Curious about heritage speakers

Cosmic_surfer

If you do so chose khorn, belle or lascala or other like heritage style speakers in surround sound it would be strongly urged to pair that or them with a horn subwoofer setup as well..

Yes! Because horn-loaded Heritage (Khorn/Belle/La Scala) and Jubilee (also horn-loaded) will have tighter bass than almost any conventional sub, you would want a horn-loaded sub. Search the forum and find at least two discussed (the Tuba and another), and Google "Horn-loaded subwoofer."

How many people are this rattled by a comment. I truly respect all...seems a bit up tight to exclaim my opinion which only strengthens the facts. That is all I am about. Facts and sharing them.

• Like 1

• Moderators
the longer i own klipsch, the more I want to follow the rabbit into wonderland.

Just be aware that the hole is big and deep and you never seem to come out of the hole. It gets kinda comfy down here. Haha

I've owned my share of both Reference and Heritage (current debate going on right now on which are truly heritage speakers). To my ears, the Reference are amazing for HT. I just acquired my first pair of LaScalas and as soon as I can carve out some time, I want to do some direct A/B Comparison between my RF-83 and the LaScalas for both HT and 2ch. As mentioned, you will need a solid sub for both Reference and for Heritage but the Reference will provide more bottom end.

I'm in the process myself of trying to determine which I will keep in my HT (RF-83 or LaScala).

My advice, try and listen to as many different Klipsch speakers that you can so you can tell for yourself what your ears prefer.

• Like 2

They don't sound anything alike, not even remotely in the same ballpark. Heritage has a horn loaded midrange (compression driver) that runs to the hot side, and Reference does the midrange with cones.

Heritage is an acquired taste. They are not smoother than Reference, in fact, they closely mimic a live performance, which often sounds brash and disjointed. Many end up changing the horns and tweeters in order to find the smoothness and refined quality found in Reference and other more conventional designs. With Reference, by the time the horn takes over - the midrange is long gone.

Based on the information you provided, it doesn't sound like you have room for what amounts to being rather large plywood boxes, and trust me, it's a sound you will want to hear first before investing in.

The 7s will serve you well, I owned them for many years before moving to Klipschorns and then Jubilees. I've also owned Heresys and Cornwalls. I eventually sold everything and built my own monitors, craving simplicity. Enjoy where you're at, you may someday find yourself wishing you'd never left.

• Like 3

I mentioned that i recently jumped into home theatre and purchased a fleet of reference class speakers. I have started getting interested in the heritage series speakers (Khorns, la scala, belle, etc.) and was curious how these compared to the reference speakers i purchased (rf-7, rc-7, rs-7, rsw-1)? I have seen from the specs that the heritage class speakers dont really have the punch that my reference speakers have, but do they excel in areas that my reference speakers do not? Is it feasible to assemble a second set of theatre speakers consisting entirely of heritage speakers? I definitely am appealed to their furniture like appeal.

following Deans post i would certainly suggest before ever trying a heritage monitor getting in touch with him to do some work on your networks. I have talked to Dean and have never yet had him do work for me yet...Although to get the most of your rf7's its just simple fact Dean will provide you with both the ultimate use of them and knowledge&support as to what is making them so much better than stock. Once again this is not Dean approved and the only other time i did suggest this Dean jumped in and disregarded my comment. I'm just trying to help you out especially if your looking at something new...just use what you have for now to its fullest...then possibly move on. With Deans upgrades your reference speakers will be greatly valued as well. Cheers

• Like 1

The newer reference xo lower than the older did and the horn does more of the midrange then it use too. Like a Cornwall 3 xo is 800hz for the midrange I think. And the rf7ii horn xo is 1250. So they are pretty close and might be why to my ears the rf7ii sound very similar to my Cornwalls.

Edited by reference_head
  • Like 1

Well the basement that will be our theatre is fairly large. The only issue comes with a support beam in about the center of the whole room. If I had to guess I would say it is probably a 15x20 foot space. As of right now the television will go in a corner, my wife wanted a sectional for the basement (I wanted theatre seating, but we have to make sacrifices where necessary). It will be a little tight in the comer with the tv and the 2 rf-7s being jammed into it. The back of the couch is against that support beam, so we only have maybe a 5 foot distance to the tv.

Not the ideal setup, but it is our first house... Im only 30, but I would like to acquire the tech as soon as I am able because the room can be created in a house that has a more ideal area for home theatre.

What is the ceiling height of your basement? Most Heritage speakers are okay with 7.5-8 foot ceilings, but Klipschorns are recommended to be used in rooms with at least 8-1/2 foot ceilings.

If you can swing it, why not just go for Jubilees? They work well in large or small rooms, and in one step you'd be at the top of the line (keep it down, you MCM types!). It's actually less expensive in the long run than trading up step by step, and you'd be listening to really good sound right from the start.

JubScalas or JubScala IIs are only a good deal if you already have La Scalas or LS2s, since the total price difference between them and full Jubilees is not that large.

As for theatre seating, IMHO a reclining sofa or sectional with reclining parts is more flexible for more uses than the usual theatre-type seats.