bi-amp of RF-7 II main speakers

sweeko

Sorry, newbie here.

Is doing a Bi-Amp of my RF-7 II main speakers worth going from a 7.2 setup to a 5.1 on my Onkyo NR-808 Receiver?

Will the bass and treble sound be that much better? I do have a Velodyne 12" sub that sounds great.

Also, what are the Topic Tags and how are they used?

Sweeko,

Welcome to the forum.

Is doing a Bi-Amp of my RF-7 II main speakers worth going from a 7.2 setup to a 5.1 on my Onkyo NR-808 Receiver? Will the bass and treble sound be that much better?

Passive biamping with an AVR's surround back channels will not make a significant improvement.

Add this and you will not have to give up your 7.2 system and will reap the benefits of better bass drive and more detail in the midrange and treble. Of course a bit more $$$ will have to be spent.

Bill

http://worcester.craigslist.org/ele/4356181163.html

00y0y_99evZUElPO_600x450.jpg00O0O_8ZbL165OjhX_600x450.jpg

Edited by willland

I ran a pair of 7's bi-amped with very good results. Had a Yamaha M-80 on LF (250 wpc) and a small Rotel (50 wpc) going to the horns. It really mellowed the horns out at high volume levels. The 7's are power hungry monsters and can take just about all you woul d ever want to give em'.

I could go on & on...

Yes, you will benefit from bi-amping, if you do it right :)

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum, Sweeko!

Rock on ♪ ♫ ♪

Edited by Matt 1970
  • Like 1

Yes, you will benefit from bi-amping, if you do it right :)

Matt,

It looks like Sweeko is referring to receiver bi-amping with the rear surround channels, not true bi-amping like vertical or horizontal.

I could be wrong but that is how I take his question.

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, and yes I have been using the surround back posts for the front tweeter speakers. I absolutely love these speakers and the beautiful sound they provide me, (I do like my sound out loud), but of course change is good and making Improvements is always the way with me, and from what I am reading here on the forum, with you all as well. :-)

Using bi-amp fronts is good, if you do it right (using vertical or horizontal?).

What I am going to do is re-wire my system to 7.2, eliminate the bi-amp and "do it the right way", once I find out whatever that is. Hopefully with your helpful suggestions.

Thanks again. Good to here.

One other question. In going from 5.1 to 7.2, should I go with front wide speakers or add in surround back speakers?

One other question. In going from 5.1 to 7.2, should I go with front wide speakers or add in surround back speakers?

If it were me, I would opt for surround backs over front wides. A good AVR or pre/pro will simulate front wides through your main front speakers very well. I am sure the same can be said about surround back information but that would be my preference.

Bill

Thanks guys, Surround backs it is. Gonna do it today and let you know how it works out.

Another question: The speaker wire. I use Monster wire. Forget what AWG but it is fairly heavy. What I did to the wire before I used it, is first measure the length needed, add some more and cut it. Then I went outside and tied one end of the wire to something stationary. I then attached the other end of the wire to a drill, pulled back very lightly and ran the drill to twist the +/- of the wire so that I get approximately 11 or 12 turns per foot. I forget most everything I read, so don't ask. There must have been something I read in the past that said on a long run of wire, this will improve performance. Go ahead laugh, but the sound is good, and no I am not an engineer. The surround back wire length will be about 45 feet

So, now that you have stopped laughing, what kind of wire do you use? Please don't tell me $8,000 cable from the planet mars. Something reasonable I can afford please. Thanks.

Thanks Youthman, last night I ordered 200' of the pure copper speaker wire from Monoprice and am going to replace all the wiring for my setup. I had been using speaker wire from Home Depot and did some research after reading your email to me, and low and behold their wire is partly aluminum and not pure copper.

• Moderators

Good deal. Just curious, what Velodyne are you using? I began my HT with Velodyne and went from a CT-100 to an F-1500 to a single HGS15 to dual HGS15's. I bought a Klipsch RSW-15 and it performed as well as the dual Velodyne HGS15' so I sold them.