cornwall test report

Guest " "

Got a pair. I've not heard khorns, scalas, or belles. But I do know this-my Cornwalls in the same room or one in each room as I've seen done before are hard to beat. I am not an engineer nor do I have training that many do. Just listening to the music tells these ears all they need to know. Very interesting read.

before i read this i've always said some of the best recordinds to play on cornwalls was clapton unplugged-neil young unplugged and now the DVD-A disc of yellow brick road - ELP brain salad surgery

and when you have not so good recordings they sound not so good

Edited by Budman

Maybe I missed as I read the test report quickly over several sittings while doing other stuff, but given the sqwaker goes to 20kHz and the tweeter covers the same ground, what advantages are gained from the overlap and why?

I am sure someone has tried a two way cornwall. Later I will try to find where that has been tried and explained, but its facinating to a non engineer how the three way cornwall works.

I love the digital vs analog views at the end of the report.

I think most Cornwall crossovers are set up that way. The midhorn has a natural acoustic roll-off starting at 6kHz, it doesn't get to 20kHz. The tweeter is tacked-in at 6kHz, where the midhorn starts to roll-off. Most stock Klipsch tweeters in a Cornwall extend to 17kHz.

The midhorn has a natural acoustic roll-off starting at 6kHz
Sloppy reading on my part.

From the report:

Mid-range driver is attenuated nearly by 5 dB. It works from 600Hz up to 20 kHz and above, free and
without any crossover limitation. So, above 6 kHz mid-range speaker - limited only by its natural roll-off
frequency - electrically operates in parallel with the tweeter.

So I mistakenly took the graph just below the above quote to be the operation of the drivers when its obviously the operation of the crossover.

I think most Cornwall crossovers are set up that way. The midhorn has a natural acoustic roll-off starting at 6kHz, it doesn't get to 20kHz. The tweeter is tacked-in at 6kHz, where the midhorn starts to roll-off. Most stock Klipsch tweeters in a Cornwall extend to 17kHz.

It's mass rolloff at 6 Khz. My K-402 "super midrange" horns and Klipsch K-1133 drivers I (2" throat with titatnium diaphragm) are used the same way. I use a single capacitor for a 320 hz. high pass filter and let the natural 6 db/octave rolloff at 4500 Hz. do it's thing. I then use the QSC "mini me" tweeter with a 1" B&C DE-250 driver, which goes down to 800 Hz. but, to mate with the Midrange natural rolloff, I use a single capacitor for a 4500 Hz. high pass filter. The sensitivities of the two are very close and Audyssey Multi EQ XT takes care of the rest, since the room reflections dominate after that. The woofer horn needs seperate voltage gain and active Xover, however.