on all kinds of equipment. Definitely something that everybody should own.

Been using one of these for years http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291097050019?lpid=82 connects from the pc speaker jack to the hifi system. There is another where you can still connect to the desktop speakers and the hifi system. One plugs into the back of the other.

That's been the recommendation of others as well. It is definitely the most versatile of all suggestions. I have a one I bought at Ratshack a while back that I use frequently on all kinds of equipment. Definitely something that everybody should own.

If you go that route, I'd order from Monoprice.

Thanks Mustang Guy, I don't own Klipsch speakers but I hope to one day. Great forum.

Thanks Mustang Guy, I don't own Klipsch speakers but I hope to one day. Great forum.

Just let us know when you have a budget for speakers. We love spending other people's money. :)

Just let us know when you have a budget for speakers. We love spending other people's money. :)

haha, will do.

Get a 3mm to rca wire and try it. If its not what you want then read beyond this point...

If you downloaded digital media and prefer it be analog then yes a dac is no doubt advised for use. Using a dac completely depends on if you want digital media to be converted. Likewise a cad converting analog to digital material if you so prefer...everybodys on the dac kick as im sure manufacturers Love$. dacs are hip to the times specifically for the use of converting material mostly consisting of phone type devices that do not have sound capabilities modern pc's have. i have studio gear that would do very well. No doubt best choice would be a simple or a nice gold plated 3.5mm to rca as well works super on modern pc's/mac. great quality sound. i stream music near endlessly at times. easily equal quality to my yamaha cd s-2000 which i could also run music through. the less wire as well as machines you use the better. pure fact not opinion unless you truly need digital material converted to analog.

unless your pc is more than 3 years old and possibly a bit older a dac is not needed depending on the material and preferences you have. A dac will actually complicate the signal and sound inferior in many cases. Yes your going to read everywhere dac dac dac etc etc etc...its about $. A good pre will do every bit as well as a dac depending on preferences. Sure and especially through what are becoming archives on dac's because of the digital downloads some people may find some dac's provide superior reproduction then again its like catsup or ketchup or mustard or plain its all choice...

• Like 3

Yes to the 3mm to RCA idea and I have one on order that should be here today. Now fiddling around today looking at system devices I discover that the Nvidia Quadro K2000 graphics card I have has 2 HDMI ports and in addition I have a SoundMax integrated Hi Def card to so between the two if the cable does not work right I am certain something can be done with the other ports. I am victim of being to literal at times and I looked at ports only in Device Manger instead of being clever enough to look at the sound and video section. First things first though and if the cheapo solution works I am all for it. Downloading some 24/96 audio and I will see how that helps out to if indeed it was done right. Next on the list would be the HDMI and is that the better way anyway? A hookup for that to the Onkyo cant be much although I am going to have to go look and see if there is an HDMI port on it. In any case looking at all the responses I know this can be done one way or another.

None of my Workstations are three years old yet Beeker. With CAD design and machining programs there are to many compelling reasons to keep pretty current with technology because times does matter and faster is better.

Dave,

How do you like the sound of your 8050? I have the Integra version DTM-40.4 and I love the way it sounds with my Heresys. Great detail, bass drive, and great imaging. I am totally blown away by the sound quality. I also like the networking features(PC wireless music streaming, Pandora, Spotify, etc.) although as you mentioned, it can be a bit clunky.

Maybe you could look into a Cambridge Audio NP30 or Stream Magic 6 to handle the streaming duties.

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/stream-magic-6-upsampling-network-music-player

Bill

Yes to the 3mm to RCA idea and I have one on order that should be here today. Now fiddling around today looking at system devices I discover that the Nvidia Quadro K2000 graphics card I have has 2 HDMI ports and in addition I have a SoundMax integrated Hi Def card to so between the two if the cable does not work right I am certain something can be done with the other ports. I am victim of being to literal at times and I looked at ports only in Device Manger instead of being clever enough to look at the sound and video section. First things first though and if the cheapo solution works I am all for it. Downloading some 24/96 audio and I will see how that helps out to if indeed it was done right. Next on the list would be the HDMI and is that the better way anyway? A hookup for that to the Onkyo cant be much although I am going to have to go look and see if there is an HDMI port on it. In any case looking at all the responses I know this can be done one way or another.

None of my Workstations are three years old yet Beeker. With CAD design and machining programs there are to many compelling reasons to keep pretty current with technology because times does matter and faster is better.

Sounds like you will be good to go. Give it a try and if you find your music i'd describe as soft and a bit staticky a dac may help you out. Even at that point i have found some very simple cheap dac's to work 100% as well as some costing well over $1k. It is preference just like lots of people use turntables or reel to reel machines or even a cd. The best of luck to you

• Like 2

Yep, just use an HDMI cable to your AVR. This will use your AVR's DACs which it sounds like you're fine with. Any newer video card will work with HDMI out. I use nvidia, but it doesn't do 88.2khz bitstreaming, so you may want an ATI card.

My setup sounds fantastic, and there's a lot of multi-channel music out there too. Also, look into Foobar 2000 if you want to bypass any processing the windows audio stack does. Foobar is free and has some awesome plugins.

I listen to my setup via a i3NUC with the built in audio via the HDMI cable and it sounds great.

• Like 1