24 bit dac question

davis419b

• Moderators
I have got SMOKE coming out of my ears trying to take all of this in as every bit of it is way over my head but I really thank everyone for trying to help me with the problem.

I know how you feel, I went through something just as annoying thing when trying to connect my DAC, But I had a different problem. I know enough about computers to be dangerous.

Your going to get it figured out, it sounds like the computer is outputting to something else and not the usb ? Try the other just to make sure that's not the problem.

Your going to get it figured out, probably just a setting.

Based on a picture of the manual that Don just sent me it would appear that 24-bit audio is supported on toslink/coax only, with USB support limited to 16-bit. It would seem that he has an older revision of the DAC than what is currently sold on the Cambridge website.

So he has two potential issues: properly configuring his USB device in Windows, and downsampling his higher res audio on the fly for proper playback through the DAC. I've pointed him to a Foobar plugin called SOX to handle that latter issue, but I have no experience with Foobar configurations.

I know even less about this than anyone here, but it seems to be a sound settings thing rather than a printer issue. Whoever suggested downloading software might be on to something -- I believe the Dragonfly included software internally and downloaded it on first use, so maybe software's necessary.

If you go to start, then devices and printers, do you see the DAC?

The seller just happened to bring over a cable that he said cost I believe $600 that he would sell me for $150. I did not buy it but it but he left it with me. The one I am using is a very cheap one that my nephew had and said it was used for printers I think.

No

Have you tried a different USB cable?

I know even less about this than anyone here, but it seems to be a sound settings thing rather than a printer issue. Whoever suggested downloading software might be on to something -- I believe the Dragonfly included software internally and downloaded it on first use, so maybe software's necessary.

You might be right but it seems like every time I try to download something like a manual I get more than what I was wanting like some king of virus.

• Moderators
Based on a picture of the manual that Don just sent me it would appear that 24-bit audio is supported on toslink/coax only, with USB support limited to 16-bit. It would seem that he has an older revision of the DAC than what is currently sold on the Cambridge website.

Would this help, it's what I had to get it converts USB to toslink and coax ? But not for windows 8

Where I bought it http://www.audioadvisor.com/NuForce-U192S-USB-to-S_PDIF-Converter/productinfo/NUU192S/#.U1APTH4o64Q

Company site https://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=33:u192s&Itemid=185

Edited by dtel

Would this help, it's what I had to get it converts USB to toslink and coax ? But not for windows 8

Where I bought it http://www.audioadvisor.com/NuForce-U192S-USB-to-S_PDIF-Converter/productinfo/NUU192S/#.U1APTH4o64Q

Company site https://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=33:u192s&Itemid=185

I hope you are right because that I can afford. I have reached my limit on what I can spend on gear for the moment. This week has been very expensive !