Cornwall Acquisition-My continuing adventure

dbomberger

After receiving clearance from the power that is, I purchased the Cornwalls I had auditioned. The seller mentioned having some paperwork somewhere and I made getting such, part of the deal. In the large envelope was confirmation of the consecutive serial numbers, which are already on the tags and stamped into the cabinet, but instructions on installing the upgrade that the seller believed had been done-upgrading these to B-2 status.

Well that left me wondering but wasn't "proof" and being a "trust but verify" guy in business matters these days, I finally opened them up this morning and took a series of photos, some of which are attached. The crossover say's "B" but then has scratched into it "- 2". This is unlike photos of other labels I find on the net, but otherwise look like the same unit. My question for those with far greater experience than I have is just to confirm that these are in fact Klipsch B-2 crossovers.

The important thing of course is that they sound as great as I'd hoped.

Thanks in advance.

post-58202-0-00020000-1395600886_thumb.j

post-58202-0-04780000-1395600905_thumb.j

post-58202-0-91220000-1395600940_thumb.j

post-58202-0-68820000-1395600963_thumb.j

post-58202-0-99020000-1395600979_thumb.j

post-58202-0-99380000-1395601006_thumb.j

• Like 1

Something doesn't look quite right...

I thought you were referring to the K-51-V mid driver. I had a pair a while back, but long gone.

I can't find the page (will probably need to try Google instead of the forum search), but here is the excerpt that I have for the B2 and the K-51-V.

June 5th, 1981: The updated B2 network, with steeper crossover slopes is phased in with no changes to the K-33-E, K-55-V and K-77-M driver compliment.

October 19th, 1981 - March 1983: The transition between four different iterations of the midrange driver from revolving sources occurs during this period. The original K-55-V was changed to a K-51-V (10/19/81) This marked the first time in the Cornwall's history that it used a driver set that differed from that of the Klipschorn®. The K-51-V was then changed to the K-55-G (essentially a ceramic magnet version of the Atlas Alnico K-55-V). The K-55-G was then changed to the Hepner built K-52-H and finally the Klipsch built K-52-K.

• Like 1

congrats on your speakers. the serial number is stamped in the wood on the rear of the speaker ( top center ) looks like the letter R on the label which is 1977 you can confirm that with the numbers on the label that someone highlighted. the type should be something like C-WO

seems to me the midrange driver should be a K-55V from the factory

Edited by Budman
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. This is all very interesting. Yes the stamped number and label agree, making these 1977 apparently. Since the crossover was updated, maybe the midrange might have been as well. Like I imagined, this is just the beginning of of they adventure it seems. As suggested, I imagine I'll want to refresh or replace the crossovers in any event.

congrats on your speakers. the serial number is stamped in the wood on the rear of the speaker ( top center ) looks like the letter R on the label which is 1977 you can confirm that with the numbers on the label that someone highlighted. the type should be something like C-WO

seems to me the midrange driver should be a K-55V from the factory

I was wondering about the serial number. I did notice that there is a "R" stamped on the mid driver; therefore, I'm wondering if someone had a repair that involved replacing the driver and the crossover may have been updated too and 'engraved' with the '2'?

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

Thanks again for all the feedback. One thought that comes to mind as I look into the packet that came with the speakers. There are two pieces of paper related to the upgrade (update). One is titled "Update Kit for Klipsch Cornwall Crossover Network) (Type B to Type B-2). It lists all of the components provided, the tools required, and six different instructions. The second page is a set of before and after schematics. This would explain why the scratched in "2" would be there as it is decidedly less elegant than anything I would associate with fine workmanship. Still as others have suggested and I am experiencing-they sound great for now.

• Like 1

The K51V (Atlas) had the two port phase plug with a ceramic magnet. The magnet had a bit of a problem slipping, probably why yours has an 'R' driver.

Klipsch reject a bunch of a varient of these drivers (had a metal cover on the back, similar to the K55M), which Atlas sold as the MDMR.

Edited by djk
  • Like 1