Caps for Peach

eth2

Mike,

Thanks. Unfortunately this is Greek to me. I am looking for someone to recommend the "best" cap for the Peach (whatever that means).For example is there a benefit to Auricaps over Hovland? I listen mostly to Blues Jazz and Classical so someone please tell me what to do. Hmmm, that did not come out quite as I meant it. .

Mike,

Thanks. Unfortunately this is Greek to me. I am looking for someone to recommend the "best" cap for the Peach (whatever that means).For example is there a benefit to Auricaps over Hovland? I listen mostly to Blues Jazz and Classical so someone please tell me what to do. Hmmm, that did not come out quite as I meant it. .

Beyond me as well. I thought you might like to see the geography and space available. I am really shocked that there has been no opinions on this. It is very unlike folks here to miss an opportunity. Perhaps if you had asked what CABLES to use during hook up.......

I have not heard a Peach re-capped, I have heard an Emotive Audio Sira that was both stock caps, and V-caps. The V-cap version certainly seemed to have more high end extension, certainly what I considered brighter

It was not to a point I considered Bright or Harsh, Possibly considered just brighter, or better clarity. Overall I believe the upgrade was around 1000.00 and In my opinion not really worth the price

If you are on the fence with the peach, I would say take it stock and listen B-4 spending any extra. Caps dont tend to make a day and night difference,

They do make a difference, but its usually not jaw dropping, They can be used to tune a piece to your preference IE... if you feel its a tad rolled off on the top, or dark, try a cap that has a brighter reputation

When it comes to designers of tube gear, I like to think they experiment a bit to find what they feel offers the best sound / cost quality to them (Mark can comment on this). There is no way for you to know if you will like the sound untill you hear it

Just my 02

Joe, I sure hope those v - caps had 20 hours on them before you heard them.

I know exactly what belongs in a Peach.

PayPal me $20 for the answer. That's the going rate for tapping into my overactive imagination. : )

Good one Deano! 20 hours is not even CLOSE to being enough for V-Caps.

I'm intrigued on sending my Peach back as much as others. I do not however, know beans about what a cap does other than (I think) store a charge.

So, aside from advising me to not stick my tongue on a charged cap, can someone put into really simple lay terms, what a cap might do in the system?

My brain works best when it's put to the extreme (to stay away from Mark's Ferrari verses Lambo analogy as they're both "ok" in my book!)

If you have the crappiest cheapest, drippiest cap installed (brand new and up to spec) verses the fanciest Ferrari cap installed, what's going to happen?

I've got a feeling that I'm not going to give a hoot about caps.... I think my attraction would be the balanced output possibilities.

Second... what would the enhanced power supply do for the common fruit?

In my eyes, a power supply simply provides some volts/current to the system. I don't think a bigger one provides more power, does it? Again, in stupid person words (that would be me), what's the benefit of a Ferrari power supply?

• Like 1

I say that since you're only taking one shot at this, do it right.

I'm in my car running errands. When I get home I'll post my recommendation - I need to check the dimensions.

I fear that DeanG has joined the crew and passengers of the missing Boeing 777. Can't stay awake much longer Dean and the suspense is killing me.

Joe, I sure hope those v - caps had 20 hours on them before you heard them.

I know exactly what belongs in a Peach.

PayPal me $20 for the answer. That's the going rate for tapping into my overactive imagination. : )

LOL :D

A friend made a deal with Fred (like 5 years ago now) and we got 4 Sira made, His had the V-cap mod. I was able to hear it fresh out of the box and well beyond 50 / 100 hours break in

My impressions were just that, Mine and not necessarily inline with others impressions

I should say i was running an oris horn setup, and he had avantgarde dou, both very efficient horn systems

Edited by joessportster

The Hovland is a very nice film and aluminum foil, and these will always sound cleaner and more transparent than all but the very best of the metallized types. The Auricap, though a metallized capacitor, is a great part, and there really isn't any reason to move away from it. I was looking for some polystyrene film caps, and I found some, but they only went to 3uF. Jupiter Flat Stack Films would be awesome, but they are too big and they're challenging to mount. Parts that can't be easily inserted/integrated onto the existing board should be ruled out. There are no film and foils that I'm aware of that will work here, so we only have metallized caps to choose from. That's okay though, because there are few that sound a little more open than the Auricap.

Mundorf Supreme, 800Vdc

Jantzen Superior Z, 800Vdc

I run the the Jantzen Superiors in my personal crossovers, they sound cleaner to me than the Auricap (which I tried first).

So, aside from advising me to not stick my tongue on a charged cap, can someone put into really simple lay terms, what a cap might do in the system?

The caps in discussion are called coupling caps. They couple the audio signal to the output jack. The output of a tube has two things: The audio signal we want, and the DC plate voltage, like 100 VDC, that we don't want. Something has to allow the audio signal to pass, and at the same time block all the DC voltage that we don't want on the output of the preamp. Pass this, block that.

If you have the crappiest cheapest, drippiest cap installed (brand new and up to spec) verses the fanciest Ferrari cap installed, what's going to happen?

Pass and block, remember? The blocking is pretty easy, and almost any cheapo cap will do the blocking just fine. Ahhh, but the passing is the challenge. We need to pass this audio signal with it's millions and millions of delicate tendrils and not destroy, remove, shave, blunt, or otherwise affect the audio signal. Unfortunately, this is nearly an impossible task. The capacitor is imperfect and it wants to ever so slightly do something to that audio signal. The reason to spend money then, is to prevent any kinds of alteration.

The difference between the $55 capacitor that is now in your Peach, and a $300 one that you might buy to replace it, is um, very, very subtle. It would only be heard by very careful, attentive, dedicated, listening under ideal conditions.

Coytee - Thank you for asking the questions (I was too embarrassed to ask).

Mark - Thank you for answering. I am learning so much in this Forum.

Mark, thank you for the clarity. I've never known what a cap does other than hold a charge.

Eth, I specialize in showing my ignorance. It's easy for me to do when I have so much of it. :)

The difference between the $55 capacitor that is now in your Peach, and a $300 one that you might buy to replace it, is um, very, very subtle. It would only be heard by very careful, attentive, dedicated, listening under ideal conditions.

Note to self: Do not schedule a couple cap listening competition while mucking about in the basement with pneumatic nailer, circular saws & right angle drills and wearing 30 db over ear hearing protection at the same time.

:emotion-21:

• Like 1